SiouxSports.com Forum

USD @ UND 11/12/22

Dustin

6 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

D2 roster and coaches that can’t coach? That’s not UND, to be clear. But things can still improve. They always can. 

Someone is a bit sensitive, huh? 

Yep, sure seems like you are...since now you are back peddling on your D2 comments.  

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Yep, sure seems like you are...since now you are back peddling on your D2 comments.  

I shouldn’t have to clarify anything, BUT, my comments still stand. Several of UND’s current players held only D2 offers when they were recruited by UND. Example: Tommy Schuster. Obviously, that’s not entirely true for entire team (there’s several FCS transfers and others who held DI offers). Also, some of those players with only D2 offers, like Tommy, have ascended big time. That’s more an exception, though, than the norm. UND still can and should boost their recruiting yield. Consistently making the playoffs should help.  

But again, I’m not sensitive, because I actually detail everything. The mafia on this site just swarms on the same damn thing without any justification. Funny how that works, huh? It is very sad that UND has a group like that associated it with it, but doesn’t surprise me. 

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I shouldn’t have to clarify anything, BUT, my comments still stand. Several of UND’s current players held only D2 offers when they were recruited by UND. Example: Tommy Schuster. Obviously, that’s not entirely true for entire team (there’s several FCS transfers and others who held DI offers). Also, some of those players with only D2 offers, like Tommy, have ascended big time. That’s more an exception, though, than the norm. UND still can and should boost their recruiting yield. Consistently making the playoffs should help.  

But again, I’m not sensitive, because I actually detail everything. The mafia on this site just swarms on the same damn thing without any justification. Funny how that works, huh? It is very sad that UND has a group like that associated it with it, but doesn’t surprise me. 

Do you just not like Bubba or what is the issue?  Want a different staff?

40 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Here is what you do though............If someone says something positive about UND football.....you are right there to say...."yeah but" and then something negative.  Then if somebody says something negative, or could be construed as mildly negative........such as "just win".....you are also immediately there to say that is a losers mentality.  You sit here and split hairs on everything we say.....no matter what it is....good or bad and add some negative comment to it and act like if we all just had the same mentality as you it would solve all of the problems, it just gets old.   I know before I've changed something I was going to say before posting it.....because I knew you'd say something about how that is a losers mentality blah blah blah.   If we give praise to a coach, player or the program.....we know there will be a comment from you about it.....usually trying to beat that positive comment down in whatever fashion you can.  So if you want to talk about sad, sometime you may need to look in the mirror.  

I'm pretty sure all of us are ok with some constructive criticism of the team from time to time because I don't think hardly any of us feel we are where we want or need to be at, and it has certainly taken a lot longer than most of us would hope.  The next 3-4 weeks will be telling, we will see how it goes.  You said yesterday your comment was low risk high reward, and that is what I said about your comments two weeks ago.  You can say a bunch of stuff like they won't be ready to play.......or that we have mostly D2 players, or we will go 6-5 after the SDSU loss......but if we win...... we don't care and just forget about it.  But if we lose.....you can sit there and say I told you so all week and/or off season.  So congrats, you've really positioned yourself perfectly on that because only 1 team in the FCS ends the year happy. 

Ok end of rant and done with this topic for the rest of the year. 

P.S. Great insight though on your comment that......"can always do better"....that never occurred to any of us before.  

Thanks, but no thanks, for the psychological assessment. 

Your entire rant was chaotic. It would be the healthiest to just stop worrying about my predictions and whether or not I’m right or wrong. 

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”
- Henry Ford
  • Downvote 1

57 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Do you just not like Bubba or what is the issue?  Want a different staff?

UND is on a 3 game winning streak. Let’s see how things go. I just want consistency and progress. Going from playoffs to a losing season is no way to build a program. It’s happened a couple times (2016 to 2017, 2021 seasons) to this program under the current staff and that propagates mediocrity.

But maybe things are fixed now. We’ll see. 

But, like I mentioned, UND appears destined for playoffs this season so let’s see how it plays out.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I shouldn’t have to clarify anything, BUT, my comments still stand. Several of UND’s current players held only D2 offers when they were recruited by UND. Example: Tommy Schuster. Obviously, that’s not entirely true for entire team (there’s several FCS transfers and others who held DI offers). Also, some of those players with only D2 offers, like Tommy, have ascended big time.

According to Indiana State’s head coach they were interested with Tommy. Unless he was just puffing up UND the last few minutes. 

I do agree, the more consistent winning the deeper our recruiting class can be.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Here is what you do though............If someone says something positive about UND football.....you are right there to say...."yeah but" and then something negative.  Then if somebody says something negative, or could be construed as mildly negative........such as "just win".....you are also immediately there to say that is a losers mentality.  You sit here and split hairs on everything we say.....no matter what it is....good or bad and add some negative comment to it and act like if we all just had the same mentality as you it would solve all of the problems, it just gets old.   I know before I've changed something I was going to say before posting it.....because I knew you'd say something about how that is a losers mentality blah blah blah.   If we give praise to a coach, player or the program.....we know there will be a comment from you about it.....usually trying to beat that positive comment down in whatever fashion you can.  So if you want to talk about sad, sometime you may need to look in the mirror.  

I'm pretty sure all of us are ok with some constructive criticism of the team from time to time because I don't think hardly any of us feel we are where we want or need to be at, and it has certainly taken a lot longer than most of us would hope.  The next 3-4 weeks will be telling, we will see how it goes.  You said yesterday your comment was low risk high reward, and that is what I said about your comments two weeks ago.  You can say a bunch of stuff like they won't be ready to play.......or that we have mostly D2 players, or we will go 6-5 after the SDSU loss......but if we win...... we don't care and just forget about it.  But if we lose.....you can sit there and say I told you so all week and/or off season.  So congrats, you've really positioned yourself perfectly on that because only 1 team in the FCS ends the year happy. 

Ok end of rant and done with this topic for the rest of the year. 

P.S. Great insight though on your comment that......"can always do better"....that never occurred to any of us before.  

Very well said….he REALLY needs to drink several beers and go shoot a deer.

10 hours ago, UND Football Fan said:

That’s one thing that makes me nervous, we need to limit the negative plays so we can keep their defense off balance. Poor snaps are not only negative plays, but wasted plays.

The switch from Peyton Lolytz to Danny Carroll is a major concern. High snaps aside, him being listed at 6-1 and 285 lbs is generous at best. More like 5’11” - 260 lbs. just not a DI center body type in my opinion, so to compound that with consistently bad snaps is disconcerting. 

Someone with FB XX's and OO's experience tell me if I am seeing this right - UND ran the same play near the goal line 3 times throughout the game:  Schuster rolls to the right and passes (or intends to pass) to Belquist in/near the end zone.  This play was run at 2:28 of 2Q (interception in the end zone), 0:14 of 2Q (TD) (Ryan Kasowski even mentions it in his analysis that's is the same play), and 9:11 of Q3 (TD).  I hope we something else in mind for future similar scenarios, because that's looking a little too predictable.

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

Someone with FB XX's and OO's experience tell me if I am seeing this right - UND ran the same play near the goal line 3 times throughout the game:  Schuster rolls to the right and passes (or intends to pass) to Belquist in/near the end zone.  This play was run at 2:28 of 2Q (interception in the end zone), 0:14 of 2Q (TD) (Ryan Kasowski even mentions it in his analysis that's is the same play), and 9:11 of Q3 (TD).  I hope we something else in mind for future similar scenarios, because that's looking a little too predictable.

Was not the same play all three times. Formationally it looked the same, but on the last TD, Belquist ran a man beater; he went to the corner then came back hard to the pylon on design, where he caught the TD. This is different then the first two where he just ran a “rub” in the flats looking for a clear out. 

Im sure Danny Freund will have some new things up his sleeve for NDSU this weekend. Just hope it’s not too cute, because still need a good dose of Hoosman in the redzone.

Don’t forget Quincy Vaughn too, just not out of punt formation …

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Dustin said:

https://undfootball360.com/three-phase-effort-gives-hawks-a-big-win-over-south-dakota/

"Schuster won’t have the numbers to be all-conference but he is an all-conference type QB."

So what does it take to be all-conference QB?  I can't think of a QB in the MVFC I'd rather have than Schuster.

my guess is Day will be the 1st team QB based on TD

12 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Was our defense just flat-out bad on South Dakota's third TD?  Or did we get tricked in some way? 

TD play.png

The pass was caught at where the end zone ref is standing with the "defender" either staying put or moving the other way.

On 11/13/2022 at 9:01 PM, UND Football Fan said:

According to Indiana State’s head coach they were interested with Tommy. Unless he was just puffing up UND the last few minutes. 

I do agree, the more consistent winning the deeper our recruiting class can be.

I’m sure they were looking at Tommy because they recruit Michigan kids. Prob thought the same thing as the other D1 schools that over looked him.