SiouxSports.com Forum

USD @ UND 11/12/22

Dustin

Just now, Dustin said:

Yes, but the reality is this team has only won 3 games. The defense bent and broke about as much as most people expected. Not great. Not horrible. Move on and Try to get better.

Agree, however I think their record might have been better with Bauman playing all year.  With him in the won their last two games and just beat SIU who went 'toe to toe' with the Bison.  Defense definitely still makes me very nervous and our offense will have to win most games.  But before the game I would have easily taken 19 points if somebody said that is all USD would get.  

Just now, Sioux94 said:

Agree, however I think their record might have been better with Bauman playing all year.  With him in the won their last two games and just beat SIU who went 'toe to toe' with the Bison.  Defense definitely still makes me very nervous and our offense will have to win most games.  But before the game I would have easily taken 19 points if somebody said that is all USD would get.  

I agree. 

The game went as I thought it would, kind of went too conservative the last 9 minutes or so. Overall a solid effort. If there is constructive criticism is that we need to improve on 3rd down and when given the opportunity …. get the sack, we left a few out there. 

Next week, hopefully we are efficient on offense and use a silent count and have solid snaps. My guess we will have to use quick passes and set up the deeper stuff later. If we can control the ball, it will give us a chance to win. Defense bend and not break and hopefully get a turnover or two.

I view next week another playoff game. If we win possible seeding, if a narrow loss we get in. If we get blown out, it may give the selection committee an excuse to leave us out.

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

You know damn well if we would have went 6-5, which is what you predicted after our loss to SDSU, as soon as the horn sounded on that 5th loss.....you would have been right here to tell us all....."I told you so".  :wink:

I was wrong. UND will win 7 or 8 games this season. I’m not mad about that at all so it was a no lose situation for me. But ultimately, it’s not about me or my predictions; the team winning is of far more importance. 

2 minutes ago, UND Football Fan said:

I view next week another playoff game. If we win possible seeding, if a narrow loss we get in. If we get blown out, it may give the selection committee an excuse to leave us out.

I agree. Never should be the expectation to get blown out, even if it’s @ Juice U

in fact, I’d say UND should force Miller to win the game. Against UND’s secondary, he very well may, but the odds are in UND’s favor. If you let NDSU’s run game get going, it will be a long day. 

41 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Great job student section bringing around 50 to the game.  SMH.  Don’t worry, the rest of us got plenty loud.  

I was surprised by the relatively poor attendance today.  Very few Students.. but also a lot of empty seats in my section which is usually quite full.  I thought it would be easily over 10k.. but the announced 9.5k was a very generous estimation of how many people were actually there.  I guess it was more than the Abilene Christian game?  Need to keep winning these games and building the fanbase.

1 minute ago, wheelsup said:

I was surprised by the relatively poor attendance today.  Very few Students.. but also a lot of empty seats in my section which is usually quite full.  I thought it would be easily over 10k.. but the announced 9.5k was a very generous estimation of how many people were actually there.  I guess it was more than the Abilene Christian game?  Need to keep winning these games and building the fanbase.

beat ndac

• Like 2

Just now, wheelsup said:

Wins is a part of the solution, but competing with the Ralph Engelstad Arena head-to-head will never help either. Best case scenario for football attendance is always UND football winning, Alerus Center doing a good job in production (of which work still needs to be done - end zone lounge seating anyone plus catwalk open?), AND the hockey team not playing in town. 

4 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

ONce they became one dimensional and had to pass our pressure was solid.

It is my belief that this is our path to success this year. That puts a lot of pressure on the offense to be “on” and put up points each time they have the ball, though. Stymie our offense, and you probably have no problem getting by our defense. 

7 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

Another nice win.. The fellas did not stub their toe when there were multiple opportunities to do so.  couple of thoughts.

• When we were 3rd down on the 2.. Im really surprised we didnt bring in Quincy.. There is zero chance that Quincy doesnt get a touchdown with two tries from the 2 yard line.  Sometimes Danny gets a little too cute.  The 4th down call was particularly terrible.. if you knew you were going for it on 4th down it makes it even more of a no brainer not to bring in quincy.
  • The Special teams, punt and punt coverage were a huge part of this victory.  That blocked punt was awesome..  Probably the play of the game.  Huge momentum swing into halftime.
  • kickoffs are still questionable.. that out of bounds kickoff with 1:30 to go in the 3rd quarter.. uffdah.  better than a big return I guess.. all of that said.. extra points seem automatic now.  Its been a long time since I havent really paid attention during our extra points.
  • Our offense is legit.. just about no complaints.. We didnt score in the 4th quarter.. but we didnt really try to score either.. we were running clock and using about 25% of the playbook with a 2 score lead. Its a great balance.. QB.. RB.. WR.. OL.. the fellas are rolling.
  • The defense continues to be a challenge.. but I think it looked better again today.  Still some real gaps in pass coverage.. and not great pressure on the QB.  ONce they became one dimensional and had to pass our pressure was solid.

Im looking forward to next weekend.. Im hopeful we made the playoffs with the win today, but I would love to go in with a win against that school down south.

Agree with most all of this; only complaint with the offense is what you actually stated as a complaint: sometimes it gets too cute, especially in the red zone.

UND was fortunate the failed red zone possession didn’t come back to haunt them since they got that blocked punt. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, homer said:

7-3 vs one of the most difficult schedule me in the FCS with coaches who can’t coach and a roster of D2 players.   

Had to chuckle a little, I'm sure all is in good fun, without the W your post may not exist?
We got the W! From a team that really plays us tough here, yet hasn't won in GF for long time.

Now we play an OK team at their home at a chance of our OK team going 8-3, tied for second in MVFC.
The Jacks confiscated 1st.

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Had to chuckle a little, I'm sure all is in good fun, without the W your post may not exist?
We got the W! From a team that really plays us tough here, yet hasn't won in GF for long time.

Now we play an OK team at their home at a chance of our OK team going 8-3, tied for second in MVFC.
The Jacks confiscated 1st.

Without the W there is a few fans chomping to say “I told you so”.  Actually wasn’t in good fun.  It’s factual using their own posts during the season. 

20 minutes ago, homer said:

Without the W there is a few fans chomping to say “I told you so”.  Actually wasn’t in good fun.  It’s factual using their own posts during the season. 

That chomping may come anyway, we will not be favorites - it will be a challenge.
But, there is a chance and hoping for the W. 
Was still worth the chuckle, thx.