SiouxSports.com Forum

ACU @ UND 10/29/22

Dustin

Defensive

Positives we forced turnovers and we scored with the short field. 

Except for 2-3 big runs we shut down the run.

negative is …. to obvious to say

Special Teams

2-3 FG made not going to complain 

We had 2 punts inside 10 so that was good

KO- thanks to the 2 penalties only 1 of 3 big returns counted (glaring issue today)

offense

started flat, and picked up well. Great to see the Hogs get great push. Also that late 2nd quarter field goal set up by Tommy’s throw was huge.

It was great to see the offense step up when other parts of our game was slacking. The last drive is what winning teams can do to ice the victory. 

Next week ISU Blue will be a battle, they were embarrassed and will be a different beast at their place. I’ll expect a 4 quarter game. Which we should win.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, UND Football Fan said:

Defensive

Positives we forced turnovers and we scored with the short field. 

Except for 2-3 big runs we shut down the run.

negative is …. to obvious to say

Special Teams

2-3 FG made not going to complain 

We had 2 punts inside 10 so that was good

KO- thanks to the 2 penalties only 1 of 3 big returns counted (glaring issue today)

offense

started flat, and picked up well. Great to see the Hogs get great push. Also that late 2nd quarter field goal set up by Tommy’s throw was huge.

It was great to see the offense step up when other parts of our game was slacking. The last drive is what winning teams can do to ice the victory. 

Next week ISU Blue will be a battle, they were embarrassed and will be a different beast at their place. I’ll expect a 4 quarter game. Which we should win.

Got tickets to this game. It'll be my first time watching any UND team play in person in 9 years. 

• Upvote 3

Big win. The good news is there is no nuance when it comes to FCS rankings, just wins & losses. What I mean is it doesn’t matter if they beat ACU by 3 or 17, it’s all the same. 

Bubba called the win @ Youngstown complementary football, which technically it was. My biggest complaint this year is they seemingly play completely uncomplementary football. Today, the KO unit was as bad as I’ve ever seen. That hasn’t been the case all year. Defense steps up at times, then the offense stalls. Offense scores, defense gives up points. If they ever put it together this team could be really good.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Defense is awful, special teams are awful. Coaches a major factor to blame for kickoff woes today. 

Offense under Freund is only capable unit. It’s why UND got crushed by SDSU when UND offense turned it over a bunch.

As for this game (ACU 10/29/22), UND offense won it. Defense and special teams did all they could to lose it for them. 

As I said, under Bubba, I expected a toe to toe game. One error away from losing at all times.

Frustrating. But reality of UND football under Bubba. 

Fun to see Hoosman grind out a victory at the end, though. Freund will some good calls. Tommy Schuster is a warrior; makes his overall pedestrian receivers look better than they are by buying time. Belquist is good, though, as per usual. I give Freund credit for sticking with Schuster, and I eat crow. 

On to the next big game; next week at Indiana State. Goes without saying, UND must win. 

On 10/28/2022 at 10:32 AM, UND-FB-FAN said:

Not sure I sense that. Most are familiar with how UND under Bubba inflates opponents to make them look better than they are … I’m sure Saturday’s game will be a nail-bitter, just like how Bubba likes it … 

For the record; today went as predicted. Not good enough if we/UND want the football program to be a championship contender.

I’m genuinely curious about this, so please if anyone has input. I’ve also felt this way this year, it’s that UND has a good offense and a bad defense. @UND-FB-FAN calling you out, because of your most recent post. The final score is 34-31. The defense put the offense in scoring position. ST’s put the defense in awful position all day. Was the defense today really that bad? Offense really that good? 

6 minutes ago, AJS said:

I’m genuinely curious about this, so please if anyone has input. I’ve also felt this way this year, it’s that UND has a good offense and a bad defense. @UND-FB-FAN calling you out, because of your most recent post. The final score is 34-31. The defense put the offense in scoring position. ST’s put the defense in awful position all day. Was the defense today really that bad? Offense really that good? 

I thought the D stunk most of the day.

O gets a TD, D gives up a TD in drives that took less than 4 minutes.

ST downs the ball on the 1. D gives up a TD that took less than 4 minutes.

Most of the game, their QB was really comfortable. NO pass rush for most of the day.

17 minutes ago, shep said:

I thought the D stunk most of the day.

O gets a TD, D gives up a TD in drives that took less than 4 minutes.

ST downs the ball on the 1. D gives up a TD that took less than 4 minutes.

Most of the game, their QB was really comfortable. NO pass rush for most of the day.

D did not give up a TD on the downed punt. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

… want the football program to be a championship contender.

I saw a team that took the ball with about 8 left and a 3 point lead, knowing their defense was struggling, and proceed to ram the ball down the field and thus kill the clock to win. 

What do you call that? 

About this game:

Was I happy? No. I’m emotionally spent and feel like I played the game. But I knew this one would be harder than any of us wanted. Like I said, survived a trap game. 

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, AJS said:

Defense was unable to get off blocks or consistently pressure today. They’ve been the weak spot all season.  They have allowed long TD drives and failed to consistently produce takeaways. They have allowed nearly 30 points - sometimes more - in basically every game. That puts a lot of pressure on the offense, especially when the offense turns it over a couple times. I’m sorry, but the defense this year has been awful.

New players, new coaches, new schemes - probably all of the above - is needed. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

In Vegas. Watched first half poolside on laptop but had to go back to room in 2nd half so could hear it.  Wild game.  Sack City will be back on 11/12 

My son was wondering where the sack city sign was.. it doesnt get a lot of use this year but its always nice to see.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I saw a team that took the ball with about 8 left and a 3 point lead, knowing their defense was struggling, and proceed to ram the ball down the field and thus kill the clock to win. 

What do you call that? 

A good offense that knew they needed to keep their !@#!$ defense off the field.

Cudos to Freund, Schuster, Hoosman, and the offensive line for finishing out the game. Like I said in my previous post, was fun to see UND grind out 7+ minutes of clock to earn the win.

Now, you can call it a trap game to justify the close nail-bitting nature of it, but I’ll just say that UND did what I thought they would and could do: keep it close and see how it goes. Glad UND won, but there were opportunities throughout the game to put it away but they kept ACU in it throughout. Philosophy, style, and demeanor of Bubba’s teams in the past and present predicted that one. 

Ultimately. glad UND won. On to Indiana State. Fight to go 8-3 via a win @ NDSU. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

My goal is for UND to keep getting better and win championships. You can shove it where the sun don’t shine, @shep.

Go Hawks!  

I fervently will defend your right to free speech, and trust you'll do the same when I tell you to do what you just told me to do.