SiouxSports.com Forum

Close it out! Saturday Night VS QU

FightingSU

1 minute ago, George M. Bluth said:

I know there was an ENG and #5 was a nice tip, but wow, save percentage needs to improve drastically if they want to beat anyone good. 

It’s more dzone coverage than goalie…but not overly impressed with goalies either. Long season.

• Upvote 1

That game was hot trash. Didn't realize the NCHC app was trying to do us a favor by not showing the game earlier. 

Better show up next weekend. Bipolar team from last night (I get it was a tie, but we passed the sniff test last night). It appears goaltending is going to cost us this year, even if the D is not what it has been. Missed the first period last night so I didn't realize DeRidder started, but Hellsten didn't look good last night .... OR tonight. Yikes, not sure what to think.

We didn't have much puck luck tonight, and after watching the replay again we may have gotten screwed on the offsides call last night, but regardless .... HAVE TO PLAY BETTER AT HOME!

Just not much good to take from tonight. Not many individuals or aspects of the game that went well.

Gonna need to clean up a ton and be much sharper before Friday night or it will be a long 120 minutes in Minneapolis because that team is much more skilled than Quinnipiac. 

Between this game and the ugly Gopher football performance it has been a pretty disappointing Saturday for me.

Gotta take what we can learn from this weekend, study and improve for what’s next. It is still October. Plenty of season left. But we also need to get more consistent with goalie performance. I think Hellsten is going to be the guy. Also just think it looks like Q is a dang good team, even their coach looks like a total prick. 

Just got back and find myself in need of strong drink.  We got it handed to us tonight.  Defense is as soft as I have ever seen.  How many quality shots did they get either posting up or crashing the net?  And we are going nowhere with a .750 save percentage.  Why can't we get in a good young goalie and develop him.  This idea of getting whatever 5th year transfer we can find isn't a way to build anything.  We need to up the recruiting across the board.  There is no reason we can't pull in a top goalie prospect - with Karl working with him it should be easier to sell.  And the undisciplined play and penalties.  It is very early but we need to get it together now.  I'm hopeful but Bubbs and Co. haven't been able to solve the stupid penalty problem for how long?  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

My take is that, after a supposed "wake up call" last night, the team took a nap tonight.  Boring, sloppy hockey by UND.  If they can't play any more determined than this, it is going to be an UGLY season.

That’s what it seemed like to me.  It looked like after they took the lead, they looked disinterested, although the Q had something to do with it.  The concerning part is that it was the veterans that played poorly in the defensive zone. The guy people say should be at the pro level, Kleven, hardly looked the part in the series.  Gaber continues to get his shot blocked when he has a wide open teammate.  Since we all have seen these guys play the right way, we should be fine, but you don’t get these non conference games back, and I don’t think the NCHC will be as dominating as years past against other leagues.  One other thing, bring back Hain, Jamernik, and Senden.  

18 minutes ago, Irish said:

Just got back and find myself in need of strong drink.  We got it handed to us tonight.  Defense is as soft as I have ever seen.  How many quality shots did they get either posting up or crashing the net?  And we are going nowhere with a .750 save percentage.  Why can't we get in a good young goalie and develop him.  This idea of getting whatever 5th year transfer we can find isn't a way to build anything.  We need to up the recruiting across the board.  There is no reason we can't pull in a top goalie prospect - with Karl working with him it should be easier to sell.  And the undisciplined play and penalties.  It is very early but we need to get it together now.  I'm hopeful but Bubbs and Co. haven't been able to solve the stupid penalty problem for how long?  

Isn’t the young goalie that played tonight one we are trying to develop?

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, tnt said:

Isn’t the young goalie that played tonight one we are trying to develop?

The operative word is "trying" - and still a work in progress - I meant a young stud.  I'm just disappointed in our goalie situation so far.  

6 minutes ago, Irish said:

The operative word is "trying" - and still a work in progress - I meant a young stud.  I'm just disappointed in our goalie situation so far.  

You mean like Tomek?  Plenty of times the stud goalies don’t work out.  Plenty of goalies are late bloomers.  Would rather recruit guys who have success at the junior level and come here at 19 or 20 year olds.