SiouxSports.com Forum

Holy Cross @ UND - Friday SEASON OPENING Gameday!

stoneySIOUX

1 hour ago, bcblues said:

They have to get the blonde chicks in a quieter location.

There is no "quiet" location inside the Ralph and pretty sure Monique would punch you in the mouth if you called her a "blonde chick" to her face...I be laughing my ass off when yours hit the floor.  NEXT!

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, brianvf said:

Our "shutdown" Hain line is dominating.  Great to see and hopefully that continues.

They tinkered with that line a bit throughout the game but that's still the line that rolls with the top lines in the NCHC, and for next week's big test against the Q.

It's almost like Berry knows what he's got with that line, so he tries to spread the grit elsewhere at times.

Just got home....

DaRiddler was terrific in net.

Blake is going to be crazy good.

Kleven is just a man among boys.

Fun game to watch. HC got boat raced early then found some traction. Tomorrow night will be a lot closer.

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Just got home....

DaRiddler was terrific in net.

Blake is going to be crazy good.

Kleven is just a man among boys.

Fun game to watch. HC got boat raced early then found some traction. Tomorrow night will be a lot closer.

McGlaughlin is going to be crazy good too.  The way he can gain the line on the power play with speed and stick work is impressive.  The great thing is that Dylan James will want to move up in the lineup and power play and get his share of attention as well.  If we can keep that trio for 2 or 3 years, they could be dominant.

• Upvote 2

Well, we didn't play the entire 60 the way we hoped, but at the end of the day, that game was exciting. 6-0 against any team in a home opener is no joke.

My takes:

- Remember our 15-16 big question mark? Cam Johnson was pretty good that year, eh? I feel like DeRidder may be CJ 2.0. Keep that kid with limited chances like tonight, he'll make the big time saves and we'll win a lot of games in front of him

- Oofa, that top PP has A LOT of skill and dare I say, some chemistry?? After one game?? That could be fun.

- The Hain Sendo Jammer line must stay. They have legit chemistry and made some nasty plays tonight and set the standard for pace and edge. Defensively, that is a trio that can slow down ANY line in the country.

- Jackson Blake ... Gonna be star. 

- Noticable jumps in skill/progression ... Jandric, Costantini, Schmaltz (he's nearly a true No. 1 center as a Soph), Johnson

- Dumb penalties. Would some of those be called in January? No excuses, tho. That's gotta stop

Very excited about tonight. I see no visible holes in this team.

16 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Woooo! So pumped for this. Very interested to see the line combos and who gels quickly.

I was very excited by what I saw last week against Manitoba and I'm hoping for a similar result.

UND wins 6-2

James, Hain, Moore, Gaber, Jammer, Sendo

This was pretty close! Called the goal total, nailed the D-man goal, and 4 of the 6 scorers.

Stonestramous strikes again.

I thought that was about a B+ performance.  The newcomers were pretty good, and I'm thrilled with our new guy in the net.  A bit too loose in our own end at times and it seemed like Holy Cross won the 2nd period without any pushback from our guys.  

Was a bit surreal watching Blake score his first college goal when I believe I saw his dad score his first goal at UND back in 1996 after the transfer year.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

After UND dominating SOG early, DeRidder and the boys kept HC out of net.

Total game SOG 30-27 UND 

To be really fair…they were throwing everything they could at the net. Basically Everytime they crossed the blue they let it go. We we’re holding onto pucks and playing a possession game. Waiting for the right opportunities. I actually loved it.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Brent Johnson looked like a completely different player.  Now I understand how he got drafted in the third round.  He and Blake are more skilled than anyone in the lineup down the stretch last year.  (Johnson last year was in the lineup but was not this player.)

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Well, we didn't play the entire 60 the way we hoped, but at the end of the day, that game was exciting. 6-0 against any team in a home opener is no joke.

My takes:

- Remember our 15-16 big question mark? Cam Johnson was pretty good that year, eh? I feel like DeRidder may be CJ 2.0. Keep that kid with limited chances like tonight, he'll make the big time saves and we'll win a lot of games in front of him

- Oofa, that top PP has A LOT of skill and dare I say, some chemistry?? After one game?? That could be fun.

- The Hain Sendo Jammer line must stay. They have legit chemistry and made some nasty plays tonight and set the standard for pace and edge. Defensively, that is a trio that can slow down ANY line in the country.

- Noticable jumps in skill/progression ... Jandric, Costantini, Schmaltz (he's nearly a true No. 1 center as a Soph), Johnson

- Dumb penalties. Would some of those be called in January? No excuses, tho. That's gotta stop

Bull Schmidt was back to his usual I’m reffing the scoreboard on some of that last night. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

My takes:

Agreed on the Hain line (sendon specifically) they were really good/noticeable. Super old, that will help us this year. Top line was noticeable too but gaber is still trying to do a bit too much. Hopefully the coaches are preaching a simple game mentality with him. I’d definitely get Kunz in over ness tonight as that line didn’t do anything. I didn’t notice James at all. I do think they had one flurry in the first. Overall, I came away impressed.

Probably Kunz and Portz in for Strinden and Ness.  Albrecht was so good late last year and there's no room currently. Injuries will happen again, but this year it appears the team will not be running out of good players unless it gets really bad.

1 minute ago, jk said:

Probably Kunz and Portz in for Strinden and Ness.  Albrecht was so good late last year and there's no room currently. Injuries will happen again, but this year it appears the team will not be running out of good players unless it gets really bad.

It will be interesting to see if there are any changes tonight. I would suspect if so it is because they were basically pre-planned before the weekend to mix in some guys as Berry has a history of if winning the lineup remains the same unless injuries. 

11 minutes ago, jk said:

I’d keep strinden in…I thought he may be a casualty but I’ve been fairly impressed. He goes hard. 

The current first line doesn’t impress me right now. We out skilled HC however i didn’t really notice that 1st at even strength. Gaber holding onto pucks a bit long takes away from schmaltz/constantini who like to dish and move it around. Put Blake with those two and gaber with OM.

6 hours ago, brianvf said:

How great is it to see a Blake scoring goals for UND again???  Love it.

I can't believe how fast he is. Frankly, this team is really fast. The Freshman have some serious talent. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

View from the lower bowl (2):

Blake is the real deal and soooooo much fun to watch already.

James did not get the same amount of chance as the other freshies tonight, I want to see him more on Saturday!

Honestly, I did not see any defensive lapses at all tonight.  If defense wins championships, then we are in an amazing spot early in the year!

DeRidder looks good in the black pads!  Man, he looks comfortable and loose on the ice.  Love it.

Matteo will net one soon.  He look like a different player from last year, and I really like what he brings.

Gonna be a closer game tonight, but a sweep is definitely in the cards!

9 minutes ago, Goon said:

Cooper Moore's play impressed me last night. 

Cooper Moore Goal .jpg

Kid is just a bull on the blue line.  His skating is light years ahead of where it was when he arrived.  The major penalty that HC took may have been worse if it was someone besides him that took the hit. 

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

I’d keep strinden in…I thought he may be a casualty but I’ve been fairly impressed. He goes hard. 

The current first line doesn’t impress me right now. We out skilled HC however i didn’t really notice that 1st at even strength. Gaber holding onto pucks a bit long takes away from schmaltz/constantini who like to dish and move it around. Put Blake with those two and gaber with OM.

There’s no one to play center if you take both Strinden and Ness out. So I don’t think Strinden is coming out. They’d have to move either Senden or Costantini to 4th line center and that’s definitely not going to happen. 

I agree with you on the top line. I’m not a fan of it right now. I think they want to keep Gaber and Schmaltz together because they played all last year together, but I’d rather we try something different.