SiouxSports.com Forum

Broadcasting rights

gfhockey

I'm sitting here listening to a TalkStreamLive channel and suddenly I hear ... Paul Ralston? Yup, talking about 'single game tickets now on sale'. I didn't realize they were using channels like TalkStreamLive (and assumedly TuneIn) for advertising. 

11 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm sitting here listening to a TalkStreamLive channel and suddenly I hear ... Paul Ralston? Yup, talking about 'single game tickets now on sale'. I didn't realize they were using channels like TalkStreamLive (and assumedly TuneIn) for advertising. 

Is it me or does ralston always sounds nervous in live radio 

good guy decent golfer but wish he could calm his nerves

2 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Is it me or does ralston always sounds nervous in live radio 

He's no bass, or even baritone, voice. Higher pitch voices tend to sound less stable in radio. "Jack Michaels" could be crapping his pants and his deeper voice would never waiver. Same goes for Tim Hennessy. 

(And what I'm hearing is "canned". The ad has run twice more since. I wish they'd cut more ads using Hennessy.) 

On 8/25/2022 at 1:37 PM, The Sicatoka said:

He's no bass, or even baritone, voice. Higher pitch voices tend to sound less stable in radio. "Jack Michaels" could be crapping his pants and his deeper voice would never waiver. Same goes for Tim Hennessy. 

(And what I'm hearing is "canned". The ad has run twice more since. I wish they'd cut more ads using Hennessy.) 

WOW! you are an EXPERT of all things!   AMAZING!  What a gift for this website someone SO wise in ALL aspects of the broadcast world! 

I have some too.  Paul is a good guy - true to UND through and through.  Not a perfect "broadcast voice"  He worked his way up to his position and does just fine.   BTW - a bass is a fish - not a voice.

Magical "Jack Michaels" has to have an embarrassing stack of candy and snacks in front of him to get through a broadcast (no kidding - it's weird - I've seen it in person in the Al Pressbox) plus let's face facts.  He's a Fargo guy who only does UND sports because he gets paid to do it.   Great voice but he'd abandon UND in a heartbeat and never look back.   Also a nice guy but...I'm going to use a bad word here - a HO!  Happy to just get paid!

Finally - hate to say it but Hennessy is still solid but getting a little scratchy and dull...time to think of an heir-apparent?  Would be great if he could help find someone to hand the torch too.   Sid H. hung around WWAYYY too long in MN - let's not do that please.

• Downvote 2

I wasn’t disparaging Paul at all. He has a different sound and that’s fine. Michaels and Hennessy are deeper and have a different sound is all. And I’ve been here asking for someone other than Michaels because he doesn’t draw the game picture I’m looking for. Like it or not, the hockey job is Hennessy’s until he walks away (and as you I hope he does before he becomes Sid 2.0). 

PS - How long did you work for Ingstad Broadcasting? 
PPS - Bass (pronounced: base) is a male voice. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I wasn’t disparaging Paul at all. He has a different sound and that’s fine. Michaels and Hennessy are deeper and have a different sound is all. And I’ve been here asking for someone other than Michaels because he doesn’t draw the game picture I’m looking for. Like it or not, the hockey job is Hennessy’s until he walks away (and as you I hope he does before he becomes Sid 2.0). 

PS - How long did you work for Ingstad Broadcasting? 
PPS - Bass (pronounced: base) is a male voice. 

Never worked for Ingstad but 20+ years in local GF media - also last 10 VERY CLOSE with UND productions.  What are your local media credentials and expertise beyond pretending to be an internet board "expert" about everything??

QUOTING:  PPS - Bass (pronounced: base) is  a male voice.

Yeah HELLO!  That's an industry joke that further tells me you don't know anything about how all this works.   Thanks for explaining how a BASS (PRONOUCED BASE-lol) is a male voice - pretty FISHY!:-) 

Stick to your lane and your day job.

• Downvote 3

Just now, gfNDfan said:

Never worked for Ingstad but 20+ years in local GF media - also last 10 VERY CLOSE with UND productions.  What are your local media credentials and expertise beyond pretending to be an internet board "expert" about everything??

QUOTING:  PPS - Bass (pronounced: base) is  a male voice.

Yeah HELLO!  That's an industry joke that further tells me you don't know anything about how all this works.   Thanks for explaining how a BASS (PRONOUCED BASE-lol) is a male voice - pretty FISHY!:-) 

Stick to your lane and your day job.

whatever that is....

7 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

The BOWTIE kills it for me - like Tucker Carlson had to have  a night job to make it in local radio.  SAD

It’s his brand

kind of like the dude in gf who always wears those awful white glasses

atleast with the bootie we won’t see it if he’s in the radio lok

22 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

“Stay in your lane.” — I’ll let the multimillionaire who didn’t explain why you’re wrong. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64X9f73JYgk

Apparently I got out of radio before you got in, but I stay in touch with various local media owners to this day. I’ve been asked on Fargo shows to represent groups and industries I’ve worked in. 

I’m still not sure how pointing out the obvious to anyone with ears (Ralston has higher pitch than Hennessy or Michaels) is worth such ire. 

That's his thing!

I know its sacrilege to criticize Hennessey, but he is getting hard to listen to in my opinion to just a casual fan.  He's just difficult to hear at times I feel.  I would love it if Ryan Cunningham got an opportunity to call a UND hockey game.  He's a solid PxP guy..........

15 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

to get Midco here on xfinity.

This doesn't matter to me as a viewer because I am a Midco cable subscriber and get both of their channel, but my curiosity wonders does the Twin Cities market get both MidcoSN 1 AND 2?

17 minutes ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

Looks like it’s just MidcoSN 1 and yeah you have to have the sports package to get it. 

I had the xfinity sports package when I lived in Colorado. I would add it in the fall and drop it in the spring. It was worth it if you are a sports fan.

Concerning the midco sports app

my understanding is you can get the app for six bucks a month without having midco cable

but - it doesn’t necessarily match up with the live tv programming. The streaming may or may not be live

does this make sense and what is your understanding 

thanks