SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Mens Ice Hockey Tourney: Reformat

The Sicatoka

32 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

My favorite part of that call was Scott Hennen announcing Michael Parks' goal over the PA when Nellie tied it.... "Scoring for North Dakota (not exact, but close) .... Mich... aelll.... Pa....." LaPanta: "SCORRRREEEEESSSSS! BROCK NELSON TIES IT!" .... Then the X absolutely explodes. I am hearing it in my head and I'm legit getting chills. 

Knowing he's the Wild play by play makes it better

20 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Schlossman doesn't think my idea will solve attendance issues.

That's dumb because I can guarantee you that super regionals would have more attendance in those 12 games played at NHL arenas than the current model of playing at USHL arenas across the country.

5 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Regional hosts for the past 9 NCAA Championships if #1 seeds  would have hosted

So by my count, in the last 9 years you would have 24 "West" teams hosting and 12 "East" teams hosting.  Probably consistent if you go back any further.  When the majority of college hockey teams are out east, it would be no surprise they would be against the #1 seeds hosting.

Based on the @Siouxperfan7simple analysis, nothing's gonna change. East teams aren't going to vote for it.

And they'll keep voting for regional locations like this year: Albany NY, Worchester MA, Allentown PA. They'll say "that's three states!" 

Compare Albany/Allentown/Worchester to Grand Forks/Fargo/Minot. 

aaw.jpgFGFM.jpg

You see it.
Those three regional site would all fit within North Dakota.
Straight line trip between either three is nearly identical. 

Maps, mileage courtesy Google Maps. 

12 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

That's dumb because I can guarantee you that super regionals would have more attendance in those 12 games played at NHL arenas than the current model of playing at USHL arenas across the country.

Totally agree.  He gave an example of Qpac playing SCSU in the Eastern.  I told him that that's only 2 teams fan bases - there's still 6 more teams.  Plus better venues in better cities.  And twice as much hockey.

16 hours ago, Dustin said:

Thinking about my idea some more, to help even more with attendance, you could still have a school host a regional, and if that school's team makes the tourney it would assure their placement in that regional.  This would be helpful to make sure Denver plays in Denver, Michigan plays in Detroit, Minnesota plays in St. Paul, or BU/BC plays in Boston.  Obviously other schools would be interested in hosting as well.  I could see UND wanting to host in both St. Paul and Denver.  Having host schools may result is seeds being switched (much like seeds are switched to avoid inter-conference match-ups) if the two host schools would otherwise be on the same side of the bracket (and thus the same regional).

I think you just need to do it like basketball.  Come up with the bracket first and then place them in the two regionals, doing best to minimize total travel.  Don't need to have the whole side of a bracket in one side, just any two quadrants. So the Overall 1 and 2 seeds and their quarters of the bracket could be at the same regional site if that makes sense for travel and attendance.

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

no matter what happens something needs to change asap

If campus sites can't bid, super regionals are the only way to make sites like Allentown and Manchester work. One east coast, one mid to major metro out west.

Detroit

Chicago/Milwaukee/Madison

MSP

Omaha

Denver/Springs

St. Louis can potentially attend itself into consideration in a few years when they host.

4 hours ago, Goon said:

I agree with Schloss. The super regional isn’t a good idea. It would reward Minnesota unfairly every year. 

Teams can't even fill their own arenas for regular season games. Conference tournaments can't fill the arenas they are at, so CCHA and B1G went to home sites. Mariucci looked full because it was Minnesota vs Michigan. Can't fill AHL and ECHL arenas when they are regionals, but a Super Regional at a NHL building is going to be full? 

• Upvote 2

Hockey / baseball are different than basketball. I know some basketball coaches that would rather the one player score a ton and try to outscore the other team on own. One person can truly steal a hockey / baseball game (goalie / pitcher) or as someone said a bad bounce in hockey can be all the difference. So I do like idea of rewarding the higher seeds with getting to host a 3 game series. Or double elimination, though I don't see this working due to amount of games / rest. More fans would go knowing they got to watch team more than once. 

I'm not opposed to to the single elimination with all the parity as it is intense and fun. However, higher seeds should still be rewarded. Facts are some of these lower seeded small schools are used to playing in front of empty seats. Why should they get the advantage? Let top 1-4 overall each host a regional. Maybe you need a lower limit for rink size, but allow that team option of hosting at a close rink that may not be theirs (if arrangements can be made). If not move to #2 seed. Or just let the small school host as they earned that right.

I think the super regional could become a fun great tradition, but I bet the NCAA would screw it up and have all west in west ensuring east always gets half of the frozen four even though history has shown they are more likely to only get one.

• Upvote 3