SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Mens Ice Hockey Tourney: Reformat

The Sicatoka

The empty regionals barns will be a topic in the coaches meetings:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/commentary-its-time-to-revisit-the-idea-of-home-regionals-at-the-ncaa-mens-hockey-tournament 

How would you reformat the tourney to make for better environments? 

I

11 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The empty regionals barns will be a topic in the coaches meetings:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/commentary-its-time-to-revisit-the-idea-of-home-regionals-at-the-ncaa-mens-hockey-tournament 

How would you reformat the tourney to make for better environments? 

I'm open to almost anything.....unless it involves playing regional games on Olympic size ice sheets.

Heck of Twitter chat (battle?) going between Schloss, Milewski, and Woden. 

Woden's saying "hate to break it to you again - but there's zero impetus to make any change like this" <-- basically the small schools don't want to have to play in big, full rinks in front of ...  < gasp > ... people! 

https://twitter.com/SchlossmanGF

Go to an unregionalized 16 team field based on current process of team selection and seeded by final regular season PWR. 

Round of 16: The 8 higher seeds host best of 3 series at home sites. 

Round of 8: After reseeding the winners (again using final regular season PWR, not updated after Round of 16), best of 3 at higher seed sites. 

Round of 4: Frozen Four at predetermined site. 

• Upvote 2

This year in my plan would've been:

AIC @ Michigan
Harv @ MSU-M
NE'n @ WMU
Lowell @ DU
MTU @ UMD
UMass @ UMn
SCSU @ UND <-- you might convince me to not allow intraconference first round games
Notre Dame @ Q'piac
-------
I'll assume 2022 winners won (with exception of the two games that didn't happen) 

Notre Dame @ Mich
Q'piac @ MSU-M
UMn @ WMU
UMD @ DU
-------------

Frozen Four 

10 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Go to an unregionalized 16 team field based on current process of team selection. 

Round of 16: The 8 higher seeds host best of 3 series at home sites. 

Round of 8: After reseeding the winners (again using final regular season PWR, not updated after Round of 16), best of 3 at higher seed sites. 

Round of 4: Frozen Four at predetermined site. 

This ^^^

College baseball gets fabulous crowds for their super regionals.  

And if I'm a fan of college hockey growth I can't be pissy about my team playing in a crazy environment at Yost, if Michigan has earned the right to play there.  The way it is next season, UND could have a sub par season, barely get in as a #4, and host the #1 seed in front of a crazy Scheels arena.  

I can't imagine the atmosphere at Mariucci/the Ralph if you had a UND-Goldy best of three super regional to go to the frozen four.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

And if I'm a fan of college hockey growth I can't be pissy about my team playing in a crazy environment ...

But if you're a college hockey coach worried about keeping your position, apparently you can be. ;) 

2006 was the first year a 4 seed beat a 1 seed.  Since that year (past 16 NCAA tournaments) the 4 seeds are 24-40 against the 1 seeds.  A 4 had beaten a 1 in 15 consecutive seasons until this past year.  That is a 37.5% winning percentage.  The fact is these lower seeds have a much higher chance of winning in a stale atmosphere, neutral site game over a 1 seed than if they had to play the 4 seed at their home rink. In that same time span, 10 #4 seeds have made it to the Frozen 4.  2 have won the Championship.

Now the big question is, should it be that way?  Should the 4 seed be given a bigger advantage than they would normally get?  Should the 1 seeds be rewarded for their season long accomplishments?  I think most would agree that the 1 seeds need to be rewarded.  

If a regional can’t get at least 5k per game or a total for 10k for the two games then they should permanently be off the list to ever host a regional again. The St. Louis regional won’t hit that since the arena seats less then 5k, but if it’s full all three games then they should host. 

Let the “crown jewel” arenas of the college hockey host regionals. Good way to get players interested in play D1 when they see actual college arenas host a regional. 

I see no reason to not add a week between when the conference tournaments end and the NCAA regionals begin. Gives more time to get fans to the games. 

After watching this years tournament, and really the last few, they need to stop with the “refs have to be from a different conference then the teams playing.” One penalties barely get called in the tournament. Second I’d rather have the best refs in the NCAA calling games, if the refs happen to be from the same conference then so be it. It’s not a problem during the season playing out of conference games, but tournament time it is. 

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

2006 was the first year a 4 seed beat a 1 seed.  Since that year (past 16 NCAA tournaments) the 4 seeds are 24-40 against the 1 seeds.  A 4 had beaten a 1 in 15 consecutive seasons until this past year.  That is a 37.5% winning percentage.  The fact is these lower seeds have a much higher chance of winning in a stale atmosphere, neutral site game over a 1 seed than if they had to play the 4 seed at their home rink. In that same time span, 10 #4 seeds have made it to the Frozen 4.  2 have won the Championship.

Now the big question is, should it be that way?  Should the 4 seed be given a bigger advantage than they would normally get?  Should the 1 seeds be rewarded for their season long accomplishments?  I think most would agree that the 1 seeds need to be rewarded.  

"1 vs 4 seed" is also a #4 team vs the #13 best team in the country. 

So I'm not really surprised it's a 37% win percent.

Given there is four different chances for an upset every year it's likely to happen once a year thereabouts.

6 minutes ago, Cratter said:

"1 vs 4 seed" is also a #4 team vs the #13 best team in the country. 

So I'm not really surprised it's a 37% win percent 

Let's use this years KRACH and the 3 v 14 (a regional 1 v 4) game that did happen: WMU and NE'n 

NE'n: 198.8
WMU: 470.6

WMU should win 70.3% of the time, NE'n 29.7%. 

That was a 3v14. The 1v16 and 2v15 should have stronger favorite win percentages. The 4v13 a little less. Call it "expect 30%" based on WMU/NE'n. 

Overall the actual 37% is stronger than the about 30% KRACH (WMU/NE'n) would have me expect. 

I'd say the regional 4s are getting a touch of help (37 > 30) in empty rinks. 

I don't know if this is the case, but I would guess the players would rather play in a full rink, even if it is hostile. What could be better than shutting up 6,000 partisans? Think Jon Casey stopping the RPI powerhouse that would go on to claim the title the following year.  

7 minutes ago, jk said:

I don't know if this is the case, but I would guess the players would rather play in a full rink, even if it is hostile. What could be better than shutting up 6,000 partisans? Think Jon Casey stopping the RPI powerhouse that would go on to claim the title the following year.  

I know a guy who was at that game.
He believes that experience, that humbling hard pounding by UND as he called it, toughened up RPI for their 1985 run. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Overall the actual 37% is stronger than the about 30% KRACH (WMU/NE'n) would have me expect. 

I'd say the regional 4s are getting a touch of help (37 > 30) in empty rinks. 

30% for one game but the odds keep increasing as the other three games are played that one would eventually win.

You only have a 50% chance of getting a tail on a coin flip. But you flip it four times you have a 94% chance of getting a at least one tail.

• Upvote 1

I don't follow college baseball - How does a super regional work?  For hockey, would 8 teams play at one regional, and 8 teams at another?  I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't mind the single game format, I think it creates extra excitement, urgency, and ultimately heartbreak.  Those are the reasons we follow sports, right?  Could the super regionals be done at NHL arenas in hockey hotbeds?  Say, a West Regional (not to be solely western geographical teams) in St. Paul or Denver and an East Regional in Boston or Detroit.  Then the Frozen Four in a warm weather NHL arena like Tampa, Las Vegas, etc.?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I don't follow college baseball - How does a super regional work?  For hockey, would 8 teams play at one regional, and 8 teams at another?  I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't mind the single game format, I think it creates extra excitement, urgency, and ultimately heartbreak.  Those are the reasons we follow sports, right?  Could the super regionals be done at NHL arenas in hockey hotbeds?  Say, a West Regional (not to be solely western geographical teams) in St. Paul or Denver and an East Regional in Boston or Detroit.  Then the Frozen Four in a warm weather NHL arena like Tampa, Las Vegas, etc.?

But so would a decisive Game 3. Think of the first round of the NCHC when we have one on Sunday night at the Ralph. The crowd is always killer. Add the national tourney to that dynamic .... big time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cratter said:

30% for one game but the odds keep increasing as the other three games are played that one would eventually win

Past outcomes don't impact future results. If you should win 30% on average you'll win 30%.

Four seeds are winning 37%. There's an outside factor in play raising the expected 30%. What is it?

A reasonable idea beyond 'empty rink' is clear: Look past. UMn had a case of it vs Holy Cross (knowing UND and UMi were in the building). 

4 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I drew up my idea in bracket form.

College Hockey playoff.pdf 179.72 kB · 0 downloads

The East and West could take turns who gets the 1-16 / 8-9 / 4-13 / 5-12 and 2-15 / 7-10 / 3-14 / 6-11 sides of the bracket.  I think the super regionals could alternate between those four cities (St. Paul, Denver, Detroit, Boston) since they probably are the most traditional hockey cities in the United States.  Then, as a reward for making the Frozen Four, that could be in a warm weather NHL city.  I think I've got it all figured out. :)