SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

29 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Your the one with all the inside info why do the decommit?

I mean, we've gone around ad nauseum about why Spicer decommitted. Could he turn out to bite us in the butt and be an All-American? Sure. This year, I highly doubt it. Quote me and write it down and I'll eat every bit of crow around if it happens.

Rizzo feels like a miss by the team. I'm sure Bubs would agree. I'll gladly die on the hill of thinking not having Scott Morrow on our team is a good thing. Many others would disagree. 

Other than those two... who else are we really missing? Miller did what he did and that's a wholly unique situation. I don't think he'll ever play college hockey again.

We can go down the list of decommits and figure out if this is such a massive problem, if you'd like. 

12 minutes ago, N of GF said:

Like every other person here, I have no knowledge about how this went down. If someone told me that the "true inside story" is that the Spicer's tried to throw their weight around to get their boy in before Berry thought he was ready, and then he decommitted just to prove a point, I would have zero trouble believing that story. But some around here automatically jump to the opposite conclusion that Berry is arrogant and doesn't care about his local recruits, when there is no history to suggest that is true.

Feels like a really simple story ... was likely told at a young age he could be ready to come in on X year. He works hard towards X year. X year comes up, someone has passed him on the recruiting hierarchy. He was asked to go back one more year, and said no, I'll look elsewhere. It is what it is.

3 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Settle down about Spicer.  Do you really think they would let a GF kid walk if he was THAT good?  

The answer is no. He'll be drafted middle rounds and will likely be a good NCAA player. it sucks, but he wasn't ready and he made his own move.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TheFlop said:

I actually don't mind Montgomery, but once again Montgomery did that a full year older than Spicer.  Do you really think Spicer wouldn't blow past that 23 point mark next season given how at every level he has started out slow but then skyrocketed once he got accustomed to the level?

All I'm really saying is that there's no way to know on Montgomery.  He barely saw the ice last year.  

1 hour ago, siouxweet said:

The first family of GF Youth Hockey think they know more about hockey than those who are coaches at a D1 college and have played at higher levels than high school hockey don't like what they hear throw a tantrum and leave.

This is probably closer to the truth than any one will admit

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Seems like a good reason to stay one more year at a level and then step into the next :)

I will wholeheartedly agree with this. I think he is getting some bad advice.  Now if his goal is more school oriented, I can understand, but if he is looking at wanting to make a profession out of hockey, it seems silly for him not to play that extra year of juniors.  You don’t often hear of players screwing up their career by being a big impact player at one level before moving on to the next.  He is no Logan Cooley, but perhaps he thinks there are others starting college that he is as good as.  If he screws up his development by rushing to the next level when he may not be ready, he has no one to blame but himself and his advisors if he flames out because of it. Would have loved to find a way to make room for him by trimming the roster other places, but I guess Alpha may be correct, that if he didn’t see much ice time he may just enter the portal anyway. We’ll see if he and his family end up regretting trying to rush him along.  

5 minutes ago, tnt said:

I will wholeheartedly agree with this. I think he is getting some bad advice.  Now if his goal is more school oriented, I can understand, but if he is looking at wanting to make a profession out of hockey, it seems silly for him not to play that extra year of juniors.  You don’t often hear of players screwing up their career by being a big impact player at one level before moving on to the next.  He is no Logan Cooley, but perhaps he thinks there are others starting college that he is as good as.  If he screws up his development by rushing to the next level when he may not be ready, he has no one to blame but himself and his advisors if he flames out because of it. Would have loved to find a way to make room for him by trimming the roster other places, but I guess Alpha may be correct, that if he didn’t see much ice time he may just enter the portal anyway. We’ll see if he and his family end up regretting trying to rush him along.  

I am totally onboard with a kid buying into himself and trying to prove it, but I have a bad feeling he's going to get shown that he may not have been ready for college hockey at 18. He trusted Bubs all along, so why should that stop now? We'll see, I guess. I completely believe Spicer has the talent to be able to be a stud in college hockey. I'm wholly doubting it happens this season.

And if he has a down year, what does that do to his confidence/psyche? 

10 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I completely believe Spicer has the talent to be able to be a stud in college hockey. I'm wholly doubting it happens this season.

Unless he goes to a "lower tier" college, he won't be getting top 6 minutes or PP time.  If he goes to a college similar to UND, there's a very good chance he'll be getting low minutes or sitting in the stands watching the games.  That's not gonna do much for his development, for sure.
2-3 years from now, no doubt he could/should be an impact player at the college level.  Trying to rush that though might cause some issues.

As a local kid, I hope for the best for him, but this is an odd decision to me (as a complete outsider).  ;) 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Feels like a really simple story ... was likely told at a young age he could be ready to come in on X year. He works hard towards X year. X year comes up, someone has passed him on the recruiting hierarchy. He was asked to go back one more year, and said no, I'll look elsewhere. It is what it is.

I think this is even a stretch that the coaches would go this far to guarantee a kid, particularly someone this young, that they would be coming in a set year. More likely is he thought he was ready, the staff said we think you need another year (like almost all other kids) and he/his family didn't like the answer. 

12 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I am totally onboard with a kid buying into himself and trying to prove it, but I have a bad feeling he's going to get shown that he may not have been ready for college hockey at 18. He trusted Bubs all along, so why should that stop now? We'll see, I guess. I completely believe Spicer has the talent to be able to be a stud in college hockey. I'm wholly doubting it happens this season.

And if he has a down year, what does that do to his confidence/psyche? 

I’ll say it for the third time…I’m next to positive this was a communication thing. When you tell a kid the whole year he’s coming in then telling him he’s not because you placed three older frosh ahead of him and decided to keep two 5th year seniors (one who may be 26 when the seasons over) at the 12th hour. That’s the issue. Had they said all along he should be play juniors I doubt there would have been an issue. 

And as I’ve said before, a year of juniors probably helps the kid…but again it’s the timing of everything.

7 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I’ll say it for the third time…I’m next to positive this was a communication thing. When you tell a kid the whole year he’s coming in then telling him he’s not because you placed three older frosh ahead of him and decided to keep two 5th year seniors (one who may be 26 when the seasons over) at the 12th hour. That’s the issue. Had they said all along he should be play juniors I doubt there would have been an issue. 

And as I’ve said before, a year of juniors probably helps the kid…but again it’s the timing of everything.

Do you believe this because you want it to be Berry's fault, or do you have some inside knowledge that promises were made?

7 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

If they were telling him up until recently he was coming in, that was definitely a mistake on their part. You're as dialed in to recruiting as anyone on this board, so if you say that's the case I believe it.

He needs to do what is best for him, hopefully he isn't making career-impacting decisions out of spite. It's likely that he was considered a low flight risk as a local. Will be interesting to see the reception he receives if he ever plays at the Ralph 

2 hours ago, siouxweet said:

The first family of GF Youth Hockey think they know more about hockey than those who are coaches at a D1 college and have played at higher levels than high school hockey don't like what they hear throw a tantrum and leave.

Shouldn’t Panzer’s be the first family?  They have actual accomplishments at high levels.  

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

If they were telling him up until recently he was coming in, that was definitely a mistake on their part. You're as dialed in to recruiting as anyone on this board, so if you say that's the case I believe it.

Knowing the uncertainty of everything with players having an extra year and plus the portal, I very highly doubt coaches were speaking any sort of absolutes to players. Particularly ones that are young. I have no doubt that they mentioned certain things as possibilities but it's not like this is their first rodeo.