SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

7 minutes ago, AJS said:

Said it before, but since they are going to the portal for D, go for the best option that has 2+ years remaining.

Yeah, I was excited about Daschke since I thought he had 2 years, but with the possible turnover after next year would lead me to see if there is another option.

41 minutes ago, tnt said:

Yeah, I was excited about Daschke since I thought he had 2 years, but with the possible turnover after next year would lead me to see if there is another option.

Geez, I looked at the GPL portal tracker too.  Can't trust those guys for anything, even simple math.  ;) :D

• Upvote 1

The easiest way to see what a player has left is to find them at HockeyDB and count seasons played, but do NOT count 2020-21. 

You still only get to play four seasons but 2020-21 does NOT count as a season played for anyone. 

39 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If Daschke had two left it’s a no-brainer. But he has one. That would make me look for a two-year player for the reasons I listed before. 

Bird in the hand baby. Take the best you can and worry about next year, next year. 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The easiest way to see what a player has left is to find them at HockeyDB and count seasons played, but do NOT count 2020-21. 

You still only get to play four seasons but 2020-21 does NOT count as a season played for anyone. 

That would be the easiest if you were only looking at one player, but to do that with everyone in the portal would be time consuming.  Is there a trustworthy site that has all that information for everyone in the portal?

26 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

Bird in the hand baby. Take the best you can and worry about next year, next year. 

If they can be a difference maker for a Championship that may be the way to go. If you’re a blue blood program you probably can get another high end guy in the portal again the following year, but ideally you can find a two year player that can make an impact and only have to make that transition from their old program to our way of doing things once. Would Simon Kjellberg be a good fit for two years?  Brady Ferner must have some input since they played together at RPI. 

15 minutes ago, tnt said:

Brady Ferner must have some input since they played together at RPI. 

Most of RPI is in the portal right now. They have a lame duck president who has done nothing to help athletics. They’ve named the replacement, but haven’t renewed the mens hockey coach’s contract (expired 4/1). It’s a mess. 

Berry emphasized how well this year gelled with so many freshmen and transfers. That likely comes down to leadership (Senden was highly regarded as a C prior to his tenure), and the individuals selected. Ford especially seemed like a good transfer, not to take anything away from the rest. Felt the same way about Michaud and Jones.

On 4/1/2022 at 9:48 PM, tnt said:

4 goals tonight for Dylan James.  Could be tough to send him back to juniors next year.

James with a goal and an assist in the 1st, goal yesterday. 25G 28A on the year, Top 20 in points. He’s forcing his way onto next years roster. There’s no way you keep a guy that’s almost at a PPG in juniors another year.

Edit: Finished with 2 goals and 2 assists. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, AJS said:

James with a goal and an assist in the 1st, goal yesterday. 25G 28A on the year, Top 20 in points. He’s forcing his way onto next years roster. There’s no way you keep a guy that’s almost at a PPG in juniors another year.

Edit: Finished with 2 goals and 2 assists. 

He is such a good skater its ridiculous.

I think he is in next year and Spicer may play a year in the USHL. 

18 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Berry emphasized how well this year gelled with so many freshmen and transfers. That likely comes down to leadership (Senden was highly regarded as a C prior to his tenure), and the individuals selected. Ford especially seemed like a good transfer, not to take anything away from the rest. Felt the same way about Michaud and Jones.

Agreed with this for the most part. Jones was injured a lot, when he played he was good. Reminds me a lot of Hain, impact player when he wasn't injured, but he certainly missed a lot of ice time because of injuries.

53 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Even if neither stays, you would think that someone else would need to as well if they intend to bring in Blake, McGlaughlin, Strinden and James. Haven't heard on anyone entering the portal yet, so as it stands we have 12 forwards without any of those four.   Adding either Hain or Senden to the mix would seem like quite a lot of forwards.   Obviously there are some other things happening that we don't know about, and their decisions will most likely start a chain of events. 

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Even if neither stays, you would think that someone else would need to as well if they intend to bring in Blake, McGlaughlin, Strinden and James. Haven't heard on anyone entering the portal yet, so as it stands we have 12 forwards without any of those four.   Adding either Hain or Senden to the mix would seem like quite a lot of forwards.   Obviously there are some other things happening that we don't know about, and their decisions will most likely start a chain of events. 

Agreed. I really have no idea how this is going to play out.