SiouxSports.com Forum

When Will Karl Become the Coach?

Cratter

On 2/23/2022 at 1:01 PM, UNDBIZ said:

And just to clarify here, Karl Goehring is 43 years old.  He's not some kid on the staff, haha.

That's young... very young goshdarnedit!!! 

That's an age that just oozes youth and vitality and athletic and mental vibrance.

When the brain fog and knee joints... and  back...  allow it.

8 hours ago, Cratter said:

And look what happened!

Minus today of course. ;)

Frankly, with how bad their defense has been, I can see them losing a lot of the one score games they have miraculously won this year.   I guess the margins in the NFL are so tight now, but it has become more and more likely you make the playoffs one year and miss the next based on how you perform in the last two minutes of the game, or critical point in the game anyway.  

On 2/19/2022 at 8:32 AM, Cratter said:

DU hired a coach in his 20s and that seems to be working out pretty good for them.

The trend in all sports seems to be hiring younger coaches and I think its the best thing. These players today are not made to be coached the way these older coaches know how to. It's not a knock on the older coaches but more of a knock on how a lot of these younger players have been coached/handled by people.

29 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

The trend in all sports seems to be hiring younger coaches and I think its the best thing. These players today are not made to be coached the way these older coaches know how to. It's not a knock on the older coaches but more of a knock on how a lot of these younger players have been coached/handled by people.

Worth noting the other three teams in the frozen four last year were coached by old guys.

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, jk said:

Worth noting the other three teams in the frozen four last year were coached by old guys.

Young/old not sure it overly matters if you have the right staff. What does matter is kids want to go play with other good kids. Michigan/MN’s pipeline is loaded…and you see all the top recruits going there. It should probably get “too full” and the next crop of top players need somewhere else to go. We just need to hope that us…and not Michigan state, Denver, etc.

i have heard recently from a good recruit that he had a really tough time deciding between MN and Denver. Noted Carle is a great guys who allows his skill players to play. As a Nodak fan I brought up us and he mentioned he never considered and said something slightly negative about allowing skilled players to play skilled. I didn’t necessarily follow. 

48 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Young/old not sure it overly matters if you have the right staff. What does matter is kids want to go play with other good kids. Michigan/MN’s pipeline is loaded…and you see all the top recruits going there. It should probably get “too full” and the next crop of top players need somewhere else to go. We just need to hope that us…and not Michigan state, Denver, etc.

i have heard recently from a good recruit that he had a really tough time deciding between MN and Denver. Noted Carle is a great guys who allows his skill players to play. As a Nodak fan I brought up us and he mentioned he never considered and said something slightly negative about allowing skilled players to play skilled. I didn’t necessarily follow. 

How many times have we seen Berry's "system" turn high scoring recruits into so-so college players.   If this is a common perception among potential recruits it is way more devastating to our recruiting efforts than NIL or other teams catching up in facilities.  Remember when recruits wanted to come here because they knew it was the best place to develop into NHL players (think Parise for example).  The staff needs to rethink things and fast.  

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Irish said:

How many times have we seen Berry's "system" turn high scoring recruits into so-so college players.   If this is a common perception among potential recruits it is way more devastating to our recruiting efforts than NIL or other teams catching up in facilities.  Remember when recruits wanted to come here because they knew it was the best place to develop into NHL players (think Parise for example).  The staff needs to rethink things and fast.  

Said this more then once ,UND where good  offensive players go to get worse !

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Said this more then once ,UND where good  offensive players go to get worse !

Just for scientific purposes... what players are you thinking? Would be good to get a list. And after that, let's see how they performed once they went elsewhere. If it's all on Bubbs, you'd expect Chris Wilkie, Adam Tambellini, etc., to take off once they left their UND shackles, right?

• Upvote 2

On 11/22/2022 at 4:30 PM, stoneySIOUX said:

Just for scientific purposes... what players are you thinking? Would be good to get a list. And after that, let's see how they performed once they went elsewhere. If it's all on Bubbs, you'd expect Chris Wilkie, Adam Tambellini, etc., to take off once they left their UND shackles, right?

Actually Tambellini slightly panned out. Wilkie got better too.