SiouxSports.com Forum

When Will Karl Become the Coach?

Cratter

7 hours ago, Cratter said:

As the NFL has shown, the younger the better.

Before this year, 8 of the last 10 Super Bowl winning head coaches have been in their 60s. The other two, Pederson and Harbaugh, were 49 and 40.

I'm guessing they were even older going back further.   

But as to your point, Gwoz, Lucia, Eades, and Blais were all pretty young when they won their first.  Probably similar to Berry?  I don't know how old Red was in his first one--did they even keep records back before artificial ice?

27 minutes ago, Cratter said:

DU hired a coach in his 20s and that seems to be working out pretty good for them.

You may very well be right, Cratter.   These kids have probably had pretty young coaches during their teens too, coaches moving up through the junior system.  

18 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Ever since Karl was hired permanently to the staff, I figured he would someday be head coach. But would probably have to wait until after Jackson had his stint. Karl wouldn’t be a young pup anymore by then. 

My prediction, Berry will be signed to an extension in the upcoming future.  

1 minute ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

I would think that Karl will be the next coach when Berry retires. Karl in my opinion is the best choice assuming they stay in house when Berry retires which may be quite a few years. 

I am waiting for his power play wrinkle where we have 4 shooters ready for one timers. Karl is a mastermind as far as power plays go.

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2022 at 9:43 AM, Dustin said:

Ever since Karl was hired permanently to the staff, I figured he would someday be head coach. But would probably have to wait until after Jackson had his stint. Karl wouldn’t be a young pup anymore by then. 

Karl isn’t that young right now.

On 2/19/2022 at 7:45 AM, Blackheart said:

Wasn’t it 1996 when Red won his first one?  That would have made him 127 years old.;)

Speaking of Mr. Berenson. How long would he have lasted at UND?

Took him 7 years to win a conference title. 12 years to win a national title, followed by another2 years later. Then he was coach for 19 years of their current 24 year drought. Won 11 regular season and 10 tournament championships in a weak CCHA/B10 in 37 years.