SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2022

cberkas

5 hours ago, brianvf said:

WMU soph forward Ty Glover has signed with the Penguins.

Assuming that Attard signs (which he will), that means that WMU will lose 7 of their top 9 scorers from this year.
It sounds like their goalie Bussi is getting offers as well.

I did not see that coming, he was really that sought after?

27 minutes ago, SuhakiYeahYeah said:

Super curious about this one. Maybe he’s a good penalty killer or something. Numbers are below avg…bigger kid I suppose. Appears to be archaic thinking, some GM can’t get out of their old thinking. 

While there is a certain amount of glee in seeing our in-conference rivals go through the same misery we went through last off-season, I personally think all of this is a bad development for the NCHC, and for North Dakota as a hockey program.  This league needs to maintain as much talent as possible for as long as possible.

I think anyone with a lick of sense has known for the last 8-10 years that it is inevitable that the B1G takes over college hockey.  There is simply too much money, tv access and name brand recognition for it to not happen.  The NCHC has done a heck of a job holding that off for now nearly a decade.  But it won't be forever, and I fear that 10 years from now we will look back and talk about how this is about the point in time when the takeover was complete.

B1G schools have dominated the recruiting battles for those "blue chippahs" everyone around here loves so dearly.  To counter that, we're going to need a league of talented upperclassmen.  A boatload of early departures for the AHL, or entries into the transfer portal, won't help that.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

15 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

While there is a certain amount of glee in seeing our in-conference rivals go through the same misery we went through last off-season, I personally think all of this is a bad development for the NCHC, and for North Dakota as a hockey program.  This league needs to maintain as much talent as possible for as long as possible.

I think anyone with a lick of sense has known for the last 8-10 years that it is inevitable that the B1G takes over college hockey.  There is simply too much money, tv access and name brand recognition for it to not happen.  The NCHC has done a heck of a job holding that off for now nearly a decade.  But it won't be forever, and I fear that 10 years from now we will look back and talk about how this is about the point in time when the takeover was complete.

B1G schools have dominated the recruiting battles for those "blue chippahs" everyone around here loves so dearly.  To counter that, we're going to need a league of talented upperclassmen.  A boatload of early departures for the AHL, or entries into the transfer portal, won't help that.

There's something to be said for schools that place hockey as a priority, there's a recruiting advantage to being the big man on campus. The Big10 will get theirs for sure but this is a little too chicken little for me.  I see the BIG and NCHC alternating years and which conference is the best in the west.  Sure the BIG will get more of the high end young kids that are 1-2 year players but that creates its own set of problems, see: Boston University & Wisconsin's unbalanced classes. Unless Michigan gets through this gauntlet of a Frozen Four, we still haven't seen one of these "super teams" win the big prize.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SuhakiYeahYeah said:

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Super curious about this one. Maybe he’s a good penalty killer or something. Numbers are below avg…bigger kid I suppose. Appears to be archaic thinking, some GM can’t get out of their old thinking. 

Its always possible that Ty Glover didn't really like schooling and just wants to play hockey.

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Sure the BIG will get more of the high end young kids that are 1-2 year players but that creates its own set of problems, see: Boston University & Wisconsin's unbalanced classes.  

For sure. And regardless of what happens in this years F4, Michigan is going to lose two lines worth of first rounders after this season. They have a couple more incoming and a couple might stay for another year, but their team won’t be as good (on paper) next season. 

There's something to be said for schools that place hockey as a priority, there's a recruiting advantage to being the big man on campus. The Big10 will get theirs for sure but this is a little too chicken little for me.  I see the BIG and NCHC alternating years and which conference is the best in the west.  Sure the BIG will get more of the high end young kids that are 1-2 year players but that creates its own set of problems, see: Boston University & Wisconsin's unbalanced classes. Unless Michigan gets through this gauntlet of a Frozen Four, we still haven't seen one of these "super teams" win the big prize.  

Wisconsin needs to figure it out. College hockey is so much better with a really good Wisconsin.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I generally agree with SJHovey.  Some of the recent recruiting battles are ominous indicators.  The question is how to thrive in the new world.  I think the answer is partly to focus on what UND has always been good at, Canadian kids who care more about hockey than they do the bigger sports world that dominates the U.S.  Also the team will just have to be older, and pick up late bloomers. It'll be interesting to see how the tourney goes next week, to see if the future is now. 

I agree with you 100%. Both Michigan and Minnesota have substantial upgrades at head coach (Pearson is a big upgrade from Red and Motzko is a big upgrade from Lucia). It makes sense their recruiting would pick up from what it was. The rest of that conference is nothing special. Also, hockey is 2nd or 3rd at best on the food chain at most of these schools (Minnesota is a notable exception to this). Hockey is not basketball or football. The failure of the current regional system in hockey is the direct result of trying to model the NCAA hockey tournament after March Madness (all neutral sites). Also, NIL won't be the same as for basketball and football, since hockey doesn't draw big media and corporate sponsor attention like the aforementioned sports do.

Bottom Line: UND is not going anywhere, whether Mel Pearson likes it or not. We will not settle for being a plucky little mid-major. :angry:

Sure the BIG will get more of the high end young kids that are 1-2 year players but that creates its own set of problems, see: Boston University & Wisconsin's unbalanced classes. 

SCSU had 3 freshman and 3 sophomores see ice time this season.  About as unbalanced as a team is going to get.

35 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I agree with you 100%. Both Michigan and Minnesota have substantial upgrades at head coach (Pearson is a big upgrade from Red and Motzko is a big upgrade from Lucia). It makes sense their recruiting would pick up from what it was. The rest of that conference is nothing special. Also, hockey is 2nd or 3rd at best on the food chain at most of these schools (Minnesota is a notable exception to this). Hockey is not basketball or football. The failure of the current regional system in hockey is the direct result of trying to model the NCAA hockey tournament after March Madness (all neutral sites). Also, NIL won't be the same as for basketball and football, since hockey doesn't draw big media and corporate sponsor attention like the aforementioned sports do.

Bottom Line: UND is not going anywhere, whether Mel Pearson likes it or not. We will not settle for being a plucky little mid-major. :angry:

Agreed but we didn’t do so well against the big 10 this past year

37 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I agree with you 100%. Both Michigan and Minnesota have substantial upgrades at head coach (Pearson is a big upgrade from Red and Motzko is a big upgrade from Lucia). It makes sense their recruiting would pick up from what it was.

I'm going to say Red was better at scheduling than Mel.  Even though they rarely traveled for nonconference, at least Red put a team on the ice.

1 hour ago, jk said:

I generally agree with SJHovey.  Some of the recent recruiting battles are ominous indicators.  The question is how to thrive in the new world.  I think the answer is partly to focus on what UND has always been good at, Canadian kids who care more about hockey than they do the bigger sports world that dominates the U.S.  Also the team will just have to be older, and pick up late bloomers. It'll be interesting to see how the tourney goes next week, to see if the future is now. 

Not going to say if such and such wins this year, that is the new trend and everyone else better look out.  I have always thought Michigan could win it all, but if you have to play 4 games against veteran teams that sometimes are built for shutdown, anything can happen.  The fact that Michigan was rewarded for ditching the game against Western basically gave them one less game to worry about in that regard.  They could very well win it all, but I am not going to jump to the conclusion that is going to be the new norm on winning championships, because for one thing, had we not had the Covid year, I have a feeling three of those players could have been one and done.   The fact they had such a poor college experience in that one year, caused them to want to come back for another kick at the can, and a more normal college experience. 

Miami defenseman and captain Derek Daschke will enter the transfer portal. He'll be one of the most coveted players in the portal this offseason. Daschke racked up 85 points in four years with the RedHawks, led them in scoring last year. Has one year of NCAA eligibility left.

That'll be a good dman pickup out of the portal for someone.