SiouxSports.com Forum

(Almost too soon) 2022 season

undVBfan

On 10/20/2022 at 9:22 PM, FSSD said:

I think the Hockey team is on road.

Yeah it was a jab.  In all the times I’ve watched a game where they call out another team being in the crowd supporting, I’ve never seen hockey.  Maybe I just haven’t watched enough.  That said the announcers didn’t mention them either and they were talking in general about multiple games this fall.

While attending UND, I noticed the hockey players rarely supported the others programs. Its the main reason I skipped attending the hockey games all together. The basketball, soccer, track, tennis, volleyball, football, swimming and softball teams could be spotted at one another's games supporting one another. The hockey team seemed self centered. 

• Upvote 1

UND students in general were the same. Most often if they liked the hockey team you never saw them support any other program. Many of those who supported the other programs skipped hockey becuase they too saw that hockey never supported anyone else. 

2 hours ago, 108498 said:

While attending UND, I noticed the hockey players rarely supported the others programs. Its the main reason I skipped attending the hockey games all together. The basketball, soccer, track, tennis, volleyball, football, swimming and softball teams could be spotted at one another's games supporting one another. The hockey team seemed self centered. 

I see the hockey team at football games early in the season,

6 minutes ago, siouxvblove said:

How long do they have left with Covid year? 

Norris listed as a junior, Olson a sophomore, and Barber a freshman.  I think you had to be participating during the 2020-21 academic year to get the free year, so Norris should for sure get one.  Olson and Barber were not on the roster then, so I think their class year is unaffected.  So, my guess is 2 more years of Norris (if she elects to) and Olson, and 3 more years of Barber.

Just now, Dustin said:

Norris listed as a junior, Olson a sophomore, and Barber a freshman.  I think you had to be participating during the 2020-21 academic year to get the free year, so Norris should for sure get one.  Olson and Barber were not on the roster then, so I think their class year is unaffected.  So, my guess is 2 more years of Norris (if she elects to) and Olson, and 3 more years of Barber.

To add to that, I would think recruiting will make a HUGE stride with the Tupacs at the helm, so it wouldn’t surprise me to have multiple freshmen in regular roles next year as well.

17 minutes ago, Dustin said:

To add to that, I would think recruiting will make a HUGE stride with the Tupacs at the helm, so it wouldn’t surprise me to have multiple freshmen in regular roles next year as well.

What about the graduate students (Stockman, Ward) or seniors? (Sewell, Carney) 

12 minutes ago, siouxvblove said:

What about the graduate students (Stockman, Ward) or seniors? (Sewell, Carney) 

Not positive on the graduate transfers.  My guess would be “no”, but I just don’t know.  The seniors would have the opportunity to elect an additional year, yes.  I only picked out (what I saw as) the 3 biggest contributing underclassmen earlier.

On 10/22/2022 at 1:41 PM, 108498 said:

Hockey is king, they have their living quarters and they have their own chef. They bring a lot of notoriety (and money) to UND so it is what it is. 

I've been a little out of touch with the conference tournament since we've joined the Summit League, so hopefully someone can catch me up.  It looks like the top 6 teams make the tournament.  Seems a bit low for a conference tournament, but it probably helps avoid an unexpected upset and get the best team in the NCAA.  Does that mean #1 and #2 seeds receive byes?  I see the tournament is in Omaha this year.  Does someone know how was that determined?  I would love if the Betty could host the conference tourney again like they did in 2011 (Great West) and 2016 (Big Sky).  Those tournaments are some of my best volleyball memories during the golden age.

• Upvote 1