SiouxSports.com Forum

(Almost too soon) 2022 season

undVBfan

Interested to see who the middles will be. The two older grad transfers should bring in experience but the freshman look like they have been doing well too. Freshman always need a couple games to get into the swing of college ball. 

I wonder why they do not run a one-setter offense and have Norris set in the front row. They seem to have tried everything except that. 

Looks like Sewell was sick last weekend so I’m guessing she’ll be back setting in the 6-2 with Norris, and Karney will move back to DS/L. He seems set with the 6-2, a lot of high level teams are using it too, it just gives you 3 options all the time.  If you don’t have a middle that can run well behind it also eliminates the need for that. Plus if Norris set in the front row, Olson wouldn’t play (and she’s a stud). 

Tonight’s game might be on the WIU broadcast, website looks promising…

2 minutes ago, kiyoat said:

Just dropping in to say the Hawks seem to be showing some signs of life, which is pretty impressive given the circumstances of a new staff and lots of roster turnover.  UND was predicted (by MasseyRatings.com) to win both opening matches, but not as handily as you did.

I haven't followed your roster closely, but maybe the new coach is starting to solidify some things?  Anyway, just wanted to congratulate you all on some incremental success.  In my uneducated opinion, you guys look like the best candidate to move from the bottom to middle tier, and should be competing with KC and ORU for that 6th Tournament spot by the end of the season, if all goes well.  I think KC is ripe to be upset.  A 7th place finish would be progress for Coach Tupac, too.  Would be positive momentum for next season.  Good luck.

Absolutely.  Getting to middle-of-the-pack this season would be a tremendous positive sign.  Would give me a lot of hope in years 2-4 of the Tupac era.

SDSU is pretty good this year, they beat Omaha in 5 this past weekend. Some good flashes last night, blocking was rough, and couldn’t dig a tip. A few “freshmen at home” moments.  Serving and passing has improved immensely, and that will hopefully get us a win Thursday. 

side note: NDSU beat South Dakota last night in 5! :0

23 minutes ago, loyalundfan said:

SDSU is pretty good this year, they beat Omaha in 5 this past weekend. Some good flashes last night, blocking was rough, and couldn’t dig a tip. A few “freshmen at home” moments.  Serving and passing has improved immensely, and that will hopefully get us a win Thursday. 

side note: NDSU beat South Dakota last night in 5! :0

Play was better than I had seen previously on TV/Stream (I did not catch any of the conference road trip last week where we won twice).  Digging tips was a problem.  I liked what I saw in Set 3.  Was disappointed that they couldn't hold on to a lead in Set 4.  The team is starting to show some resiliency, though.  Good things are happening, I think.

13 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I know zip about the sport, and have seen little of the games, but in what I did see digging seemed to be more of a comms problem (who's going for it) than a skills problem. That's not surprising in a new group. 

Its falling between people or people not moving? Thought our defense is doing great. Slow start in the match doesn’t put us in a position to win. Coming back from an early lead is a difficult thing to do.