SiouxSports.com Forum

(Almost too soon) 2022 season

undVBfan

12 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I've been a little out of touch with the conference tournament since we've joined the Summit League, so hopefully someone can catch me up.  It looks like the top 6 teams make the tournament.  Seems a bit low for a conference tournament, but it probably helps avoid an unexpected upset and get the best team in the NCAA.  Does that mean #1 and #2 seeds receive byes?  I see the tournament is in Omaha this year.  Does someone know how was that determined?  I would love if the Betty could host the conference tourney again like they did in 2011 (Great West) and 2016 (Big Sky).  Those tournaments are some of my best volleyball memories during the golden age.

Yes.

Whoever wins the regular season title the previous season. 

3 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Whoever wins the regular season title the previous season. 

Ok.  I understand that it's easier to plan when you know the venue and host a year in advance, but I feel like the reward is delayed and sort of cheats the best team of the current season.

It would be nice to get into that #3 seed (or #2 seed, but let's assume #3 for this argument) and play #6, currently SDSU.  At the moment, there appears to be a big drop-off from #5 (Denver) to #6, so getting your first game of the conference tourney out of the way with an easier match would be good for the team.  And then, maybe we can catch the #2 seed a little cold in the semi-final and ride our momentum into the championship game.

6 minutes ago, Wildfan said:

The Oral Roberts facility that I seen in some of the highlights is straight embarrassing for D1

Edit: looks like they play in their wellness center and have temporary bleachers set up on the outside courts. I've seen better setups in HS B volleyball.

https://oruathletics.com/facilities/cooper-aerobics-center/4 

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

It would be nice to get into that #3 seed (or #2 seed, but let's assume #3 for this argument) and play #6, currently SDSU.  At the moment, there appears to be a big drop-off from #5 (Denver) to #6, so getting your first game of the conference tourney out of the way with an easier match would be good for the team.  And then, maybe we can catch the #2 seed a little cold in the semi-final and ride our momentum into the championship game.

Still blown away with the Denver game. It was so back and forth, I think our Lady Hawks can beat them for sure. Assuming we will have a couple more wins (UMKC, SDSU, Denver, NDSU, USD??) Where would that put us. 

17 minutes ago, siouxvblove said:

Still blown away with the Denver game. It was so back and forth, I think our Lady Hawks can beat them for sure. Assuming we will have a couple more wins (UMKC, SDSU, Denver, NDSU, USD??) Where would that put us. 

Almost incomprehensible compared to what we dealt with last year, but winning out from this point (though I will admit would be unlikely) would make them champs (or possibly co-champs) the for regular season.  In that scenario, the best that USD, NDSU, or Omaha could do is tie UND at the top with a record of 15-3.  UND would own the head-to-head tiebreaker with both USD and NDSU, but would still be tied with Omaha, with each team having won once.  I am not quite sure what the next tie-breaker criteria would be, so it possible we could lose that one.

Since that scenario seems unlikely, let's see what happens if UND splits its games with the upper echelon (USD, NDSU, Omaha, and Denver, which BTW, we play them all AT HOME over the next 2 weeks, so get your butts in the Betty!!) for the season (meaning at the end of the year we would 1-1 with all those aforementioned teams): UND would finish 13-5 and probably be about where we are now in the standings - 4th or 5th.  Like I said, if we could get out of the 4/5 match-up, I see that benefitting us a lot.  But to do that, we will have to win a couple matches we are not favored in.

Can't believe we're talking conference tourney seeding scenarios, but here we are.  First, finish up the road trip tomorrow with a win, and then 4 straight home games against the cream of the crop.  Should be a lot of fun.

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Don't quote me, but top six in a 3-6 winner plays 2, 4-5 winner plays 1 format to give top two some advantage for winning during regular season. 

I believe Omaha hosts as last season's regular season champ. 

This is exactly correct.  And I'm quoting you.....

Great reverse-sweep win.  I think at this point the only way Tupac doesn't win COY is if NDSU wins the regular season.  Great hire.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Dustin said:

...  I am not quite sure what the next tie-breaker criteria would be, so it possible we could lose that one....

I believe that after a H2H comparison, the records of the tied teams are compared to each conference opponent, one-by-one, starting at the top of the rankings.  So if there are a bunch of teams tied for first, like in your example, then the next team down in standings is what would be compared.

If that is still a tie they look at RPI ranking.

Keep in mind that tie-breakers in the Summit are just for seeding (and determining next year's host), Co-champions is a thing.

I’m getting ready for a crazy back end of conference!!! Team is playing well, I’d love to see them knock off 2 of the top 4 (I think they can do it too.) There are usually a couple upsets pre conference tournament. Plus USD starting setter in a boot, so Tuesday could be fun!

Let’s park the Betty for the top conference teams in November!!!

• Upvote 1

2022 Summit League Volleyball Preseason Coaches' Poll

Rank School Points (1st) 2021 Record (SL)
1. Denver 75 (6) 23-6 (14-4)
2. South Dakota 74 (3) 20-10 (15-3)
3. Omaha 68 (1) 20-10 (16-2)
4. Oral Roberts 53 18-11 (11-7)
5. South Dakota State 51 19-12 (10-8)
6. Kansas City 42 21-10 (12-6)
7. North Dakota State 35 12-18 (6-12)
8. North Dakota 22 1-29 (0-18)
9. St. Thomas 20 3-25 (2-16)
10. Western Illinois 10 5-24 (4-14