SiouxSports.com Forum

(Almost too soon) 2022 season

undVBfan

1 minute ago, SiouxFan100 said:

We belong!

That’s the impression I’m considering away with, too. Either that, USD isn’t as dominant without their starting setter. But I saw a lot of good things, a few bad things, but, honestly, prepared to lose in 3 tonight.  Way exceeded by expectations. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Tough one, they should have won it!

At times, UND was the better team. At times, not. Our back row, overall, needs a boost to get back to our preferred level. A back row attacker would add some variety to our offensive, and the libero could be more aggressive. USD found some success by hitting/serving at our libero, and normally that would be the player you’d want to avoid because she’s so good at digs and bumps. A legit libero would my my #1 recruiting target. 

24 minutes ago, Dustin said:

At times, UND was the better team. At times, not. Our back row, overall, needs a boost to get back to our preferred level. A back row attacker would add some variety to our offensive, and the libero could be more aggressive. USD found some success by hitting/serving at our libero, and normally that would be the player you’d want to avoid because she’s so good at digs and bumps. A legit libero would my my #1 recruiting target. 

That libero you are talking so poorly of was just named Defensive Player of the Week for the second time this season and had 33 digs on the night. That is 6.6 digs per set which is better than any other libero in the summit league. 

16 minutes ago, Siouxfan007 said:

That libero you are talking so poorly of was just named Defensive Player of the Week for the second time this season and had 33 digs on the night. That is 6.6 digs per set which is better than any other libero in the summit league. 

Those were just my wife’s observations tonight. She’s the volleyball player from back in HS. I wasn’t trying to speak poorly of her.

We will need to recruit a libero, however, since she is a senior. 

49 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I think a back row attacker would really benefit the team. Seeing USD’s use of the back row was really cool. Overall great game, not sure we should be too harsh on any of the players. This is an insane improvement from years past and the fact the ladies even got to 5 sets against a top team is amazing. I think they played their hearts out, maybe not as consistently as fans could want but a great game with a lot of spirit. Could not be more excited for Saturday, pack the Betty! 

• Upvote 2

More musings from last night's match:

First off, sorry if it seemed I was coming down hard on our libero.  I wasn't trying to.

Play has improved DRASTICALLY since early in the year.  You'd swear it wasn't the same players sometimes.  Ball control, communication, blocking, and spiking all big improvements.

I felt sorry for Ashlyn Olson.  She never was able to get it going, which, if she had, could have been the difference.  A powerful lefty (and the threat thereof) is a really good way to just mess with opposing defenses.  Even during the golden age of UND volleyball, a lefty hitter on other teams always caused us problems.  It's nice to have one on our side now.

Of all the players, I trust Elizabeth Norris the most, whether it's setting, hitting, or serving.  All-around very versatile player.

Our team is young.  3 freshman are regular players.  2 sophomores are regular players.  Norris is a junior.  As long as we replace Stockman and Ward with equal (or better) hitters, our program will be relevant.  I could see using the transfer portal or graduate transfers again to fill specific roles/needs.  Amazing job by Tupac and his staff to resurrect the program to this level in just one year.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Dustin said:

More musings from last night's match:

First off, sorry if it seemed I was coming down hard on our libero.  I wasn't trying to.

Play has improved DRASTICALLY since early in the year.  You'd swear it wasn't the same players sometimes.  Ball control, communication, blocking, and spiking all big improvements.

I felt sorry for Ashlyn Olson.  She never was able to get it going, which, if she had, could have been the difference.  A powerful lefty (and the threat thereof) is a really good way to just mess with opposing defenses.  Even during the golden age of UND volleyball, a lefty hitter on other teams always caused us problems.  It's nice to have one on our side now.

Of all the players, I trust Elizabeth Norris the most, whether it's setting, hitting, or serving.  All-around very versatile player.

Our team is young.  3 freshman are regular players.  2 sophomores are regular players.  Norris is a junior.  As long as we replace Stockman and Ward with equal (or better) hitters, our program will be relevant.  I could see using the transfer portal or graduate transfers again to fill specific roles/needs.  Amazing job by Tupac and his staff to resurrect the program to this level in just one year.

Ward played well, and has been all season. Why call for better hitters, we all want the team to be as good as possible and have amazing players but why not give the ladies more credit and appreciate that we did get grad transfers who contribute and play well. Along with a young roster who will continue to grow. This team will just get better with time and and settling in throughout the years but we should be grateful for our current roster’s talent level and record. We aren’t going to go from last to first in a single year. Try to be positive about the players (especially Carney) 

9 minutes ago, siouxvblove said:

Ward played well, and has been all season. Why call for better hitters, we all want the team to be as good as possible and have amazing players but why not give the ladies more credit and appreciate that we did get grad transfers who contribute and play well. Along with a young roster who will continue to grow. This team will just get better with time and and settling in throughout the years but we should be grateful for our current roster’s talent level and record. We aren’t going to go from last to first in a single year. Try to be positive about the players (especially Carney) 

I think you're misinterpreting (or reading more into) what I'm trying to say.  In my last paragraph, I'm talking about the future.  I'm not talking about replacing Stockman and Ward NOW, I mean after they graduate.   As for "why not give the ladies a little more credit", I just gave them LOADS of credit for how much improvement has been made in just one season.  And when did I not "appreciate we did get grad transfers who contribute and play well" or "be grateful for current roster's talent level and record"? Not sure how I am coming across, but it must not be the right way.

And again, with Carney, I was just commenting on what my wife and I were noticing.  Not trying to be negative on her or any other player.

I like to give credit where credit is due. And really praise these girls for all their hard work. This season is better than I could have hoped from last year to now. Watching their faces as the smile through games, the team chemistry is completely shifted from before. The girls fight. They have a drive to win and you can see it. We competed with a top team, we were close. We beat the Bison. Norris does an amazing job in defense, setting, and blocking. Amazing. Sewell does an amazing job setting. Carney fights hard as a libero. Lipitski works along the net and does a great job blocking and hitting. Ward has some amazing range as a hitter. Olsen  is probably the best hitter on the team (in my opinion, when she gets going) and she has 2 more years. Stockman is a big force, both hitting and blocking. McCormick and Hornyack do amazing defensively. 

Love all these girls and wish them the best,.

11 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I think you're misinterpreting (or reading more into) what I'm trying to say.  In my last paragraph, I'm talking about the future.  I'm not talking about replacing Stockman and Ward NOW, I mean after they graduate.   As for "why not give the ladies a little more credit", I just gave them LOADS of credit for how much improvement has been made in just one season.  And when did I not "appreciate we did get grad transfers who contribute and play well" or "be grateful for current roster's talent level and record"? Not sure how I am coming across, but it must not be the right way.

And again, with Carney, I was just commenting on what my wife and I were noticing.  Not trying to be negative on her or any other player.

Sorry might be projecting a bit. Have been spending too much time on these forums and for all sports I think we can get too negative about the players or outcomes at times, and can show our team some love. 

Just trying to give the girls all some love. I love this team, this facility, and this University. I may not know the most about volleyball but I noticed more that sometimes a good game is a good game. There are good losses and bad losses, there can always be improvements for sure but I think these types of forums can get a little negative. What if any of the players read negative comments? We have fans that love and back them up always, including you. 

Sorry if this came across as rude, as I said. Might be projecting and just feeling protective at the moment. laugh out loud