SiouxSports.com Forum

(Almost too soon) 2022 season

undVBfan

Seems like a good time to start a new topic. 

I like the hire. Volleytalk likes the hire. :-) I see energy, which is something that has been missing for several years. Had it with Hardee and Prior, time to get it back.

A couple of thoughts:

Time to get off the bashing. New coach, new attitude, new upcoming season. 

Our best hope for a coach is to have someone in high demand in 3-4 years. That means we'll have done well. We're not UM, or UNL, or UW (vb equivalents of UND hockey), we want someone who the big time schools want. And it'll make the job appealing for whomever is next.

For needs, everything. Setters have been mentioned, but first we need ball control. Setting is running an offense, our setters spend too much time just trying to get to the ball. I think the players who ended up on the court must have been picked for their ability to put up the best out-of-system ball, not running an offense. A six rotation O1 who can consistently put away a ball and hits out of the pipe would be nice. But passing is first. At all levels, the teams that pass the best usually win.

Personnel:

No idea what went into any of these decisions, but there are always roster changes. And new transfer rules have to be h*ll for coaches these days (see men's bb). I think everyone is convinced the grass will be greener, except it doesn't always work out that way.

Ahrens looks to be playing beach at UTA&M Kingsville. The change should be interesting, especially for a middle usually (next to never) in serve receive. :-) I wonder if there was any interest in going to grad school at UND? A change of scenery and weather can't be all bad, I wish her well. 

Think Alexa Albinson is at Canisius.

Sofia Hedqvist looks to be at some Cal state college (don't remember which one).

I haven't heard anything else, but I suspect there will be more movement with 4 signees (assuming they are still on board). On a side note, anyone have any ideas how it works with signees when there is a coaching change?

Lots going on in the transfer portal, but mostly showing players from P5 schools. Not everyone is from P5, and the Twitter page obviously doesn't show everyone transferring. UND might be an interesting sell to a transfer; guess that is where having some energy injected into the system might be beneficial.

I'm looking forward to the fall...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Watched the coaches introduction press conference. He seems legit. 
l didn’t watch much this last year. Frustrating and not fun.

culture and I assume better players are needed. Not sure how many pieces we currently have. Coach seemed to imply we should expect major improvement right away.

hopefully volleyball can become a thing again this coming year

43 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Watched the coaches introduction press conference. He seems legit. 
l didn’t watch much this last year. Frustrating and not fun.

culture and I assume better players are needed. Not sure how many pieces we currently have. Coach seemed to imply we should expect major improvement right away.

hopefully volleyball can become a thing again this coming year

I like the part when he referred to himself as the billy bean of volleyball... lol.  I like the hire 10/10.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Roster has been updated, no surprises. Everyone that I expected to be gone is gone. I think everyone else is still listed, but it's just January, so who knows what it will look like by summer.

5 players graduated (or ran out of eligibility or just decided to be done :)), 2 more left at break.  They've announced 4 signees, assuming they are all still coming to UND. I don't know the scholarship status of any of the 11 outgoing or incoming players, but it does make me think there is some room for Coach to venture into the Transfer Portal. I don't think the roster is even close to being set.

Has anyone heard anything about Erin's plans? This is where choosing coaching as a profession has to make life interesting.

23 hours ago, undVBfan said:

Has anyone heard anything about Erin's plans?

This is the part of the equation that intrigues me the most.  She's remained on staff through 3 head coaches; the only consistent part of the program since the dramatic rise up with Hardee (first as a player, then as a coach) and the equally hard fall under Pryor and Tiffin.  Obviously she has some value to the program, but not enough to make her HC.

16 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Don't know what the rules are for this situation, but she would clearly be an asset.

The head T&F coach hired his wife as an assistant (she had the credentials to more than justify it).
But I would think this might be a situation where maybe she is more of an asset in her current role.

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I'd like to see Coach Green stay. 

Although I wouldn't fault her if she decides to go elsewhere. 

I was wondering if she wants to go elsewhere?

A spouse (I assume with a career), little kids (not sharing anything that isn't already public), time away from home, available support systems (she's from MN, not sure about his family), among other factors; lots and lots that go into the equation. Prior left to limit travel and spend less time on the road. It's pretty hard to fault someone for that. It's also hard to fault someone for having career asperations. 

I'd like to see her stay as well, assuming that is what she wants to do. I wouldn't think Coach Tupac has anyone coming with him, so I assume we'll be hiring two assistants.  And there are numerous examples in VB where spouses have worked together, but that sounds like a scary idea (only thinking personally :)). It'll be interesting to see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

I think they have limited practice time for the short term, with more practice time per week when we get closer to spring ball. Years ago they were allow "individual practices," maybe no more than 3 or 4 players at a time, usually grouped by position. I'm not sure if they still have limits on numbers, or if it's just a limitation on hrs./week.

They were setting up the nets after Thursdays basketball game, so I suspect it's early AM practices.

I suspect there is a lot of mental filtering going on right now, figuring out who will be around in the fall.

To get both of these on board seems like a HUUUUGE shot in the arm for UND volleyball.  I think we will easily be winning recruiting battles for top regional talent with these two at the helm.  The only downside I see is how long do we get to keep them??!!

2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

How unique is this?  That a husband and wife are coaching on the same staff. 

I suspect the administration would have know this was going to happen, not that it's a bad thing. I think it might be a very good thing.

Spouses coaching together is not unheard of. Kreklows at Missouri immediately come to mind. Washington State right now. I seem to recall Michigan years ago, maybe even at Oregon and Colorado State. Closer to home the Moodys (Aidan's parents) did pretty well at Dickinson State.

Spouses coaching against each other has to be much more interesting. :) I remember that happening years ago in MN high school, I think Win-E-Mac vs. Fosston?

7 hours ago, undVBfan said:

I suspect the administration would have know this was going to happen, not that it's a bad thing. I think it might be a very good thing.

Spouses coaching together is not unheard of. Kreklows at Missouri immediately come to mind. Washington State right now. I seem to recall Michigan years ago, maybe even at Oregon and Colorado State. Closer to home the Moodys (Aidan's parents) did pretty well at Dickinson State.

Spouses coaching against each other has to be much more interesting. :) I remember that happening years ago in MN high school, I think Win-E-Mac vs. Fosston?

Interesting.  

No issue from me on this btw.

• 2 weeks later...