SiouxSports.com Forum

The Rest of the NCHC 2021-22

The Sicatoka

31 minutes ago, TalonsUpPuckDown said:

Student section is always full, they line up 30+ min before the doors open to make sure to get a seat.  Our barn is 50+ years old and is one-of-a-kind.  You're right on top of the action.  Ceiling is all metal and low (and I mean LOW!) so 3000 people sound and feel like 6000.  We usually outdraw the basketball team.  I have season tickets so I'm there at least once each home weekend.  Biggest draws are OSU, Miami State, Western, Notre Dame, Michigan State (basically the MAC and oCCHA blue blood teams).  We do home-and-home with various combinations of these guys every year for our OOC schedule.  

Thanks for the time guys, I don't want to overstay my welcome so I'll hand the mic back to you.

Know a guy who played there and he loved every second of the whole hockey and school experience.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Dave Berger said:

Here's how the league race shapes up with five weekends remaining in the regular season:

Down The Home Stretch: Who Will Win the 2022 Penrose Cup?

Discuss. :)

Dave

Generally, I like KRACH as an excellent objective method for this kind of prediction.

There's always something, though.  Other factors that can't be measured objectively:   This includes (1)  Denver playing AT Western Michigan -KRACH doesn't (typically) factor in home-ice advantage, which in the case of Western is significant.  (2) The wear and tear of short-intervals between games ... such as St Cloud's Tuesday games in the middle of weeks with travel.  Hard to see St Cloud doing as well as their KRACH would indicate.  (3) Lineup absences, which are pretty significant for some teams (Olympics), and unpredictable factors like covid and injuries.  (4)  Teams gelling as the year goes on, and I hope UND fits this category.   St Cloud and Western have guys that have been linemates for years plus, whereas UND is still getting the hang of playing together.    This also applies to teams with a lot of young guys in the lineup, as freshman learn they contribute more.  

That said, I still like our chances of winning the NCHC again.   But with all that said, it would be hard to bet against Denver, still. 

I'm giving myself room to pivot, but today, looking at the standings and this weekends schedule, I'm hoping for a Denver sweep of Duluth. I'm good with Denver running the table if it'll mean (1) Securing Top 3 spot in the NCHC (2) Slight hits to others PWR.

On 2/9/2022 at 7:45 AM, AJS said:

I'm giving myself room to pivot, but today, looking at the standings and this weekends schedule, I'm hoping for a Denver sweep of Duluth. I'm good with Denver running the table if it'll mean (1) Securing Top 3 spot in the NCHC (2) Slight hits to others PWR.

I do realize there's going to be a big difference between the #2 and #3 spot when it comes to first round matchups, BUT, in the same thought I had about Denver, I think I'm doing the same with Western. For this weekend, I want both Denver (over Duluth) and Western (over SCSU) to sweep. 

On 2/9/2022 at 7:45 AM, AJS said:

Bad news:  CHN just picked Denver as their Team of the Week.   Which means they get swept this weekend. :cool:

On 2/10/2022 at 11:11 AM, AJS said:

I do realize there's going to be a big difference between the #2 and #3 spot when it comes to first round matchups, BUT, in the same thought I had about Denver, I think I'm doing the same with Western. For this weekend, I want both Denver (over Duluth) and Western (over SCSU) to sweep. 

Sticking w/ wanting Denver to win tonight, but want SCSU now over Western.

59 minutes ago, AJS said:

Sticking w/ wanting Denver to win tonight, but want SCSU now over Western.

It's a close call.  If SC goes back to abusing the bottom of the league, they get 12 points there the rest of the way, putting them at 34 plus whatever they can get of the 9 points they'll share with UMD.  So they could still be a threat if UND struggles.  

I see UND needing 5 more points to clinch fourth.  Every point UMD and SC drop to anyone else along the way shrinks that number. 

The bigger concern is the PWR.  Since the losing streak, UND is 3-0-2 (basically, as the 55/45 is just about a tie), and has stayed stuck at 12.  Beyond frustrating. 

• 2 weeks later...