SiouxSports.com Forum

The Rest of the NCHC 2021-22

The Sicatoka

50 minutes ago, cberkas said:

After seeing it pointed out somewhere with the whole Miami and Western Michigan are going to the CCHA for the millionth time. Western Michigan needs to get their sh*t together and not have the most outdated arena in the conference. 

Are they switching conferences?

9 hours ago, cberkas said:

After seeing it pointed out somewhere with the whole Miami and Western Michigan are going to the CCHA for the millionth time. Western Michigan needs to get their sh*t together and not have the most outdated arena in the conference. 

Be careful what you wish for.  If Western can be as good as they are recruiting to that facility with the atmosphere, what can they do with a shiny new arena.   Maybe they will be taking all the first round picks from Michigan because Yost is old and isn't set up like new facilities today. 

10 hours ago, cberkas said:

But no one is talking about those two teams leaving for the CCHA. Not one single pundit. 

1 hour ago, Goon said:

But no one is talking about those two teams leaving for the CCHA. Not one single pundit. 

Plus, wouldn’t  it be a significant penalty if they were to leave the NCHC?  I seem to remember reading something to that effect when the conference was initially formed.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Plus, wouldn’t  it be a significant penalty if they were to leave the NCHC?  I seem to remember reading something to that effect when the conference was initially formed.

It is, 1.5-2 million to leave the NCHC. 

19 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

ncha takes bemidji, mankato, st thomas, and arizona state...ccha gets western and miami and the pundits and fans are happy

the nchc gets way better and the ccha and lucia suck weiners.

Yeah yeah, Oscar Myer even, footlong, dodger dog, a weenie!

28 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

ncha takes bemidji, mankato, st thomas, and arizona state...ccha gets western and miami and the pundits and fans are happy

Let's gooooooo

I can at least see ASU joining in the near future. I think that would be cool. But then to recruit against ASU in the future might be difficult as well. They are getting a new arena and also ASU is a pretty fun school. I went there for 3 semesters - its a lot different now, but I think if they start stepping up their program they could be really good and have luck with recruiting in the future.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

All the Minnesota schools in one conference minus the gophers? Sounds good to me

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, FightingSU said:

Let's gooooooo

I can at least see ASU joining in the near future. I think that would be cool. But then to recruit against ASU in the future might be difficult as well. They are getting a new arena and also ASU is a pretty fun school. I went there for 3 semesters - its a lot different now, but I think if they start stepping up their program they could be really good and have luck with recruiting in the future.

competition makes you better....bring it on.  ASU's arena would be full of sioux jersey's all winter....still can't believe we haven't sent an invite?

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

competition makes you better....bring it on.  ASU's arena would be full of sioux jersey's all winter....still can't believe we haven't sent an invite?

We are playing them next year, er, this year in Vegas - so maybe after that we'll send one.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Goon said:

It's mainly a small group of fans and one writer/blogger from BGSU and Miami with 1 or 2 Western Michigan fans in there.

I don't see either leaving anytime soon

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, cberkas said:

It's mainly a small group of fans and one writer/blogger from BGSU and Miami with 1 or 2 Western Michigan fans in there.

I don't see either leaving anytime soon

I would say BGSU has a better chance of joing the NCHC than WMU and Miami do of leaving.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, petey23 said:

I would say BGSU has a better chance of joining the NCHC than WMU and Miami do of leaving.

I would agree. From May 2016. The number 1.5-2 million dollar buyout keeps coming up. 

The NCHC has a massive buyout that makes leaving the conference a pricey proposition.

According to multiple sources, the league's buyout equates to the operating budget in that particular year. Right now, it would be roughly $1.5 million.

It also requires a 24-month notice or the penalty is even steeper.

The buyout makes it extremely difficult for any team to leave without a major conference helping to subsidize the buyout and move.

6 hours ago, TalonsUpPuckDown said:

Hi, your friendly neighborhood Bowling Green interloper here.  If you consider Wodon a pundit, here are his thoughts from 2020 on Miami State vacating the NCHC -- take it for what it's worth.   https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2020/02/19_Forget-the-Name,-New-CCHA.php Here's the relevant paragraph:

Bergeron's travel budget was substantially reduced this year so you now end up watching the Redhawks lose to Ferris State and Mercyhurst (bus rides) instead of losing to Vermont and Maine (flights). While I personally doubt a move will happen, it's within the realm of what's plausible.  What I don't understand is why you wouldn't offer a Miami State-for-Mankato trade straight up with no penalties.  You bring in a team that greatly improves your overall league PWR who will travel well to the Frozen Faceoff (Miami State never will) and you get rid of a geographic outlier.  Win-win-win?

We once had a 23h Magical Mystery Tour bus ride to Bemidji due to weather and Chicagoland traffic.  Swapping out all of the Minnesota schools for Western/Miami State would be a net (edit: travel) positive for us though the Yooper league members would disagree.

Thanks for the time.

Not trying to be a Richard here but why do you refer to them as Miami State?

31 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Not trying to be a Richard here but why do you refer to them as Miami State?

Sorry for that, force of habit. 

Miami University has a certain reputation in Ohio where they often times will forget they are a state school like Kent, BG, Ohio State, and even that godforsaken Toledo. Many have gotten in the habit of reminding them. Dampens their self styled “public ivy” image. It’s why I think they’ll never leave the NCHC.  This type of hit to their ego would be felt in Australia.  Full disclosure: my wife is a Miami State grad.

tl;dr version is it’s an Ohio thing. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TalonsUpPuckDown said:

Sorry for that, force of habit. 

Miami University has a certain reputation in Ohio where they often times will forget they are a state school like Kent, BG, Ohio State, and even that godforsaken Toledo. Many have gotten in the habit of reminding them. Dampens their self styled “public ivy” image. It’s why I think they’ll never leave the NCHC.  This type of hit to their ego would be felt in Australia.  Full disclosure: my wife is a Miami State grad.

tl;dr version is it’s an Ohio thing. 

My Ohio relatives didn’t even know Miami exists. :lol:

• Upvote 2

The atmosphere at Bowling Green seems electric. I saw highlights of a recent game against OSU and the building seems very loud and the fans looked like they were right on top of the ice. Is hockey a popular sport among the student body and locals?