SiouxSports.com Forum

2021 Season

SWSiouxMN

7 minutes ago, zonadub said:

You mean 1 - 19 is not an issue?   :huh:

I would think 1-19, or whatever it ends up being, would be an end-of-the-year issue. It doesn't seem like a mid-season issue.

I hope this ends up being someone with clout whose had enough, only because every other option seems much worse. I'm sure we'll hear more soon enough.

I wonder how long it will take before this makes it to VolleyTalk?

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

Don't make a lazy hire in the first place and then he wouldn't have to deal with this down the road.  Chaves own fault.

Personally, I would have rather seen them go with Erin if they had kept it internal.

But yes, this turned out very poorly in more ways than one. Time to go outside and get someone to fix the mess.

I wish for a certain NSIC head coach, but I know it would never happen

15 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Personally, I would have rather seen them go with Erin if they had kept it internal.

But yes, this turned out very poorly in more ways than one. Time to go outside and get someone to fix the mess.

Starkey?  

3 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Weird thing is, Tiffin came in with decent credentials.  Basically he was hand picked by Pryor, our most successful coach ever, to be his successor.  Plus, Tiffin is from Winnipeg, so I was hoping to tap into a Canadian recruiting well.  Just an overall bigtime failure on his part, whatever this distraction happens to be, to slide a strong program down so far.  For shame.

2 hours ago, Shawn-O said:
3 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Starkey?

Actually looks like a lot of the NSIC teams have good records this year.  Maybe one of Starkey's assistants, too, would be a cool route to take.  

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

Looking at the NSIC standings, the five North Dakota / NW Minnesota teams are a combined 1-44.  That is some dreadful volleyball in this region.

Power teams are in the South (CSP, Wayne, SMSU, Augie, Winona all 7-2 or better, USF and Upper Iowa at 6-3)

I commented earlier this year that coach didn't have to win big this year, but had to show improvement. We knew they'd be young, but had to get better as the season progressed. It seems clear that the ship is not only pointing in the wrong direction, but taking on serious water as well. 

I'm going to take that not hearing much about the reason for the administrative leave as a good thing. I suspect if it was something "really" serious (see past events) there would be a lot more word getting out. I'm speculating tough practices, lots and lots of frustration from everyone (any maybe things being said that shouldn't be said), and a booster or two that's had enough. To quote Sergeant Schultz, "I know nothing!"  I'm just guessing and hoping for the best.

We need someone to inspire, to motivate. We've been there before. I'm hoping the administration will step up and do what needs to be done to get that type of person here again. And no, it won't be "that" person from the Cities. He has too good of thing going at CSP. If he wanted to leave, he would have been gone long ago. And to a more high profile job (with better pay) than UND. 

47 minutes ago, undVBfan said:

I commented earlier this year that coach didn't have to win big this year, but had to show improvement. We knew they'd be young, but had to get better as the season progressed. It seems clear that the ship is not only pointing in the wrong direction, but taking on serious water as well. 

I'm going to take that not hearing much about the reason for the administrative leave as a good thing. I suspect if it was something "really" serious (see past events) there would be a lot more word getting out. I'm speculating tough practices, lots and lots of frustration from everyone (any maybe things being said that shouldn't be said), and a booster or two that's had enough. To quote Sergeant Schultz, "I know nothing!"  I'm just guessing and hoping for the best.

We need someone to inspire, to motivate. We've been there before. I'm hoping the administration will step up and do what needs to be done to get that type of person here again. And no, it won't be "that" person from the Cities. He has too good of thing going at CSP. If he wanted to leave, he would have been gone long ago. And to a more high profile job (with better pay) than UND. 

A person can dream can't he?

You are right though, they need someone to bring the program back to respectability and challenging for Summit titles. 

what's happening with Tiffen and Und Volleyball  we have heard nothing in two weeks and the program is in shambles if you judge it by its record. This has been long time coming Hardee built this program but because of personal problems had to leave but since then we lived off his recruiting and the team he put together.  Pryor was good enough coach to get results out the team inherited but his recruiting and way he felt about Grand Forks and North Dakota in general did little to help him recruit and before it all fell apart he left for warmer climate and division III program if that doesn't tell you something. Then we hire Tiffen from our assistants with upcoming resume but doesn't seem like a ball of fire when he has been interviewed but was given benefit of the doubt. Then we have blow up with girls on social media and our recruiting seems to be falling  off especially since covid hit. It's hard to believe a program that was competing for conference championships and heading to NCAA tournament has fallen so far in such few years. This has to be on the AD because he's made hires and has direct knowledge of what's happening with the program. I think Chaves was hired because he was all in Hockey and had good football program in Eastern Washington but i wonder what his commitment has been to women's sports because since his arrival we have seen both women's basketball and volleyball program's go dramatically backwards. 

• Upvote 2

Hardee had the program going well. Funny thing about that is, he did it initially with Katy and Kari Peterson's players. He also did very well with his own players. And I always loved talking to him. Pryor did the same thing, initially doing well with Hardee's players, and then with his own players. And I loved talking to him as well, very engaging. Say what you want about his Bronco, we did well with him at the helm. And it's hard to fault a guy for going where his family wants to be.

In fairness, Tiffin came in when the team was in need of rebuilding, but it's been a downhill slide since his arrival. I don't know that I've every had a actual conversation with him. I'm of zero importance to the program, and I definitely don't write big (meaning any) checks to the U, but it's strikes me as frustrating that the face of the program doesn't seem to the have presence in the community I would like to see. I could see Hardee or Pryor getting a recruit excited about playing at UND, I struggle to see that in the current situation. I would not say that about the assistants, but they are not the head coach (the bottom line).

It's fair to say that his overall record isn't entirely on him. The social media issue didn't help, but a lot of players with experience who would have had considerable court time choose not to finish playing here, whether they switched schools or just quit playing. That happens for a lot of reasons, but mostly with the first and second year players, much less so with the upper class players. Not much was said in the past, but there is/was a trend that wasn't positive, and I wonder if it was a precursor to the recent events, whatever they were.

A head coach from one of the good NSIC schools (SCSU, Winona St., SW Minn. St.), a protégé of Starkey's from CSP, or an assistant from a regional Big Ten school (Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Nebraska, all of which are national powerhouses) would all be good directions to pursue, IMO.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...