SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-2022 Season

SWSiouxMN

1 hour ago, ZDosch said:

Guys I'm not here to make excuses for anybody but what coach Sather has endured is completely unprecented. He took over a roster that had major issues and immediately went into essentially a 2 year period where he could do very little recruiting due to the pandemic. His 4 freshmen will all be really good players and Treyson will be a really good compliment to those 4 players. He had 4 transfers that should be playing on this team - 2 made terrible decisions, one didn't want to transfer but ran into an academic issue, and one was basically kicked off the team for being poison. Nero starts playing well and he goes down with an injury. 

This program needs consistency and it needs a program builder. It might end up being a youth movement this year but significant progress is being made this year - the foundation for the program is being built. Of course everybody wants it to happen in one year but that's unlikely. My guess is they get more aggressive with the roster and free up another scholarship or two because some of the players on the current team aren't pulling their weight and UND basketball isn't a charity. 

Will the 4 freshman be here next here 

Zac you say und had major issues i would like to elaborate on that. Yes jones roster had issues but most mid major programs have weaknesses in their roster's but it did have some very good players on the team Sather inherited Rebracha, Stewart, Walter, and Brown. DAE as i remember was going to leave and Sather convinced in him staying and he did have good first year. Moody other player with some talent just didn't mesh or fit in what Sather was doing and that happens. I agree with you it has been hard recruiting to rebuild team. But the first year he was here the recruits of that year I contend are part of the reason we are at where we are. Danielson, Ramsey, and Urbonavcius  of this class we only have Danielson good kid works hard plays defense and can rebound at times but has almost nothing from offense can be expected. This leaves us when we are on the floor with four against five trying to score. Also we could have used even just average big man with experience from this class but it has turned out these scholarship went to number young players. This may be best move in long term to get this team turned around but it sure doesn't help sell the program to the fans. I looked at your tv shots of the crowd and then came to student section it was empty and crowd was made up people like me older die hard fans. This is the change i have seen younger generation if doesn't happen now they loose all interest.  Also it didn't help yesterday that Eastern Washington retooled with number of transfers and seemed to have pretty good team on floor that was long athletic. I was thinking what we couldn't have done with one more big man like they had brought in where we could match up against these taller teams. That has been my only criticism on Sather recruiting i thought he needed to bring in experienced big man that had played division i basketball for this year and that scholarship could have been available again next year.  I just think we're going to see teams play us with bigs as much as possible because we're going have hard time to match up with them.  Second we really don't have a star or go to player when we need scoring and that will only come from these young players and that will be likely Bruns but very difficult for freshman.  Treyson looks to be very good player but like all recruits see how he develops as player. I think Sather is very good coach but like you say he has had difficult time to recruit in. Second i think he also had learning curve on players needed to play at this level but i see improvement in that area too. The problem is were going to suffer through very poor season and maybe another one until this group matures. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/8/2021 at 10:26 PM, gfhockey said:

How many years we give him? Should be year 3 of his recurits

whats jones record in year 3 d-1

i gave jones slack too.....from d2 to gwc to bigy sky and summit....it never ended with him....wonder what would've happened had he didn't have to deal with all that crap.

6 hours ago, ND-fan said:

Zac you say und had major issues i would like to elaborate on that. Yes jones roster had issues but most mid major programs have weaknesses in their roster's but it did have some very good players on the team Sather inherited Rebracha, Stewart, Walter, and Brown. DAE as i remember was going to leave and Sather convinced in him staying and he did have good first year. Moody other player with some talent just didn't mesh or fit in what Sather was doing and that happens. I agree with you it has been hard recruiting to rebuild team. But the first year he was here the recruits of that year I contend are part of the reason we are at where we are. Danielson, Ramsey, and Urbonavcius  of this class we only have Danielson good kid works hard plays defense and can rebound at times but has almost nothing from offense can be expected. This leaves us when we are on the floor with four against five trying to score. Also we could have used even just average big man with experience from this class but it has turned out these scholarship went to number young players. This may be best move in long term to get this team turned around but it sure doesn't help sell the program to the fans. I looked at your tv shots of the crowd and then came to student section it was empty and crowd was made up people like me older die hard fans. This is the change i have seen younger generation if doesn't happen now they loose all interest.  Also it didn't help yesterday that Eastern Washington retooled with number of transfers and seemed to have pretty good team on floor that was long athletic. I was thinking what we couldn't have done with one more big man like they had brought in where we could match up against these taller teams. That has been my only criticism on Sather recruiting i thought he needed to bring in experienced big man that had played division i basketball for this year and that scholarship could have been available again next year.  I just think we're going to see teams play us with bigs as much as possible because we're going have hard time to match up with them.  Second we really don't have a star or go to player when we need scoring and that will only come from these young players and that will be likely Bruns but very difficult for freshman.  Treyson looks to be very good player but like all recruits see how he develops as player. I think Sather is very good coach but like you say he has had difficult time to recruit in. Second i think he also had learning curve on players needed to play at this level but i see improvement in that area too. The problem is were going to suffer through very poor season and maybe another one until this group matures. 

Who's Treyson?

Zac i guess i still disagree with you on our guard play because i think why we have regression at guard play is that we don't have player like Rebraca in the middle and yes the players haven't progressed but i never thought they were high quality guards but they filled roll last year when they had Rebraca.  But when you had player like Rebraca in the middle that could score and create his own shot it just opened up outside for guards like Panoam and Igbanugo who are left open can hit that outside shot. Thats the difference this year that little extra time has effect on our shooting percentage. Also last year we had Nero and Ihenaco both guards that can create opening for  themselves scoring and played better defense so they could just rotate those other two in situations where they could be real factor. Now this year we don't have inside presence and teams are exploiting this weakness. If you go back to Montana game we shot the ball well and Howard had career game both shooting from outside and inside and Tsartsidze had effective game inside and one of few games we were close to other team in points in the paint. The last three games we have been out scored in paint and also shot ball poorly especially when the game counted and after they had the game in hand they played deeper in their benches so some statistics get skewed then in overall game. I guess i think Sather was taking a big gamble on four year players progressing to next level because usually what you have in player is pretty much set after playing four years of college ball. But getting back to front court we basically have Tsartsidze sophomore and the two freshman because Sueker has size but he is more outside forward/guard than inside player. That leaves little experience at frontline position and none of them had played division i basketball. I think Sather may find something before years over that might work because he is as good as any I have seen getting best out of players. That's my hope he may pull upset or two in conference tourney. Also that other freshman guard i have to believe he had to be in there plans of replacing Ihenaco.  I just think this rebuild now will take several years because it takes times for players learn to win and develop as team.

On 12/13/2021 at 5:04 PM, ZDosch said:

Fair points and I don't think we really disagree. Certainly a post player like Rebraca or a strong PG that can really create offense is what's missing for this offense especially since Nero went down. UND needs players who really aren't creators to be creators and the fact that everybody is uncomfortable is showing up in their shooting percentage. I think Seuker should get more touches on the block - they can't get him too many touches because he's really the only comfortable player on the floor right now so the offense might as well be ran through him. 

I think Sather is going to have some decisions to make on players with eligibility left but aren't producing like he needs them to produce. It's an awkward situation for UND basketball isn't a charity. 

I agree, it wouldn't surprise me if Reid Grant eventually starts because this offense really needs direction and he's the only guard that thinks like a point guard especially now that Nero is out. We could see 3 true freshman starting and the great thing about these freshmen is they are very self aware and they understand their roles well - they don't try to do to much and they stick to their role. I'm very curious to see where they are at the end of the year because this exactly how you build a program. 

I wouldn't mind seeing this. We all know this is going to be a down year so why not get some experience for these guys for the future. And If they are better than the upper class than they should be playing anyways.

1 hour ago, coachdags said:

Sorry if this has been discussed, I have not seen it.

Can anyone explain to me who is responsible for the MBB and WBB conference schedule? Is it the Summit league, or the Institutions themselves?

When looking I see that we have Home Women's game Wednesday vs NDSU, and Men's away game vs NDSU in Fargo same day, same time.

This continues through out most of the conference games for Summit Schools.

My observation is you are penalizing the fans base that are Basketball Fans, you need to choose Men or Women. How can I watch the Men's game on Midco or roadtrip, if I'm sitting at the Women's game at the Betty?  We use to have doubleheaders? This poor scheduling seems to be league wide. Just wondering if anyone knows why?

I know there are options, I can record, watch or follow on my hand held phone ect... but just seems to be not a good way to boost attendance or fan support.

Another case in point on scheduling, we schedule our biggest rival of the year during Christmas break? No Band, No Cheer Team, No Students? Great thinking by Summit, UND or whoever is in charge. Do not understand.

1 hour ago, coachdags said:

Sorry if this has been discussed, I have not seen it.

Can anyone explain to me who is responsible for the MBB and WBB conference schedule? Is it the Summit league, or the Institutions themselves?

When looking I see that we have Home Women's game Wednesday vs NDSU, and Men's away game vs NDSU in Fargo same day, same time.

This continues through out most of the conference games for Summit Schools.

My observation is you are penalizing the fans base that are Basketball Fans, you need to choose Men or Women. How can I watch the Men's game on Midco or roadtrip, if I'm sitting at the Women's game at the Betty?  We use to have doubleheaders? This poor scheduling seems to be league wide. Just wondering if anyone knows why?

I know there are options, I can record, watch or follow on my hand held phone ect... but just seems to be not a good way to boost attendance or fan support.

The Summit League makes the schedule.  This setup is called Mirror Scheduling where the M & W play the same opponent every night, one at home while the other is away. This is the way it was done during our time in the Big Sky as well.  You probably didn't notice it the last two years of Summit play because with the odd number of teams the schedule got wonky at times.  The mirror schedule ensures that each school has a home game every week during league play.

3 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

The Summit League makes the schedule.  This setup is called Mirror Scheduling where the M & W play the same opponent every night, one at home while the other is away. This is the way it was done during our time in the Big Sky as well.  You probably didn't notice it the last two years of Summit play because with the odd number of teams the schedule got wonky at times.  The mirror schedule ensures that each school has a home game every week during league play.

I feel like there should be exceptions made when two teams are close to each other. Make it a doubleheader at the same place maybe?

5 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

IMO, Not a great way to help expand your fan base, I checked, Northern Sun, Big East, MVC, they do not. Is this mirror scheduling popular? To me it is not good.

Mirror scheduling just seems lazy.  The schedule makers only have to figure out one schedule, really, then they just make it the opposite.  Can't they just mix up the teams?  What's the difference really?  Double headers make a lot of sense to me as well.  When UND has home bison games, I'm sure many people will just sit at home and watch both games on tv, so they don't miss anything, right?  At least with double headers travel costs and logistical planning could be greatly reduced, plus the bonding between the Mens and Womens teams while traveling could be good for moral during long bus trips.