SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-2022 Season

SWSiouxMN

It has been and likely will continue to be a rough season.  Having Rebraca sure would have helped.  He has started all 17 games for Iowa and has played the 4th most minutes on the team.  He is averaging only 6 ppg but they have 2-3 really good scorers so that isn't too much of a surprise.  He averages 6+ rebounds (2nd on team).  Still shooting very good from the field (58%) and still having problems from the line (52%).

1 minute ago, sioux24/7 said:

Could he be going for a medical redshirt?

I thought about that idea over the weekend.  It is certainly possible that this is on the table.  However, UND has to play at least one of the games that have been postponed due to COVID.  If they don't, he would be under the 30% needed to get it.  

A COVID year and a medical redshirt?  I wouldn't be against it.  I though Nero was starting to put all together before he got hurt.  

1 minute ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I thought about that idea over the weekend.  It is certainly possible that this is on the table.  However, UND has to play at least one of the games that have been postponed due to COVID.  If they don't, he would be under the 30% needed to get it.  

A COVID year and a medical redshirt?  I wouldn't be against it.  I though Nero was starting to put all together before he got hurt.  

Yeah really got the idea from Zach on the latest reaching the summit pod. 

20 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

It has been and likely will continue to be a rough season.  Having Rebraca sure would have helped.  He has started all 17 games for Iowa and has played the 4th most minutes on the team.  He is averaging only 6 ppg but they have 2-3 really good scorers so that isn't too much of a surprise.  He averages 6+ rebounds (2nd on team).  Still shooting very good from the field (58%) and still having problems from the line (52%).

It just sucks that he had to leave due to a technicality.  

8 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So there hasn’t been a plan to makeup the UST game yet?

• 3 weeks later...

2 Weeks to go in the season, and the team has one goal.  Make the Summit League Tournament.  St Thomas is not eligible this year and they are only having 8 teams, which means one team (in addition to St Thomas) Last nights win was one step closer. Current conference standings for the 7-9 seeds (excluding the Tommies):

7.  Denver     5-9

8.  Omaha     3-11

9.  UND     2-11

It really will come down to us and Omaha.  Omaha has 4 games left (#1 SDSU, #7 Denver, #6 W Illinois, #9 St Thomas)  UND has 5 games left (#6 W. Illinois, #4 KC, #2 Oral Roberts, #9 St Thomas, #3 NDSU)

We may have an extra game, but the path to the 8 seed is much tougher for UND than Omaha.  Need to play the best basketball when it counts, which is now.  8 seeds have won in the Summit League tournament.  In March, anything can happen.  At the very least, I want our team to at the very least win the games we are supposed to (St Thomas) and be competitive in the rest of them.  And of course it would be great to knock off the Bison the last game of the year and maybe prevent them from getting the 2 seed!!

31 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

2 Weeks to go in the season, and the team has one goal.  Make the Summit League Tournament.  St Thomas is not eligible this year and they are only having 8 teams, which means one team (in addition to St Thomas) Last nights win was one step closer. Current conference standings for the 7-9 seeds (excluding the Tommies):

7.  Denver     5-9

8.  Omaha     3-11

9.  UND     2-11

It really will come down to us and Omaha.  Omaha has 4 games left (#1 SDSU, #7 Denver, #6 W Illinois, #9 St Thomas)  UND has 5 games left (#6 W. Illinois, #4 KC, #2 Oral Roberts, #9 St Thomas, #3 NDSU)

We may have an extra game, but the path to the 8 seed is much tougher for UND than Omaha.  Need to play the best basketball when it counts, which is now.  8 seeds have won in the Summit League tournament.  In March, anything can happen.  At the very least, I want our team to at the very least win the games we are supposed to (St Thomas) and be competitive in the rest of them.  And of course it would be great to knock off the Bison the last game of the year and maybe prevent them from getting the 2 seed!!

Tougher yes, but the good news it that 4 of those games are at home.  Omaha only has one home game left.  

They can win the game in Western if they continue their solid play.  If they can get that and the St. Thomas game at home, then they should only need to win 1 of 3 against KC, ORU, and NDSU to really feel safe. 

3 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Tougher yes, but the good news it that 4 of those games are at home.  Omaha only has one home game left.  

They can win the game in Western if they continue their solid play.  If they can get that and the St. Thomas game at home, then they should only need to win 1 of 3 against KC, ORU, and NDSU to really feel safe. 

Agreed.  Being at home will be a great boost.  NDSU has looked very beatable.  Could have easily lost their last 3 games. 

I will say this begrudgingly about NDSU, is that their style of play lends itself to close games and close scores but at the end of the day, they rarely lose those games because they know that’s exactly their formula to winning. It’s been frustratingly effective.   For some reason we seem to have fairly decent idea of how to play with ORU. No idea why.  I’m going to be an outlier an circle that one.  The team has a chance in what has been a miserable year for the most part, so I’ll take the fact that we have at least a chance.

Summit League conference tournament has been madness lately.  The 4 seed has won the tournament 3 of the past 5 years.  In 2017, the 7 seed won a game.  In 2019, the 8 seed won a game.  And we all remember 2020 with UND making its run to the title game as the 6 seed.  Just make the tournament and see what happens.   They don't call it March Madness for nothing!

49 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Summit League conference tournament has been madness lately.  The 4 seed has won the tournament 3 of the past 5 years.  In 2017, the 7 seed won a game.  In 2019, the 8 seed won a game.  And we all remember 2020 with UND making its run to the title game as the 6 seed.  Just make the tournament and see what happens.   They don't call it March Madness for nothing!

I mean, we ARE peaking at the right time... if UND makes it to the tourney, we will have one quite a few games and could legitimately upset a team or two... IF we are good enough to continue our "run" and make the tournament.  Someone mentioned that Levias has been dressed for at least one game recently, is there a chance he gets healthy enough to play?  I believe he can play in up to 4 games an maintain his redshirt.

Now wouldn’t that be something. Manage to get to into the tournament and then win a game or three.

Is it a successful season if we make the tournament?

I say yes only because expectations were lowered as we lost game after game. At this point I would take it.

bigger picture is to enjoy the season by winning and not get into the current situation-dah

• Like 1

I

21 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I mean, we ARE peaking at the right time... if UND makes it to the tourney, we will have one quite a few games and could legitimately upset a team or two... IF we are good enough to continue our "run" and make the tournament.  Someone mentioned that Levias has been dressed for at least one game recently, is there a chance he gets healthy enough to play?  I believe he can play in up to 4 games an maintain his redshirt.

I’m not sure that the 4 games applies like it does for college football.  I think they studied it.  Did it pass?

Levias has dressed & warmed up a lot this year.  Including at NDSU.  It they thought he could go I think he would seen game action already.  Plus we’ve had all sorts of players trying to acclimate themselves to Division 1 and Summit play this year, I’m not sure that Levias playing in the remaining games does just that much for the team or for him.  Just hoping he gets healthy, & let’s see what he brings next season