SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-2022 Season

SWSiouxMN

4 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Mirror scheduling just seems lazy.  The schedule makers only have to figure out one schedule, really, then they just make it the opposite.  Can't they just mix up the teams?  What's the difference really?  Double headers make a lot of sense to me as well.  When UND has home bison games, I'm sure many people will just sit at home and watch both games on tv, so they don't miss anything, right?  At least with double headers travel costs and logistical planning could be greatly reduced, plus the bonding between the Mens and Womens teams while traveling could be good for moral during long bus trips.

How are travel costs reduced for doubleheaders? I’m not sure I understand how that would be?  The teams still wouldn’t share a bus- they would still need an airline ticket for each individual for trips that require flights.  The hotel room(s) needs don’t change if the teams are playing Double Headers. Team Meals remain the same responsibility for each.  Maybe I’m missing something. Arena staff still have to work x hours?  I guess I don’t follow here, but I maybe missing something when considering it.

My family and I go to a lot of basketball and we absolutely loathe double headers.  I didn’t enjoy them when my kids were kids, and my kids certainly don’t enjoy them now that they have kids. Way way too long being at an arena.  So glad they are gone.  Loved the scheduling in the Big Sky.  Glad we can plan for home games every week- men or women.

Considering how hard it was for REA to find employees this year, did you hear and see how much advertising they used in recruitment this year and how long they had to run those campaigns.  I’m sure they feel fortunate they can get people to to commit to a 3 hour window as opposed to a near 8 hour window for a doubleheader.

In conversations with the various staffs over the years-the mens programs have indicated they don’t like having only 30 minutes to warm up for their games after a womens game and the wbb staffs have said they dislike Saturday afternoon doubleheaders because they shoot around times to prepare and walk thru- start as early 6am (if you choose to take it). If you’re the visitor.  

I’m certain the Summit with  UND-NDSU & USD-SDSU, in future years could allow for some flexiblity.  That wouldn’t surprise me.  But it’s only those 4 schools within the league that have significant rivalry games.  I could be mistaken but, ORU & UMKC aren’t chomping at the bit whether there is doublheader, mirrored scheduling- games at the same time whatever.  All these other schools are concerned with, can we get staff, ushers, table crew, security etc… Is it easier for them one way or the other? I honestly don’t know.  I’d be curious to learn.  Our unique rivalry issues- (its unique to us  as opposed to all other schools )except the 4 mentioned above) as it doesnt really matter to the others within the Summit.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, the green team said:

How are travel costs reduced for doubleheaders? I’m not sure I understand how that would be?  The teams still wouldn’t share a bus- they would still need an airline ticket for each individual for trips that require flights.  The hotel room(s) needs don’t change if the teams are playing Double Headers. Team Meals remain the same responsibility for each.  Maybe I’m missing something. Arena staff still have to work x hours?  I guess I don’t follow here, but I maybe missing something when considering it.

My family and I go to a lot of basketball and we absolutely loathe double headers.  I didn’t enjoy them when my kids were kids, and my kids certainly don’t enjoy them now that they have kids. Way way too long being at an arena.  So glad they are gone.  Loved the scheduling in the Big Sky.  Glad we can plan for home games every week- men or women.

Considering how hard it was for REA to find employees this year, did you hear and see how much advertising they used in recruitment this year and how long they had to run those campaigns.  I’m sure they feel fortunate they can get people to to commit to a 3 hour window as opposed to a near 8 hour window for a doubleheader.

In conversations with the various staffs over the years-the mens programs have indicated they don’t like having only 30 minutes to warm up for their games after a womens game and the wbb staffs have said they dislike Saturday afternoon doubleheaders because they shoot around times to prepare and walk thru- start as early 6am (if you choose to take it). If you’re the visitor.  

I’m certain the Summit with  UND-NDSU & USD-SDSU, in future years could allow for some flexiblity.  That wouldn’t surprise me.  But it’s only those 4 schools within the league that have significant rivalry games.  I could be mistaken but, ORU & UMKC aren’t chomping at the bit whether there is doublheader, mirrored scheduling- games at the same time whatever.  All these other schools are concerned with, can we get staff, ushers, table crew, security etc… Is it easier for them one way or the other? I honestly don’t know.  I’d be curious to learn.  Our unique rivalry issues- (its unique to us  as opposed to all other schools )except the 4 mentioned above) as it doesnt really matter to the others within the Summit.

I too would be against double headers, i do not believe that is the answer.

I agree that Mirror Scheduling seems lazy, an easy way out. As a Basketball Fan, I enjoy watching or supporting both programs, Rivals or not.  The Mirror schedule makes this really difficult when they will always play the same nights, same times, different locations. 

UND wants to build it's programs back to where they were 20 years ago in the D2 era, they need to find a way to promote, advertise and attract fans not cut your fan base in half. I currently see very little Student promotions going on?

The scheduling of our main rival during Xmas break is also very poor. No Band, No Cher Team, No Students? If we want to act like we are D1, then do it. Can you imagine UNC vs Duke with none of those (Band, Cheer, Students) it would never happen. 

I  now know this is the Summit Force Fed situation, but to grow our programs, we need to try and change. We need better.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, coachdags said:

I too would be against double headers, i do not believe that is the answer.

I agree that Mirror Scheduling seems lazy, an easy way out. As a Basketball Fan, I enjoy watching or supporting both programs, Rivals or not.  The Mirror schedule makes this really difficult when they will always play the same nights, same times, different locations. 

UND wants to build it's programs back to where they were 20 years ago in the D2 era, they need to find a way to promote, advertise and attract fans not cut your fan base in half. I currently see very little Student promotions going on?

The scheduling of our main rival during Xmas break is also very poor. No Band, No Cher Team, No Students? If we want to act like we are D1, then do it. Can you imagine UNC vs Duke with none of those (Band, Cheer, Students) it would never happen. 

I  now know this is the Summit Force Fed situation, but to grow our programs, we need to try and change. We need better.

I don’t disagree that the schedule layout is poor and that there needs to be more promotions / fans in the seats.

Unfortunately the only real way to start getting more fans/students in the building is to stop putting a terrible product on the floor. Which this staff hasn’t proved that they can.

There isn’t a good excuse for having zero 3 point shooting now in year 3(or ever). It’s the most widely available skill that kids/recruits have in this day and age.

18 hours ago, F'n Hawks said:

I feel like there should be exceptions made when two teams are close to each other. Make it a doubleheader at the same place maybe?

I agree that an exception could be made when two travel partners are playing one another.  I wouldn't be in favor of a doubleheader (those are brutal if you ask me).  But since the normal schedule dictates Thursday/Saturday games, why not have the women play on Thursday and the men on Saturday or vice versa?

I realize Christmas falls this Saturday, I'm just talking in general.  Could be Tuesday/Thursday this week for example.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

I agree that an exception could be made when two travel partners are playing one another.  I wouldn't be in favor of a doubleheader (those are brutal if you ask me).  But since the normal schedule dictates Thursday/Saturday games, why not have the women play on Thursday and the men on Saturday or vice versa?

I realize Christmas falls this Saturday, I'm just talking in general.  Could be Tuesday/Thursday this week for example.

I completely agree with this take.  And i would completely understand a DH for rivalry week.  I would be more than fine with that.

Alright, the second half of the season has begun. UND competed tough with a talented NDSU squad but I don’t think anyone wants moral victories. What is everyone’s expectations for the second half? What would be a realistic successful conference season look like for you? 

The biggest thing I will be looking for is the development of the freshman, mainly the ones outside of Bruns because he has already shown what he’s capable of and I would say is clearly our best player. I anticipate Grant taking more and more minutes from Bentiu but need to see him gain confidence in his scoring ability, it’s in there. Matthews is already nice size and has a bit of defensive presence but would like to see more on both ends. I am really interested to see Levias play. He was extremely efficient at the JUCO level and was available for the NDSU game from my understanding. 

Let’s also continue to see the increased scoring from T and Norman. They’ve taken some steps forward lately. Overall, I am cautiously optimistic for conference play. 

13 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Alright, the second half of the season has begun. UND competed tough with a talented NDSU squad but I don’t think anyone wants moral victories. What is everyone’s expectations for the second half? What would be a realistic successful conference season look like for you? 

The biggest thing I will be looking for is the development of the freshman, mainly the ones outside of Bruns because he has already shown what he’s capable of and I would say is clearly our best player. I anticipate Grant taking more and more minutes from Bentiu but need to see him gain confidence in his scoring ability, it’s in there. Matthews is already nice size and has a bit of defensive presence but would like to see more on both ends. I am really interested to see Levias play. He was extremely efficient at the JUCO level and was available for the NDSU game from my understanding. 

Let’s also continue to see the increased scoring from T and Norman. They’ve taken some steps forward lately. Overall, I am cautiously optimistic for conference play. 

I agree with this but want to add the following:

Getting Nero and Sueker healthy and back to producing at a high level.   

I not only want to see T scoring at a high level but playing the post at a high level on both ends.  Keep grabbing rebounds at playing great defense. 

I hope the Levias news is true and that he can play during the USD/SDSU weekend.  I think they can beat USD at home, they will have to play very well to beat the Bunnies

2 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

I fear this season is lost.  In my eyes, finishing in the top half of the standings would be a remarkable turnaround.  

I'm not ready to go there yet...  I saw some things against NDSU that made me think:  Okay, there are some steps in the right direction again. 

Get healthy (I would love to at least get Nero back on Thursday, but don't know if that is plausible) and keep the good play from Bruns, T, and Norman going.  

2 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I'm not ready to go there yet...  I saw some things against NDSU that made me think:  Okay, there are some steps in the right direction again. 

Get healthy (I would love to at least get Nero back on Thursday, but don't know if that is plausible) and keep the good play from Bruns, T, and Norman going.  

agreed...but suecker back in there and we got some pieces...conferene play just started....even if we have a bad year but bruns gets more minutes and touches bc of it that will bode well for next year when we get trey.....

Good lord, just end this madness of testing everyone.  Within the last few weeks nearly every hockey and BB player at RR High School has been sick and out for a few days/games.  Guess what,  not one player was tested for Covid .  Did any of them have it, who knows maybe or maybe not.  Everyone survived and are healthy and playing once again.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, ND1 said:

Good lord, just end this madness of testing everyone.  Within the last few weeks nearly every hockey and BB player at RR High School has been sick and out for a few days/games.  Guess what,  not one player was tested for Covid .  Did any of them have it, who knows maybe or maybe not.  Everyone survived and are healthy and playing once again.  

lunatic