SiouxSports.com Forum

SIU Predictions

GoHawks

Wow

I think we should be decent this year. We can admit now that the valley is a tough league. 

I look forward to a better UND team with being solid at almost all positions.   As with everyone, the question is will our inexperienced qbs be successful.

As far as our competition it is hard to know

makes for an interesting and fun spring 

Is it Saturday yet?!?! Clearly I'm excited to watch some football because I'm getting distracted from work.

Ultimately we all want a W, but I would love to see more of a statement game. Not a blowout, but a game we we can win TOP and turnovers, and just look the part. Surprise some people and show that we have some dangerous tools, not be a questionable team that got lucky. Winning by two scores would be ideal here, and maybe that is very doable. 

Should be good: Pass D, O-Line, Linebackers, Wide Receivers

- Secondary should not be a concern, plenty of skill and leadership here, so long as they don't have to step up too much to help with run coverage.

- O-Line finally appears to be a big, strong, seasoned group. Keep building depth here Bubba! When it was first announced we were moving into the MVFC this was a big area of concern, but the staff has done a nice job of improving the OL.

-Linebackers barely makes this more me. Noah Larson is a stud, Ray Haas is experience and has the great size, and Turner is lights out. Krzanowski is a question mark, purely because we haven't seen him. My question here comes down to depth, I just don't know much about some of our back ups. Sounds like Urweiler could step in nicely and get some great experience. These guys could be called upon a ton, depending on how our DL play.

-WR is a fun group. Maag is a stud, and not just because of his size. The guy has skill and appears to have the work ethic and mentality needed as a leader. I'm really excited to see what Jake Richter brings to the table. Hoping to see guys like Preston and Belquist get some opportunities as well. These guys need to help the QB out early and make some plays.

Question Marks: QB, RB, DL

- Are the QBs boom or bust? Do the coaches make quick enough decisions to rotate guys if they aren't playing well? Several factors here. I'm 100% behind Schuster if the coaches think he is the guy. BUT if he gets out to a slow start, the coaches need to be prepared to give Vaughn a look as well. Game time play is just different than practice. Regardless, its nice to have some depth and potential at this position. These guys should get bailed out a bit by their WRs, and for the love of god, could we please use our TEs more this year?

- There seems to be talent in the RB group, but its unproven. Gee has the experience, but I'm looking to guys like Skokna and Weah to be impact players. Skokna needs to get some pass catching opportunities in space. I'd also like to see Mitchell get to use some of that speed we are hearing about. Behind what should be a good O-Line, these guys need to step up big time.

- Mason Bennet will be missed, but there is still some experience on the line, I just wish some of these guys had added a little more size. It would be nice to see more Morrison and Johnson playing with another 15-20 lbs; though maybe Johnson has enough speed on the end. I'm looking for a big year out of Devore. Hoping to see Orlando get some reps to, though not on the 2 deep yet.

Concerns: Special Teams

- ST will continue to be a concern for me until proven otherwise. Kicking is the first issue. We need to make our PATs and we should not have to cringe every time we line up for a 30 yard FG. Could we please please please get some touchbacks this year? And I really hope Kostich has done something to improve kick coverage. I would hate to see us lose a game, or even get into a close game because of blown kick coverage.

• Upvote 1

The below clip from one of Miller's articles is all you need to know about why Freund is head and shoulders a better coordinator than Rudolph. Rudy just never understood this concept.

Freund's offense has been more pass-friendly, although he stresses it's a scheme that morphs to the strengths of the roster.

"Every year, your team and roster changes and personnel factors go into the design of your offense," Freund said.

• Upvote 2