SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 ND High School Hockey

20 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

ND to go to 75% capacity for indoor athletics as of Monday based on current state risk level. No more vouchers needed. Good for the common fan who wants to take in some ND HS hockey.....or BB.

Grand Forks will be at 50% capacity for hockey starting tomorrow. That means at least 1300 at Purpur so come out and watch some good hockey!

Just thinking out loud, but why not host the consolation round at home sites as well for the state tournament?  I mean they are okay having teams travel all over the place on a Tuesday, why not host the Consolation first round on Thursday, and have the consolation championship game at the Ralph on Saturday morning, or the higher seed's home rink Saturday?  There is the "it doesn't matter its the consolation round" argument, but these teams have already lost enough games, why not let them play it out for at least one or two more games?  If it ended up being a Fargo school and Williston, the NDHSAA should rent some ice in Bismarck and call it good.    

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Just thinking out loud, but why not host the consolation round at home sites as well for the state tournament?  I mean they are okay having teams travel all over the place on a Tuesday, why not host the Consolation first round on Thursday, and have the consolation championship game at the Ralph on Saturday morning, or the higher seed's home rink Saturday?  There is the "it doesn't matter its the consolation round" argument, but these teams have already lost enough games, why not let them play it out for at least one or two more games?  If it ended up being a Fargo school and Williston, the NDHSAA should rent some ice in Bismarck and call it good.    

Spot on Wilbur 

Just today's facts:
- Under 1000 active cases in ND today
- Under 50 hospitalized in ND today 
Source: https://www.health.nd.gov/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/north-dakota-coronavirus-cases

More specifically, the K-12 numbers (statewide):
- 84 active student cases
- 3 active staff cases
https://www.health.nd.gov/k-12-school-dashboard 

Run it as a bubble (teams come in Wed and get insta-tested) if nothing else.

But going to 75% capacity says they could easily play at REA. Do boys and girls on separate weekends (for no locker room moves). 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Just today's facts:
- Under 1000 active cases in ND today
- Under 50 hospitalized in ND today 
Source: https://www.health.nd.gov/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/north-dakota-coronavirus-cases

More specifically, the K-12 numbers (statewide):
- 84 active student cases
- 3 active staff cases
https://www.health.nd.gov/k-12-school-dashboard 

Run it as a bubble (teams come in Wed and get insta-tested) if nothing else.

But going to 75% capacity says they could easily play at REA. Do boys and girls on separate weekends (for no locker room moves). 

Those numbers say the tournament could go back to normal.

How many total locker rooms are there at the REA outside of UND's?  

At least 6 for the main and four at the Olympic rink?

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Those numbers say the tournament could go back to normal.

How many total locker rooms are there at the REA outside of UND's?  

At least 6 for the main and four at the Olympic rink?

How many locker rooms does the Bismarck Civic Center have? Site of the Boys/Girls class A tournament.

44 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

How many locker rooms does the Bismarck Civic Center have? Site of the Boys/Girls class A tournament.

Saw that the girls and boys State A tournaments don't have consolation rounds, yet both the class B tournaments are three consecutive days at the same site with consolation rounds.

11 hours ago, Wilbur said:

EGF, after getting swept by the two high schools on the west side of the river, goes to Warroad and beats them 3-2 all the while outshooting them by 20.  Maybe the way to do it is just keep the other team away from your goalie.

Best defense is good offense (puck possession)? 

Some of those hockey analytics (Disciples of Corsi and Fenwick) guys should chirp in here. 

GFC puts up 8 goals in the first period against the Spoilers.  At some point I'm going to need an explanation of what is hurting Grafton hockey.  When I was reffing a few years back one of their coaches told me politics was to blame, another said it was the numbers.  Likely to not make the state tournament this year.  Made it one time in the last 8 years?

47 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

GFC puts up 8 goals in the first period against the Spoilers.  At some point I'm going to need an explanation of what is hurting Grafton hockey.  When I was reffing a few years back one of their coaches told me politics was to blame, another said it was the numbers.  Likely to not make the state tournament this year.  Made it one time in the last 8 years?

They are Top 10 hoops once again this year.  Maybe just a matter of the better athletes gravitating to that?   

1 hour ago, Shawn-O said:

They are Top 10 hoops once again this year.  Maybe just a matter of the better athletes gravitating to that?   

That could be.  I've always been amazed that a small community like Grafton could keep producing good hockey players and good teams throughout the years, and the surrounding communities of Park River, Minto, could throw in some good players as well.

Used to be you expected to see them playing on Friday night  in the semifinals every year, now unfortunately for them its a question of if they even make the tournament.  

• Upvote 1

Changing demographics. 

Here's one for you ... what's more likely in the next 10 years? 

(a) GPR makes state three times, or
(b) MayPort-C-G* al makes state once. 

*And if you can drive to all four of those towns without a map or GPS you might be a North Dakotan. ;) 

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Changing demographics. 

Here's one for you ... what's more likely in the next 10 years? 

(a) GPR makes state three times, or
(b) MayPort-C-G* al makes state once. 

*And if you can drive to all four of those towns without a map or GPS you might be a North Dakotan. ;) 

How I see the EDC qualifications going the next few years. 

1. RR.....Every year....

2. GFC.....Every year.....

3. Fargo Davies.....Pretty close to every year.  

4.  Toss up among the rest, with edge to the Fargo/West Fargo schools.

The AA bantam programs of Grand Forks and Fargo are just too good, and the programs that don't play AA bantam will have a hill to climb in high school.  I don't think Grafton will win another state championship.  

15 hours ago, Wilbur said:

How I see the EDC qualifications going the next few years. 

1. RR.....Every year....

2. GFC.....Every year.....

3. Fargo Davies.....Pretty close to every year.  

4.  Toss up among the rest, with edge to the Fargo/West Fargo schools.

The AA bantam programs of Grand Forks and Fargo are just too good, and the programs that don't play AA bantam will have a hill to climb in high school.  I don't think Grafton will win another state championship.  

The best state tournaments were when GPR was in the mix.