SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 ND High School Hockey

5 hours ago, iluvdebbies said:

The best state tournaments were when GPR was in the mix.

Loved going to state tournaments at the old REA and the entire South side of the rink would be maroon and gold.  Seemed like GPR was always the visiting team at those state tournaments. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Davies vs. Grafton on BEK, and 5 minutes in it isn't close.  

I would assume Grafton is going to be in a bind as Fargo grows. If Fargo grows, that's more kids playing hockey. 

Grafton has been shrinking since before most of us have been alive. I like seeing the smaller towns compete with the big boys in any sport. Maybe Grafton will get it sorted out.

3 hours ago, iluvdebbies said:

Nope....just AA and A.

Ill climb up on the soapbox again.

Has to happen.

Crazy how many people still resist the thinking here, but every year the proof just gets more and more compelling.

Some damn good competition in the the Bantam A league, and those teams would be mildly midpack to low if there wasnt a AA league.

It just has to progress to the high school level

16 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I would assume Grafton is going to be in a bind as Fargo grows. If Fargo grows, that's more kids playing hockey. 

Grafton has been shrinking since before most of us have been alive. I like seeing the smaller towns compete with the big boys in any sport. Maybe Grafton will get it sorted out.

Devils Lake's Bantam A and Bantam B teams are currently 14-0 and 8-3, respectively, with both teams in first place.  Hopefully, that will translate to the high school level, as their high school team has been down for 3 or 4 years.

7 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

Devils Lake's Bantam A and Bantam B teams are currently 14-0 and 8-3, respectively, with both teams in first place.  Hopefully, that will translate to the high school level, as their high school team has been down for 3 or 4 years.

And their peewee A team has one loss 

9 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

And some good athletes on that team, a few who maybe could or should be playing high school, that team competes with a few of the AA teams, but in reality will it translate to high school or is the lifeling goal nothing more than to maybe possibly crack a 4th seed at state....

Time will tell, teams like that are kind of the example, or bellweather to watch as to what could or should happen as to structure of ND high school hockey...

Some good teams and competition for sure.

8 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

And some good athletes on that team, a few who maybe could or should be playing high school, that team competes with a few of the AA teams, but in reality will it translate to high school or is the lifeling goal nothing more than to maybe possibly crack a 4th seed at state....

Time will tell, teams like that are kind of the example, or bellweather to watch as to what could or should happen as to structure of ND high school hockey...

Yes, hopefully it translates into more than just state tournament appearances.

If I'm the program coordinator at a place like Devils Lake, Grafton, Williston, etc. I've got my Bantam and Pee Wee A teams playing as many AA teams as possible.  Play in the A conference if you want, and that state tournament, but I'd schedule the AA teams in the state as much as they'd play me.

I see that Hazen doesn't have a Bantam A team.  For the best of the program, maybe?  But if you're going to keep throwing the kids out there with Minot-Century-BHS-Jamestown as 10-12th graders before they get to high school might be a good time to try and get them up to speed for what its going to look like up there.  

I coached for Wahpeton when they played ND, and our feeder teams all played B hockey.  They finished okay in their B1 and B2 state tournaments in the youth level, but when they got up to the EDC and the high school ranks???  Yeah.....go to the high school website archives and look at the scores.

I'm all for two classes in the high school ranks.  Would schools like Divide County, Langdon, and Watford City become high school sanctioned?  Good question.  At the same time it gives the opportunity for a school like Hazen to actually compete instead of going 0 for the season.  And maybe Wahpeton comes back to ND at the A level.    

3 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

You only need 4-5 solid kids per year to field a competitive team.  I’d be curious how Jamestown would do this year if they had the kid that jumped ship.  They’d have definitely won the West this year.

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

If I'm the program coordinator at a place like Devils Lake, Grafton, Williston, etc. I've got my Bantam and Pee Wee A teams playing as many AA teams as possible.  Play in the A conference if you want, and that state tournament, but I'd schedule the AA teams in the state as much as they'd play me.

I see that Hazen doesn't have a Bantam A team.  For the best of the program, maybe?  But if you're going to keep throwing the kids out there with Minot-Century-BHS-Jamestown as 10-12th graders before they get to high school might be a good time to try and get them up to speed for what its going to look like up there.  

I coached for Wahpeton when they played ND, and our feeder teams all played B hockey.  They finished okay in their B1 and B2 state tournaments in the youth level, but when they got up to the EDC and the high school ranks???  Yeah.....go to the high school website archives and look at the scores.

I'm all for two classes in the high school ranks.  Would schools like Divide County, Langdon, and Watford City become high school sanctioned?  Good question.  At the same time it gives the opportunity for a school like Hazen to actually compete instead of going 0 for the season.  And maybe Wahpeton comes back to ND at the A level.    

Agreed, but due to pride, arrogance, or whatever, its pretty difficult to get the higher divisions to schedule them.  The only other concern is the attrition through apathy aspect.

Tough to keep kids and parents wallets invested when getting housed all the time.

Few people see the long term benefit, unfortunately.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Last year my peewee A team here in Jamestown won the A state tourney. Played Minot and Fargo who were AA and split with them during the season. Told our scheduler to not schedule any AA teams this season. This year is a whole different story. We are 2-12 and only have 4 second year peewees on the team. Small towns like us can change from year to year real quick because of numbers 

1 hour ago, sioux rube said:

Last year my peewee A team here in Jamestown won the A state tourney. Played Minot and Fargo who were AA and split with them during the season. Told our scheduler to not schedule any AA teams this season. This year is a whole different story. We are 2-12 and only have 4 second year peewees on the team. Small towns like us can change from year to year real quick because of numbers 

And there is the other issue!  You try to keep the future in mind, but how many kids are going to quit if you're throwing them out there against the best 12 year olds in a town of 120,000 plus and getting killed?

We always said think of the long term impact, but like @Frozen4sioux said, money talks, gotta keep kids in the program to have a program in the long run.  

• Upvote 1

Anybody know the second tiebreaker in ND high school hockey?  I'm told that HB forfeited their second game to Williston, so if Williston beats Dickinson and Bismarck High loses to the Jays from Jamestown they'll both be at 28 points, and head to head they both won in OT when they played.  Minot and Century will also finish tied, and they split the regular season.  

Kind of a big deal this year as Tuesday is the start of the region tournament, and teams in the West are traveling to the higher seed for the first two rounds.  

18 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Anybody know the second tiebreaker in ND high school hockey?  I'm told that HB forfeited their second game to Williston, so if Williston beats Dickinson and Bismarck High loses to the Jays from Jamestown they'll both be at 28 points, and head to head they both won in OT when they played.  Minot and Century will also finish tied, and they split the regular season.  

Kind of a big deal this year as Tuesday is the start of the region tournament, and teams in the West are traveling to the higher seed for the first two rounds.  

Bob has it being played in bismarck

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Most goals scored head to head. Century and Bismarck High win the tiebreaker.

1. Most points earned in head-to-head competition (double points earned if teams only play once) If still tied,
  2. Most goals scored head-to-head competition (double goals scored if teams only play once) If still tied,
  3. Most regulation wins in region competition (double each regulation win if teams only play once) If still tied,
  4. Most points earned against the highest ranked team in the region (next team below if teams are tied for first place.  Double points earned if teams only play once) If still tied,
  5. Most points earned against the next highest ranked team in the region (double points earned if teams only play once) If still tied, continue down the standings until the tie can be broken.  If still tied,
  6. Greatest goal differential in all region games, with a maximum of a six goal differential per game (double each goal differential if teams only play once) If still tied,
  7. Coin flip by a NDHSAA representative