SiouxSports.com Forum

Memorial Stadium to be Demolished.

Hayduke1

32 minutes ago, Hayduke1 said:

https://www.kfyrtv.com/2020/07/02/unds-memorial-stadium-to-be-demolished/

Probably for the best, but it's too bad it couldnt be repurposed. Anyway, my memories are fond, if not freezing in late season games. 

Spent MORE than many years freezing in the post-season.   Great memories though - Mike Mooney #1 in my book.  Watched the goalposts come down and get marched on U avenue.  My favorite memory of Memorial.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

Just an iconic historic construction with lots of memories but no real modern purpose - tear it down but save some bricks.   I'll buy some!

Gotta think they are going to sell bricks as a fundraiser? Get Dave Osborn and others to sign them with a Sharpie. 

• Upvote 2

I remember in 1993 taking down the posts

just hammerd 

mcmenamys in morning then tailgating 

Whole town was a big party that night 

all the empty shooters in bathrooms 

schnapps in parking lot

not nearly as loud as alerus has gotten but just something about playing outside in September was nice and then in November seeing the Omaha boys freezing their tails off

• Like 1

We had an old building tore down,

used the old bricks and put the donors name on them and built a donors plaque and the owner got an identical brick

actually looked rather nice 

I'm a little confused on what will be there.  It says a bidding will take place.  Any ideas?  

Be nice to see an on campus football stadium..indoor...there.  That's probably a pipe dream. Any thoughts on what may be there?  

4 hours ago, Hayduke1 said:

I'm a little confused on what will be there.  It says a bidding will take place.  Any ideas?  

Be nice to see an on campus football stadium..indoor...there.  That's probably a pipe dream. Any thoughts on what may be there?  

The plan is apartment style student housing with commercial/restaurant space on the ground floor. 

18 hours ago, gfhockey said:

I remember in 1993 taking down the posts

just hammerd 

mcmenamys in morning then tailgating 

Whole town was a big party that night 

all the empty shooters in bathrooms 

schnapps in parking lot

Wait a second, was this 1993 or are we talking a run-of-the-mill Tuesday evening for you here?

• Upvote 3

On 7/2/2020 at 6:48 PM, Hayduke1 said:

I'll pitch in $20 to get the ball rolling on this...

I will even do this.  For every million dollars contributed to building this structure, I am willing to pitch on $1.00.  Hard US currency. 

07.jpg

I've always been a huge on campus stadium supporter.  I know I'm in the minority when it comes to wanting the team to play outdoors again, but I'd give my left lung to enjoy a game again sipping whiskey with my dad to stay warm when its 10 degrees outside. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

23 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

The plan is apartment style student housing with commercial/restaurant space on the ground floor. 

Do that with a connection with the bridge to nowhere and you have some attractive housing. Walking outside in winter would be eliminated from there to the Union. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...