SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Provost DiLorenzo to Retire June 1, 2020

fightingsioux4life

I just received this e-mail:

After more than seven years with the University of North Dakota, Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost Thomas DiLorenzo has shared with me his decision to retire as of June 1, 2020.

Provost DiLorenzo has served UND since May 2013. During his tenure, he has served four presidents and devoted great time and energy to advancing UND during difficult budgetary years, always guided by what is in the best interest of our students, faculty, staff and the institution. He worked tirelessly to advance the ONE UND Strategic Plan, and led initiatives to increase student retention and improve graduation rates. He also strengthened UND’s relationship with the City of Grand Forks and grew internships for students throughout the community. Graduate enrollment is at an all-time high as is the Honors Program and our research portfolio. UND is now ranked #4 nationally in Military Friendliness, largely due to Provost DiLorenzo’s service as the Champion of Goal #6 of the Strategic Plan.

Over the next several months, Provost DiLorenzo will work closely with me, incoming President Andrew Armacost and others across campus to assist with the leadership transition. 

Please join me in thanking Provost DiLorenzo for his service and wishing him all the best.

Joshua Wynne
Interim President
University of North Dakota

Any thoughts?

45 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't DiLorenzo start under Kelley?

I think I remember seeing complaints about him while Kelley was here - almost 100% sure.  Why does everyone hate the guy so much?  Don't really know anything about him, or the influence that he has on the school or decision making processes. 

4 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I think I remember seeing complaints about him while Kelley was here - almost 100% sure.  Why does everyone hate the guy so much?  Don't really know anything about him, or the influence that he has on the school or decision making processes. 

A lot of behind-the-scenes stuff, internal to people working here.

31 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Big part of the problem while Kelley was here and has been a lame duck since he left, besides playing host to big names that visit our campus. Also was a yes-man to Kennedy on a number of occasions. Questionable hire at best with the number of votes of no confidence, starting during his days at UAB. Common reports of hostile work environments and creating rugged relationships. Paul Lindseth, who is one of the nicest and most reputable leaders on campus, even had a tiff

Right there with @Kab and @SWSiouxMN. This is going to be very, very good for the new administration having TDL gone.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

A few of his greatest hits:

-Apart of a group of 4 that included Kelley, VP Student Affairs Reesor and VP of Finance Brekke that was given a vote of no confidence by student government over Tuition Models in the Spring of 2015.  

-The continued off and on battles with the Aviation Department during his tenue that included another vote of no confidence in the Fall of 2018 

-If you recall the survey that was done right around Kelley's announced retirement,  the only one that was rated lower that Kelley was DiLorenzo. 

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

He's pushed for a funding model within the university that rewards programs that bring in more revenue and have better student outcomes while reducing funding for programs that don't.  This upsets the liberal arts programs.  He's also pushed to make Aviation a part of the actual campus, rather than having their own separate student support services and other duplicated services.  This upset the Aviation fiefdom. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

He's pushed for a funding model within the university that rewards programs that bring in more revenue and have better student outcomes while reducing funding for programs that don't.  This upsets the liberal arts programs.  He's also pushed to make Aviation a part of the actual campus, rather than having their own separate student support services and other duplicated services.  This upset the Aviation fiefdom. 

Don’t you think, given the inordinate amount of foreign students they pull in via their relationship with various airlines, that it would make sense that they compartmentalize certain services to that program?

10 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Don’t you think, given the inordinate amount of foreign students they pull in via their relationship with various airlines, that it would make sense that they compartmentalize certain services to that program?

I think aviation should certainly receive a lot of attention, but engineering and other schools have foreign students too. 

5 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

So UND should become one big tech school? If it had been like that when I graduated from high school, I would have went to school someplace else (NOT NDSU however).

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 2/26/2020 at 6:27 PM, fightingsioux4life said:

So UND should become one big tech school? If it had been like that when I graduated from high school, I would have went to school someplace else (NOT NDSU however).

Nothing wrong with someone seeing opportunities to become more efficient with limited funding.  

• Upvote 1

On 3/4/2020 at 12:07 PM, SiouxSherm94 said:

Although I support the idea and like where your head's at, my guess would be.... there's no chance. Quite a big jump and well-deserved, at that.

I saw that he was a Provost at the school he is at currently.

You are probably right...… <sigh>

It was right there for Kennedy... could have send DiLorenzo packing and made him the provost.  <sigh>

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

One of the best and nicest bosses I ever had. Heartbroken.

Indeed he was a great boss. He was good to me and I really appreciated him and his support. He made a point to email me on his last day to thank me for assisting him so many times. The pleasure was all mine Provost. RIP Provost, My condolences to your family. 

• Upvote 3