SiouxSports.com Forum

UND President Andrew Armacost

NoiseInsideMyHead

From what I understand....

• The committee made a concerted effort to find someone with ND ties but, for some reason, there were no legitimate candidates.
  • Armacost came across very well - genuine, personable, more than capable, etc.  He was not the best of an average group of finalists - he, and his credentials, were very impressive.
  • Importantly, for those of us on this site, he is quite pro-athletics.
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, UND Fan said:

From what I understand....

• The committee made a concerted effort to find someone with ND ties but, for some reason, there were no legitimate candidates.
  • Armacost came across very well - genuine, personable, more than capable, etc.  He was not the best of an average group of finalists - he, and his credentials, were very impressive.
  • Importantly, for those of us on this site, he is quite pro-athletics.

This is great news. We absolutely have to have someone at the top who understands what a great marketing tool athletics is, especially in this social media era.

Well to me no huge red flags are present or reasons to be outraged by the selection in any way, so here's to giving the guy a shot and hoping he has a good long and successful tenure.

Lots of difficult issues ahead in higher education but i think now is a great time to be coming into the position.

Welcome and good luck!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Well to me no huge red flags are present or reasons to be outraged by the selection in any way, so here's to giving the guy a shot and hoping he has a good long and successful tenure.

True.  Only red flag was this:

https://www.csindy.com/TheWire/archives/2018/08/17/air-force-academy-dean-of-faculty-announces-retirement-amid-exodus-of-stem-professors 

38 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

The takeaway from that may be the massive budget cuts that he dealt with...  

I'd like to hope we are beyond that in ND ..... but i know that is not going to be the case in the next decade.

Hopefully he can use his experiences to better handle those situations as they arise.

And really after the last few presidents its not going to be tough to lool good in comparison, and ..... the further removed we are from the last well liked president, the better to not be living in the shadow.

On 12/5/2019 at 7:49 AM, UNDBIZ said:

Seeing what's been posted about Andy on the President Kennedy community thread makes me happy that this chain separately exists. This article was the local CSprings publication announcing his retirement, making mention that it happened after a "mass exodus" of STEM faculty, NOT as a result. It isn't even worth speculation that this is a red flag. Considering today's digital age, the only way that I, personally, would consider a "red flag" on this topic is if more was furnished speaking to his elaborate and direct involvement/influence over the faculty's departure. It is unfair to Dr. Armacost if we draw conclusions with little to no information backing them.

He is esteemed, accomplished academically and professionally, and well-regarded amongst his former colleagues, and this is all joined by proven leadership capability in Higher Education. As @UND Fan, @Siouxperkick, and @Frozen4sioux have all respectively put it, this is a great hire and we should be extremely optimistic when it comes to the outlook of UND on the short and long-term. I know I am, and could only hope that any pessimism will decrease with his tenure.

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, SiouxSherm94 said:

Love it.  Great choice of questions as well.  The Betty is now paid off as well, correct?  Perhaps this could be great timing for the new Pres to meet Kris.

4 hours ago, SiouxSherm94 said:

Exactly what was needed to be said, if he can massage the relationship into a positive and continued entity, we should all be pleased.

Just saying, we have the Ralph, we have the Betty,....... but... the UND LEM HPC has a heck of a ring to it!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Exactly what was needed to be said, if he can massage the relationship into a positive and continued entity, we should all be pleased.

Just saying, we have the Ralph, we have the Betty,....... but... the UND LEM HPC has a heck of a ring to it!

When has the Engelstad Foundation donated money to UND athletics outside of hockey? I haven't been able to find any articles saying they have. 

8 hours ago, southpaw said:

When has the Engelstad Foundation donated money to UND athletics outside of hockey? I haven't been able to find any articles saying they have. 

Well no better than the present to start. The foundation has given generously to other entities in the community and region.  Makes sense to appreciate the relationship and see what they would be interested being a part of building in the future. 

I just applaud an approach to the relationship that doesnt start from a public tone of ungratefulness and conflict. 

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Was any money donated by the family for the Betty? I was under the impression UND was paying for it via the REA.

That was my impression too.

And I wasn't disparaging the Engelstads or their donations, but I was curious about why we should be thinking about the potential for a donation for the HPC when there haven't been any visible donations outside of hockey. 

2 hours ago, southpaw said:

That was my impression too.

And I wasn't disparaging the Engelstads or their donations, but I was curious about why we should be thinking about the potential for a donation for the HPC when there haven't been any visible donations outside of hockey. 

I'm hoping they can work out a Betty style loan.