Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SiouxFan100

FCS 2019 Playoffs

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I missed the game.  Can someone describe the play and call?

Lance threw a screen pass.  He clearly threw it backwards by a yard.  Illinois State picked it up, no one near the guy, and ran in for a touchdown.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I missed the game.  Can someone describe the play and call?

NDSU threw a backwards pass(close-ish but looked backwards to me), illinois state scoop and score but they called it incomplete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I missed the game.  Can someone describe the play and call?

NDSU threw out to the flat and the ball went slightly backward down the line. It was low and the WR muffed the shoelace catch. The ball was on the ground and a DB picked it up and scampered into the end zone. The refs blew it dead as an incomplete pass. NFL refs would have erred on the fumble side to preserve the ability to review.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

If you count the fumble for a TD they should have had 10.

Would they have gotten a field goal later? Who knows. Whole game is played differently from that point.

Maybe NDSU would have scored more. Maybe ISU starts scoring a bunch. Tough to say. I dont like bad officiating any more than the next guy. They messed that up bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JohnboyND7 said:

Would they have gotten a field goal later? Who knows. Whole game is played differently from that point.

Maybe NDSU would have scored more. Maybe ISU starts scoring a bunch. Tough to say. I dont like bad officiating any more than the next guy. They messed that up bad. 

Impossible to know anything beyond that play obviously. But we do know the entire game would have been played very differently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Irish said:

Trey Lance threw a swing pass that was clearly backwards behind the line of scrimmage - the receiver dropped the ball and the defender picked up what clearly should have been a fumble and had a clear path to the end zone.  Ref's called it an incomplete pass.

I remember a playoff game in the 80's or 90's in Fargo where SU was down 4 points or so with a few minutes left. 

SU qb got hit as his arm was moving forward.  D Lineman picked ball off in mid air just as ref blew whistle.  D Lineman was rumbling for a TD when a ref blew whistle.   Ref was calling incomplete pass because arm was moving fwd.  Inadvertent whistle and dead ball.  Jumped the gun just before the player picked it off.  SU went down and scored.  On the NC that year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

That potential PI call in the end zone is called maybe half of the time, if that.  Officials were obstructed and two guys were battling each other.

 

  Not only was Illinois State screwed out of 7 points, but they also had to start their next drive on the 2 yard line thanks to a nice punt.  In a defensive battle, 7 points taken off the board and flipping field position to the 2 yard line, was the difference in the game.  

The one ref was looking right at it from the goal line. No obstruction to speak of 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Would they have gotten a field goal later? Who knows. Whole game is played differently from that point.

Maybe NDSU would have scored more. Maybe ISU starts scoring a bunch. Tough to say. I dont like bad officiating any more than the next guy. They messed that up bad. 

An if that weak pass interference call went the other way Illinois State would have gotten the ball back with time on the clock and better field position - knowing that they were in 4 down territory all the way.  It would have been interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sioux rube said:

The one ref was looking right at it from the goal line 

So....must have figured to let a little contact go.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

So....must have figured to let a little contact go.   

Guy was pulling on his jersey from the collar. Had he not it’s 6 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There apparently are  a lot of what if’s if stuff u game  had changed. The only thing for sure is the BLOWN fumble call took a td away from Illinois State. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Again, Weber took it. Their DL was all over the qb for Montana.

Last time UND lost a FB game with 3 or more turnovers the other team "took it"........said no one ever on this site!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Had the refs gotten that right it might have been 3+3+7=16 and ISU would not have been in position to possibly win at the end.

giphy.gif

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gothmog said:

Nonsense. The worst call of the day was the missed PI in the end zone against ISU. Had the refs gotten that right it might have been 3+3+7=16 and ISU would not have been in position to possibly win at the end.

NDSU advanced math

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Congrats, NDSU. The refs won you the game vs Illinois State. What a bunch of crap. Will be a lot of sidewalk pissing in Fargo tonight. 

Too cold for that.  Cattle will be in the barns tonight.  Translation:  if you are in a Fargo bar,  careful on the slippery floors!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I remember a playoff game in the 80's or 90's in Fargo where SU was down 4 points or so with a few minutes left. 

SU qb got hit as his arm was moving forward.  D Lineman picked ball off in mid air just as ref blew whistle.  D Lineman was rumbling for a TD when a ref blew whistle.   Ref was calling incomplete pass because arm was moving fwd.  Inadvertent whistle and dead ball.  Jumped the gun just before the player picked it off.  SU went down and scored.  On the NC that year

Hmm..I wasn't around back then.  But I just looked at the playoff brackets from every natty the herd won in the 80's and 1990 and they didn't win a single game by 3 or 4 points.  Could have always scored another late touchdown or something afterwards.  It happens.

I'm thinking football had a lot of goofy stuff back in the day, a lot of which probably went fairly unnoticed since no replays.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Last time UND lost a FB game with 3 or more turnovers the other team "took it"........said no one ever on this site!

Our qbs haven’t been abused by a DL like that in my memory. One guy had 4 sacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sioux rube said:

Guy was pulling on his jersey from the collar. Had he not it’s 6 

Judgement call vs

Nothing to judge on a ball thrown backward, especially when taking place right over a line on the field.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

NDSU threw out to the flat and the ball went slightly backward down the line. It was low and the WR muffed the shoelace catch. The ball was on the ground and a DB picked it up and scampered into the end zone. The refs blew it dead as an incomplete pass. NFL refs would have erred on the fumble side to preserve the ability to review.

The replay is now available on ESPN. It wasn't a low throw, and it is super tough to tell if it went backward or not. If it was backwards, it was by about 3 inches over 20 yards.The play is at 1:14:45.

Lance threw it with his back foot just in front of the 45 on the near hash. His throwing arm was slightly behind his foot because of the direction he was throwing the ball, so the ball was released either directly over the 45 or maybe an inch or two in front of it. The receiver was about five yards beyond the far hash, facing towards Lance and with both of his feet close together just barely behind the 45 and his body leaning slightly forward. The ball hit him right in the gut, which was directly over the 45.

The idea that the ball was a full yard back is idiotic, and mostly due to misremembering and some moron announcers that think they know the rules but don't. If this was a higher profile game with a rules specialist on standby(like NFL or big college games), the official would have said that the officiating philosophy for situations like this is that the ball must be clearly moving backwards before it becomes a fumble. This throw might have been ever so slightly backwards, but that wouldn't be enough; especially on review. Very close call, but ruled correctly on the field. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Judgement call vs

Nothing to judge on a ball thrown backward, especially when taking place right over a line on the field.  

Whatever fits your narrative. Done. Moving on to Montana St 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Hammersmith said:

 

The replay is now available on ESPN. It wasn't a low throw, and it is super tough to tell if it went backward or not. If it was backwards, it was by about 3 inches over 20 yards.The play is at 1:14:45.

Lance threw it with his back foot just in front of the 45 on the near hash. His throwing arm was slightly behind his foot because of the direction he was throwing the ball, so the ball was released either directly over the 45 or maybe an inch or two in front of it. The receiver was about five yards beyond the far hash, facing towards Lance and with both of his feet close together just barely behind the 45 and his body leaning slightly forward. The ball hit him right in the gut, which was directly over the 45.

The idea that the ball was a full yard back is idiotic, and mostly due to misremembering and some moron announcers that think they know the rules but don't. If this was a higher profile game with a rules specialist on standby(like NFL or big college games), the official would have said that the officiating philosophy for situations like this is that the ball must be clearly moving backwards before it becomes a fumble. This throw might have been ever so slightly backwards, but that wouldn't be enough; especially on review. Very close call, but ruled correctly on the field. 

I never said it went a full yard back. It was slight but looked pretty clearly a lateral at the least to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn’t a lateral considered a fumble also?  I haven’t seen the play, but if it isn’t clearly going forward, it should be a fumble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Hammersmith said:

 

The replay is now available on ESPN. It wasn't a low throw, and it is super tough to tell if it went backward or not. If it was backwards, it was by about 3 inches over 20 yards.The play is at 1:14:45.

Lance threw it with his back foot just in front of the 45 on the near hash. His throwing arm was slightly behind his foot because of the direction he was throwing the ball, so the ball was released either directly over the 45 or maybe an inch or two in front of it. The receiver was about five yards beyond the far hash, facing towards Lance and with both of his feet close together just barely behind the 45 and his body leaning slightly forward. The ball hit him right in the gut, which was directly over the 45.

The idea that the ball was a full yard back is idiotic, and mostly due to misremembering and some moron announcers that think they know the rules but don't. If this was a higher profile game with a rules specialist on standby(like NFL or big college games), the official would have said that the officiating philosophy for situations like this is that the ball must be clearly moving backwards before it becomes a fumble. This throw might have been ever so slightly backwards, but that wouldn't be enough; especially on review. Very close call, but ruled correctly on the field. 

Today's lesson in Homerism 101 brought to you by the letters W, T, and F.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Isn’t a lateral considered a fumble also?  I haven’t seen the play, but if it isn’t clearly going forward, it should be a fumble.

Exactly.  Everyone watching on TV had the angle to see it was a fumble plain as day.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...