SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Minnesota -- Turkey Gameday

stoneySIOUX

1 minute ago, iluvdebbies said:

Other than not scoring, I thought the PP looked really good. Gained the O-zone with ease..... really good puck movement....had some nice scoring chances.

Colton Poolman's goal at the end of the 1st was a powerplay goal. They went 1 for 4 on the PP last night. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Even though we have our in-conference rivals who don’t cheer for us, beating non-conference opponents has gotta help the entire NCHC. 

That it does, and beating the Goophs always puts a smile on the regional fans' faces (Duluth, St. Cloud, Mankato, Bemidji, Omaha, Nodak)

• Upvote 2

Report from inside Marriuci last night: I'm not sure I've ever watched a dismantling of an entire hockey program in 60 minutes before this game. The facts were laid bare before everyone that came to watch. The Gopher fans apathy has now only been matched by their players. You know the saying 'Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard'?  Well last night the talent worked harder and 9-3 was the end result.  After Weatherby buried Tychonick's feed into an empty net I could tell it was going to be a route.  The Gopher defensemen looked like their main goal was to get the puck past their own blue line and they failed miserably at it. This team again proved to me it's the real deal with the incredible passing and finishing that I haven't seen since 2016.  Quite possibly my favorite thing was Gopher fans deflecting to anything but the hockey game on social media afterwards. Ticket Prices! Thanksgiving game! Nothing to do in ND! PLEASE LOOK OVER HERE AND NOT AT THE HISTORIC ASS KICKING WE JUST GOT HANDED IN FRONT OF A PRO NORTH DAKOTA CROWD!

All that being said, it'll probably be a 2-1 game tonight, don't ya love college hockey?

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Report from inside Marriuci last night: I'm not sure I've ever watched a dismantling of an entire hockey program in 60 minutes before this game. The facts were laid bare before everyone that came to watch. The Gopher fans apathy has now only been matched by their players. You know the saying 'Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard'?  Well last night the talent worked harder and 9-3 was the end result.  After Weatherby buried Tychonick's feed into an empty net I could tell it was going to be a route.  The Gopher defensemen looked like their main goal was to get the puck past their own blue line and they failed miserably at it. This team again proved to me it's the real deal with the incredible passing and finishing that I haven't seen since 2016.  Quite possibly my favorite thing was Gopher fans deflecting to anything but the hockey game on social media afterwards. Ticket Prices! Thanksgiving game! Nothing to do in ND! PLEASE LOOK OVER HERE AND NOT AT THE HISTORIC ASS KICKING WE JUST GOT HANDED IN FRONT OF A PRO NORTH DAKOTA CROWD!

All that being said, it'll probably be a 2-1 game tonight, don't ya love college hockey?

Someone on twitter claimed they’re a football school now.....

3 hours ago, tnt said:

Our Associate Coach Dane Jackson could give the guys a reminder how things can change from night to night, as he played in the series in Grand Forks when they beat Minnesota 9-0 on Friday, then lost 9-3 the next night.  Talk about a 180!

Was there late in the season on 2nd Ave N in GF for a crazy crowd on Friday and a crowd silencer on Saturday. 9 goals in each of those games, 9 last night - what gives today?

Today will show how well Berry can get the team up for this game (I would consider MN a very dangerous opponent tonight), after dominating them last night. A loss here kind of takes the top off of last night, a win sets this team up as continuing in improvement each week and potentially becoming a great team. Even a 1 goal rivalry win today is a sign of a great team in the making!

• Upvote 1

On 11/28/2019 at 9:19 PM, Oxbow6 said:

Not a chance unless UND spends 40 minutes on the PK. That was a mismatch.

5-2 UND

Not a chance eh? The better team lost last night. If this was last years team it would of been a loss. This is a team that knows how to win when not playing their best. At least that’s the case so far 

1 hour ago, sioux rube said:

Not a chance eh? The better team lost last night. If this was last years team it would of been a loss. This is a team that knows how to win when not playing their best. At least that’s the case so far 

Looked like UND forgot they weren't playing Bemidji as their style of play indicated.

26 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Looked like UND forgot they weren't playing Bemidji as their style of play indicated.

True. I just had that feeling the goofs were going to be much better because they couldn’t of been any worse than thursdays game and the Sioux played damn near a flawless game. Tough to do that back to back. 

42 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

True. I just had that feeling the goofs were going to be much better because they couldn’t of been any worse than thursdays game and the Sioux played damn near a flawless game. Tough to do that back to back. 

Couldn't believe until I heard it last night.....UND went 26+ minutes without a SOG

6 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Couldn't believe until I heard it last night.....UND went 26+ minutes without a SOG

This team controls the puck and waits for a scoring chance before shooting the puck.

Compared to the last couple years when they'd cross the blue line and taker a slapper into the goalies chest to complete the shot sweep for the weekend.

3 hours ago, sioux rube said:

I'm sorry, but Minnesota was NOT the better team last night. Minny came out hard in the first 10 or so minutes, but we absolutely put it on them through the middle part of that game. They took the next 10-15 min in the third, but finished strong. No way was Minnesota better in that game. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'm sorry, but Minnesota was NOT the better team last night. Minny came out hard in the first 10 or so minutes, but we absolutely put it on them through the middle part of that game. They took the next 10-15 min in the third, but finished strong. No way was Minnesota better in that game. 

Your opinion and I respect that. Maybe I’m a bit delusional because of how lopsided it was Thursday night. I did call a 3-2 game after Thursday’s game. I’ll put it this way then. Gophers were a totally different team Friday and actually competed unlike Thursday 

Just now, sioux rube said:

Your opinion and I respect that. Maybe I’m a bit delusional because of how lopsided it was Thursday night. I did call a 3-2 game after Thursday’s game. I’ll put it this way then. Gophers were a totally different team Friday and actually competed unlike Thursday 

Totally opinion, you're right, but for me, all of Minnesota did for the most part, was shoot from the point and look for a scrum in front. Despite that game getting to 3-2, I never once felt like UND lost control of that game. We definitely got a bit gassed near the end, however.

See, I don't see a lot of difference from Thursday. They turned the puck over less, but UND still consistently won board battles and destroyed Minnesota through the middle. Ranta, their best player, was irrelevant this weekend as we never gave him space. 

I think the main difference from night one to night two was we didn't create as many turnovers and bury all of our chances. Minnesota is a very soft team. Plenty of talent, but very, very soft.

40 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Totally opinion, you're right, but for me, all of Minnesota did for the most part, was shoot from the point and look for a scrum in front. Despite that game getting to 3-2, I never once felt like UND lost control of that game. We definitely got a bit gassed near the end, however.

See, I don't see a lot of difference from Thursday. They turned the puck over less, but UND still consistently won board battles and destroyed Minnesota through the middle. Ranta, their best player, was irrelevant this weekend as we never gave him space. 

I think the main difference from night one to night two was we didn't create as many turnovers and bury all of our chances. Minnesota is a very soft team. Plenty of talent, but very, very soft.

Soft as charmin

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

UND could play MINN at 3M 8 more times and MINN would possibly win one. From what I watched the talent disparity top to bottom is huge.

100% what I saw. I like Nelson, Ranta and Meyers. Other than that, it wasn't close and I don't think I'd prefer any player on their team over what we got.