SiouxSports.com Forum

Canisius College @ UND -- Friday/Saturday

stoneySIOUX

We all know what happened last year. I'm of the ilk that this team does not need to bury this team, but just get the wins.... But, it would sure be nice to bury them. Huge for the PWR right out of the gate.

Good start with the exhibition. Keep moving forward.

1 hour ago, Feff said:

To me, it's not important to bury this team for PWR or anything, but rather it's important to bury them for the mentality of the team. They need to dominate Canisius to help develop a mindset for the season. 

I buy that. However, I don't think sweeping next week 4-2, 7-1 or 3-2, 2-1 makes any difference moving after that weekend. We play Mankato next weekend. They won't give a bleep how badly we beat Canisius.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I buy that. However, I don't think sweeping next week 4-2, 7-1 or 3-2, 2-1 makes any difference moving after that weekend. We play Mankato next weekend. They won't give a bleep how badly we beat Canisius.

Correct, Mankato will not care, they will be ready to go. I'll be at the games, can't wait!

12 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

No slowing down and no mercy on the scoreboard or with the physicality. ...

So I guess the apparent crack down on physical play by the refs and NCAA is dismissed in your eyes?  I get it,  f'em..     I like a physical game but seems like a transition to a skill game has UND trailing other programs.

1 hour ago, 90siouxfan said:

So I guess the apparent crack down on physical play by the refs and NCAA is dismissed in your eyes?  I get it,  f'em..     I like a physical game but seems like a transition to a skill game has UND trailing other programs.

Finishing checks, controlling the net front, knocking them off the puck, being strong with the puck, winning the battles in the corner, holding the blue line...and oh my, the horror, yes making some big hits to rattle them. Physicality doesn't automatically mean just big bone crushing illegal cheap hits and concussions... so relax. Teams push other teams around in A LOT of other aspects of the game other than body checking like I listed. Many teams even do in games where body checks aren't even legal. But in this league, where it IS legal, there's nothing wrong with giving out some legal booming hits to rattle them because that'll make them tentative with the puck which will lead to bad decisions and turn overs which lead to more UND scoring opportunities. Should that be their entire game? Absolutely not

Let your hair down a little. 

16 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Who gives a F what Mankato thinks and who gives a F about the pairwise. These boys need to throttle Canisus to no end BOTH nights to correct the hockey universe. Both hockey programs need to be reminded of where things really stand in the college hockey world, and two horrible blow outs are the only way to reinstate that reality. Most importantly the team, coaching staff and fan base need this double blow-out to remedy and wash away the bad taste from last season once and for all (for the most part).

No slowing down and no mercy on the scoreboard or with the physicality. Get these kids to learn to have that killer instinct right away to start the season so they can carry that mind set all season long. All business, all game long, every single weekend.  Because after these two past seasons, they obviously know what it’s like not being able to have that fire-power or ability to bury teams, or even beat them. Give them this new feeling of being able to destroy teams that embarrassed them recently and they’ll never want to go back. They’ll play salty all season long and just bury and embarrass teams who can’t keep up. 

I think two embarrassing blow outs will be the only way to wash away all the canisius jokes that have been floating around for the past year. Series like that are heard around the country and are remembered for years. They can and do hurt the reputations of programs. Proving that it was an absolute fluke, will suppress all of that junk. 

I hope Berry and the boys are as pissed as I am. And I hope they stay that way all year Long. No better time or place to showcase this new attitude than in front of a thirsty crowd at the Ralph on opening weekend. 

Yes this.. Chip on shoulder

3 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Finishing checks, controlling the net front, knocking them off the puck, being strong with the puck, winning the battles in the corner, holding the blue line...and oh my, the horror, yes making some big hits to rattle them. Physicality doesn't automatically mean just big bone crushing illegal cheap hits and concussions... so relax. Teams push other teams around in A LOT of other aspects of the game other than body checking like I listed. Many teams even do in games where body checks aren't even legal. But in this league, where it IS legal, there's nothing wrong with giving out some legal booming hits to rattle them because that'll make them tentative with the puck which will lead to bad decisions and turn overs which lead to more UND scoring opportunities. Should that be their entire game? Absolutely not

Let your hair down a little. 

You are missing the point, I approve and enjoy all those things.  The people that make the rules and steer the game are the ones you need to preach to...   but it would be like teaching a pig to sing, wastes your time and annoys the pig.

• Like 1

I personally don’t think of this as a “revenge series” given that UND has nobody to blame for last year’s sweep but themselves. They certainly can’t blame the Atlantic Hockey officiating as I thought they called it down the middle. Also, nobody told Canisius that they weren’t supposed to come out and earn two wins (God, now I’m stealing lines from Berry Melrose). 

Canisius just happened to cash in on their opportunities. I didn’t see a lack of effort on UND’s part, simply the inability to score on a team that proved to be a very poor team record wise down the stretch following their series with us.  

That said, I’m sure Berry & Co. won’t have a difficult time reminding the returning players of the sour taste left in their mouths following that road sweep in Buffalo as well as impressing upon the entire team what a PWR killer one or two losses at home could be going forward with this season.  

10 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

^^ All of this. I hope the players took the off-season seriously. Stronger, faster, mental toughness, skill, smarts, and play with an edge without crossing it. 

3 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

ohhhh..... yeah that peky blizzardnado storm. 

I wonder how that will play out for attendence. Hoping the I-29 tunnel can be hollowed out and get to forks.

There'll be plenty of snow on the ground by the time the puck drops.

There was a lot of thrash talk a year ago by their team.
Even the fans got into it a little.
Even the support staff, remember the L

On 1/6/2019 at 5:38 PM, TravellingSiouxFan said:

Speaking of puck luck, any other travelers who were at the game see what the Canisius staff did with the pre game puck stack? A kid with Canisius sweatshirt on created an “L”, which I assume was caught by UND very quickly as someone was over there right away to fix it. What an incredible amount of disrespect to a program that has nothing to their name. 

On 1/6/2019 at 6:00 PM, ShirleyPo said:

I was sitting right next to the bench and saw this happen...almost said something to the young man. 

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:18 PM, OgieOgilthorpe said:

It’s gross we even have to say the word revenge when we’re talking about canisus. 

I totally agree w/ EVERYTHING Ogie is saying. . . I told my kids that if the boys don't destroy Canisius this weekend, we're getting season Bismarck Bobcat tickets for the winter instead of staying home to watch the Sioux on TV.