SiouxSports.com Forum

Who’s Next?

sioux24/7

11 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Yeah I would hate to hire Horner only to keep our current roster. If he’s the right guy then great but not simply to keep the roster intact. 

would u rather have herbst and most of the talent leave  (moody, phil, jal, bento...) or horner and keep  those 4?

12 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

would u rather have herbst and most of the talent leave  (moody, phil, jal, bento...) or horner and keep  those 4?

It is not an either or situation.  Yes he recruited them but they may well play for another coach.  I bet Moody would play for Boschee in a heart beat.  He hold the record for 3's at Kansas.   that is right up Moody's alley.  This would be a pay raise for Boschee,   They Williams coaching tree would be good.  Plus Boschee played in how many final fours.  Bradford his his asst. Another good player.  Let's just wait and see how this develops.

• Upvote 1

I want a coach who can guarantee, and follow it up with, 22 wins a year- year in and year out.

a coach who can guarantee at least 1,000 more butts in the seats per game

a coach that will own su

a coach who can guarantee we go dancing at least every third year

a coach who can guarantee at least two 6ft 10 inch capable post players 

a coach who will bore us with conference championships 

a coach who can triple contributions to our athletic programs 

:D

• Upvote 4

41 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I want a coach who can guarantee, and follow it up with, 22 wins a year- year in and year out.

a coach who can guarantee at least 1,000 more butts in the seats per game

a coach that will own su

a coach who can guarantee we go dancing at least every third year

a coach who can guarantee at least two 6ft 10 inch capable post players 

a coach who will bore us with conference championships 

a coach who can triple contributions to our athletic programs 

:D

I like this coach you're talking about.
How do we keep him, maybe a long contract with a substantial financial penalty for an early leave?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

Yeah I would hate to hire Horner only to keep our current roster. If he’s the right guy then great but not simply to keep the roster intact. 

IMHO, there are only 3-4 players from next year's likely roster that we can't afford to lose!  Obviously, we can't lose 5-6 players or we would have a real numbers issue.       

Appreciate the feedback from Undbiz on the HR perspective...curious how much our AD or Administration is speaking to anyone (agents, representatives,  etc) on a prospectus candidate to vent OUT... or IN a coach. 

As for the article posted, I can relate as my interest in program dropped...the Summit leagues growth and most recently this change has me excited again for UND basketball. 

As posted...I am ok with being called cheerleader or a advocate for Herbst...but when you look at the all the positives listed for others mentioned, he has demonstrated them all as well, Herbst fits the best. Has UND and area family ties, coached in summit league, Associate Head Coach at current Division I, successful head coaching at Univ. Of Mary, and junior College...and the proven ability to recruit at all those places, including UND and Grand Forks!

• Like 1

I was out of touch with UND BB when Herbst was on staff, so when that name was brought up, it was unknown to me.  He does seem like a good candidate, and I would be excited for the Herbst era.  I am also very intrigued by Jeff Boschee.  To have a coach that has played in the Final Four and under legendary coach Roy Williams would definitely be a real shot in the arm on multiple levels - media, recruiting, donors.  My only concern - with those experiences, why hasn't he gone further than Missouri Southern HC already?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

sometimes it's hard to follow twitter wars but is brian idalski trolling tom miller about men's basketball now? can't tell what their "twittering" about?

It would appear Idalski and Fabian are salty still about women’s hockey being cut and Tom’s article when it was cut. Basically saying that men’s basketball should be in a better position now because they cut those other sports. 

I have a tweet loaded up in response to Fabian about how they won and still didn’t draw fans but I would rather not get in the muck. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, petey23 said:

And then fully vetting the candidate after you name the finalist, maybe get some SJW's to see if they can dig up anything on them and then vote again.

A thorough back ground check followed by  contacting references for anyone being seriously considered before you bring them in for an interview.  There is no reason to spend resources to interview a candidate  to only  learn later you can't shouldn't hire  the candidate.  We should have learned something from the Shirvani fiasco. Anyone who "Googled" him before the interview would have seen the red flags.

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

I was out of touch with UND BB when Herbst was on staff, so when that name was brought up, it was unknown to me.  He does seem like a good candidate, and I would be excited for the Herbst era.  I am also very intrigued by Jeff Boschee.  To have a coach that has played in the Final Four and under legendary coach Roy Williams would definitely be a real shot in the arm on multiple levels - media, recruiting, donors.  My only concern - with those experiences, why hasn't he gone further than Missouri Southern HC already?

he's not even 40 yet. 3 years as a HS coach, 4 years as a college assistant, and then 5 as a D2 head coach is a perfectly reasonable path.

16 minutes ago, Dagger said:

Boschee has been head coach since 2014. Wasn’t there stipulations on how long you had to have been a head coach?

Minimum Requirements:

• Bachelor’s Degree
  • Minimum 8 seasons of full-time collegiate coaching experience
  • Experience recruiting prospective student-athletes for collegiate teams
  • Valid Driver's License
  • Successful completion of a criminal history background check

In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the US and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. 

Preferred Qualifications:

• Masters or advanced degree
  • Demonstrated recruiting experience in the central time zone
  • Experience with recruiting and compliance software (Front Rush, ACS, ARMS or Jump Forward)
  • Head coaching experience at the collegiate level
  • Current head coach at a NCAA institution
  • Demonstrated success as a head or assistant coach with conference championships or a winning percentage of 60% or above
  • History of no major or Level 2 NCAA violations
  • University of North Dakota ties by either having attended or through employment
  • North Dakota ties by having lived or born in the state

2 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Minimum Requirements:

• Bachelor’s Degree
  • Minimum 8 seasons of full-time collegiate coaching experience
  • Experience recruiting prospective student-athletes for collegiate teams
  • Valid Driver's License
  • Successful completion of a criminal history background check

In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the US and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. 

Preferred Qualifications:

• Masters or advanced degree
  • Demonstrated recruiting experience in the central time zone
  • Experience with recruiting and compliance software (Front Rush, ACS, ARMS or Jump Forward)
  • Head coaching experience at the collegiate level
  • Current head coach at a NCAA institution
  • Demonstrated success as a head or assistant coach with conference championships or a winning percentage of 60% or above
  • History of no major or Level 2 NCAA violations
  • University of North Dakota ties by either having attended or through employment
  • North Dakota ties by having lived or born in the state

8 years of coaching experience does not necessarily mean 8 years as a HEAD coach. Does Chaves already have his target and did he tailor these requirements to fit that particular individual?

2 minutes ago, zonadub said:

8 years of coaching experience does not necessarily mean 8 years as a HEAD coach. Does Chaves already have his target and did he tailor these requirements to fit that particular individual?

sure looks like it to me.   It fits Jeff to a tee.   If we could get Jeff and keep him until the Kansas job opens that would be great.

1 hour ago, UNDhoops said:

he's not even 40 yet. 3 years as a HS coach, 4 years as a college assistant, and then 5 as a D2 head coach is a perfectly reasonable path.

All right, you sold me.

1 hour ago, UNDhoops said:

Probably not a fair comparison, but Coach K was 33 when he became the head coach of Duke.  (Previously had 5 seasons of DI HC experience at Army)

25 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Probably not a fair comparison, but Coach K was 33 when he became the head coach of Duke.  (Previously had 5 seasons of DI HC experience at Army)

i'm not saying those guys don't exist (and they're getting more prevalent at the mid and low major levels) but coaching isn't like playing where if you're not good right away it probably means you won't ever be (or if you move along really slowly it means you aren't good)