SiouxSports.com Forum

2019-2020 Season

SWSiouxMN

15 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Rule changes for 2019-2020 Season

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2019-06-05/mens-college-basketball-3-point-line-extended-international

• 3-point line moving back to the international distance of 22' 1/34"
  • Shot clock reset at 20 seconds (instead of 30) after a field-goal attempt hits the rim and the offensive team rebounds the ball in the front court.
  • Coaches allowed to live-ball timeouts in the final two minutes of games. (previously weren't allowed to).

They should be cutting back on timeouts in the final 2 minutes, not making it easier.  I suppose they want to allow for as many commercial breaks as possible though.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/1775678-UNDs-new-head-basketball-coach-keeps-two-assistants-loses-two

Two UND men's basketball assistant coach job openings are expected to be posted by the university soon, and the school confirmed Thursday afternoon Director of Operations Nate Kaeding and assistant coach Dani Mihailovic will be retained in their current roles.

4 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

They should be cutting back on timeouts in the final 2 minutes, not making it easier.  I suppose they want to allow for as many commercial breaks as possible though.

Agreed! Sometimes the last 2 minutes are the most exciting in basketball, other times just milking the clock

I'm a little surprised about the foreign coach staying as well.  Not that I'm against international players, but it is expensive to maintain that pipeline both for recruiting travel and scholarship cost I assume.  

Not at all surprised that Kaeding is staying on given that he is a ND guy with ties to SD as well.

Based on Sather's comments at the presser, I am guessing an assistant from Northern will likely be hired.  He said he wanted continuity on his end as well as the players end.

I also have nothing against Grabowski and Heatherly.  I wish them all the best and appreciate their contribitions, but IMO a clean break from the Jones "coaching tree" is probably best for this program.  The entire philosophy of this program needs an overhaul from the ground up.  I hope Sather is up to the challenge.

• Upvote 4

On 6/4/2019 at 3:53 PM, Hambone said:

I don't think Jal Bijek is going to be much of a loss.  

I would really like to see Eikens stay though.  But if his heart isn't in it at UND, best of luck to him.....

I guess if a player isn't confident enough in his own ability to be successful without a certain coach, perhaps it is best for both parties to part ways.....

7 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

I like the gray unis!

Football too, I don't get all the hate for them! Much preferred to the black alternates as far as I am concerned.

The gray jerseys are okay as alternate but why don’t we have a green or black set for the road?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Crisis averted

Yes, yes, yes! The bottom line is you are committing to a place that will provide you with a great education, life experience, team mates - it's the program, not a coach. Lots of respect for a kid who takes a look around and realizes this. 

5 minutes ago, balla45 said:

I think it was an intelligent decision to take a look at which options were available and evaluate the new staff and make sure you are comfortable.  

Very excited to watch this upcoming season. 

Agreed.  Very well said.  

11 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

I'm a little surprised about the foreign coach staying as well.  Not that I'm against international players, but it is expensive to maintain that pipeline both for recruiting travel and scholarship cost I assume.  

Not at all surprised that Kaeding is staying on given that he is a ND guy with ties to SD as well.

Based on Sather's comments at the presser, I am guessing an assistant from Northern will likely be hired.  He said he wanted continuity on his end as well as the players end.

I also have nothing against Grabowski and Heatherly.  I wish them all the best and appreciate their contribitions, but IMO a clean break from the Jones "coaching tree" is probably best for this program.  The entire philosophy of this program needs an overhaul from the ground up.  I hope Sather is up to the challenge.

fair point on the cost of recruiting but you'd be surprised how much recruiting of kids from europe is done via word of mouth. i think being able to establish a pipeline (or even a scenario where you get the benefit of the doubt from kids over there) can give them a huge leg up on schools in the conference. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

I like the gray unis!

Football too, I don't get all the hate for them! Much preferred to the black alternates as far as I am concerned.

The green lettering with the gray makes it too hard to read the names, even on TV.  If they had stuck to white lettering, it would have been less of an issue. 

Women's bball has a real nice black uniform combination.  

12 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

I don't think Jal Bijek is going to be much of a loss.  

I would really like to see Eikens stay though.  But if his heart isn't in it at UND, best of luck to him.....

I guess if a player isn't confident enough in his own ability to be successful without a certain coach, perhaps it is best for both parties to part ways.....

This is pretty much moot now, but with Eikens coming back it makes the Jal loss very minimal.  I could be way off on this but he just didn't seem to fit the style that Jones wanted to run last year (the pace seemed slower last year then compared to previous years). I think he would have a better fit with the Huff teams where he could use his athleticism and was more up and down.  I do hope he does well wherever he ends up.  It could have also been a "writing on the wall" situation since they both play the same position and would be competing for the same minutes.  

It might have meant a little more if Eikens didn't come back, but again.. its pretty much moot now. 

2 hours ago, balla45 said:

I think it was an intelligent decision to take a look at which options were available and evaluate the new staff and make sure you are comfortable.  

Very excited to watch this upcoming season. 

I'm glad he's back, and it was quite a quick decision at that.  It gives this team something they haven't had since Huff... a person that can play the 3 spot with the size to do it.