SiouxSports.com Forum

St. Cloud State at North Dakota (January 25 & 26)

GoalieMask

Most pathetic team since I’ve had season tickets (1984). Even Gino’s bad years his team were not even close to this !@#$ show. It will be cool next year to have an empty barn with s cool scoreboard. The first ten minutes of the third the puck never left our end. Berry quote “ make sure we play a good D game against a great offensive team, don’t want to get into a track meet “ whatever happened to if you pressure them in their end they can’t score in ours. Really doubting our season tickets for next year and that’s the first time in  35 years.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Most pathetic team since I’ve had season tickets (1984). Even Gino’s bad years his team were not even close to this !@#$ show. It will be cool next year to have an empty barn with s cool scoreboard. The first ten minutes of the third the puck never left our end. Berry quote “ make sure we play a good D game against a great offensive team, don’t want to get into a track meet “ whatever happened to if you pressure them in their end they can’t score in ours. Really doubting our season tickets for next year and that’s the first time in  35 years.

Apparently you missed MANY years if you think this is the most pathetic team since 1984.  This is a competitive and slightly above average team in the nation.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

Apparently you missed MANY years if you think this is the most pathetic team since 1984.  This is a competitive and slightly above average team in the nation.

Maybe record wise, but entertainment wise this team is definitely in the running for worst since then.  Even during the Gino down years, there was usually some very entertaining players to watch (Greg Johnson, Russ Romaniuk, Dixon Ward, McLean, etc).

• Upvote 3

Refs were bad all night, and ended with an exclamation  point. But I think und was worse. Yes they were competitive in the 1st but jeez do they know how to lose. I’m scared to watch tonight, scsu was clearly superior...again. Embarrassing 

I lost count of how many scoring opportunities scsu had just strictly from UND players coughing it up. Bad passes or clears going straight to scsu point man, getting pick pocketed right in their own slot, and just making poor decisions around the net all night. Shaw needs to be in the stands tonight. Tychonick got better as the night went on. 

Not sure what else to say other than if was a betting man, I’d be all in on scsu tonight. This UND team has no fight. Post game interviews make it sound like they’re okay with losing and glad the game was somewhat close. Loser mentality across the board on this team and this staff. 

11 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

If you think this team is competitive not sure which team your watching. With all the built in advantages such as the Ralph, lots of alumni in the NHL this team should not be “ slightly above average” 

Average is the worst of the best and the best of the worst , Paul Harvey.

I think people who are depending on next year's class to save this program are fooling themselves.  Sure, they are highly regarded on paper.  However, after our notorious blank Juniors we have two fairly strong (on paper) classes - see any of them skating with St. Cloud?  (that's right - St. Cloud is way better than us) - I didn't - they were faster, more organized, more physical and played with more grit.  I don't know if we are mis-evaluating, pounding the offense out of them with our "system", or just plain getting beat to recruits, but there should be absolutely no reason we should be whipping boys to St. Cloud.  And no one on staff seems to be fired up - excuses, puck luck, process, process, process.  If things don't change quickly buckle your seat belts - it's going to be a bumpy ride.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, TheFlop said:

Other then Senden, who I don't think will score quantity, but he will score some big ones, and maybe Hain, this team is hurting next year too.  UND has a nice crop of forwards coming in but expecting a couple freshman forwards to carry this team (which they will need to do) is alot to ask.

Agreed.  It’ll take a few classes to get this thing back on track 

54 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

I said that 0-8 in the upcoming stretch of games was a very real possibility.  Last night’s results did nothing to change my mind.  This season will end with a aub .500 record.  Book it.

But, hey, it’s all good because of 2016, right?

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Irish said:

I think people who are depending on next year's class to save this program are fooling themselves.  Sure, they are highly regarded on paper.  However, after our notorious blank Juniors we have two fairly strong (on paper) classes - see any of them skating with St. Cloud?  (that's right - St. Cloud is way better than us) - I didn't - they were faster, more organized, more physical and played with more grit.  I don't know if we are mis-evaluating, pounding the offense out of them with our "system", or just plain getting beat to recruits, but there should be absolutely no reason we should be whipping boys to St. Cloud.  And no one on staff seems to be fired up - excuses, puck luck, process, process, process.  If things don't change quickly buckle your seat belts - it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Neither of those forward classes are even close to what the incoming class is on paper. As for the current locker room culture, can't disagree. Blaming puck luck when you were completely outmanned is just awful. 

2 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Agreed.  It’ll take a few classes to get this thing back on track 

I don’t believe it would , these players have/ had talent and it’s still there. We need to put systems in and a work ethic that brings out that. Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work. Your coach making excuses for his players doesn’t help, hold people accountable and if you dont skate you sit, when was the last time you heard of s heathly scratch?

This has the look of a campaign lost in the off-season. Two years straight we’ve been overmatched in every conceivable way almost from day one. It looks like our S/C program is not what today’s game demands.

We are slow, gassed, and overpowered. Those things aren’t fixed after the season starts. Same thing applies to skills and concepts. That’s all on the coaches. If the team leaders aren’t doing their part then that’s on the coaches too. We may have a great culture but it doesn’t seem to include being the best you can be. 

I actually feel bad for our players getting worked over like this. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheFlop said:

And people need to stop being surprised that TH is a Homer.  His entire identiy is being the announcer of UND hockey and he is smart enough to know that he loses that identity and will be pushed out if he is critical towards the team.  

LOL.  I’m sure you felt the same way about Doug and Frank calling Gopher games back in the day on FSN...Gophers lose 9-2, but somehow two of the three “Stars of the Game” would be Minnesota players.  :lol:

So we have the culture, the history and the facilities , so why are we not competitive?

I believe 2016 was more about the core group of players and how the went about things then Brad Berry. 

That team could have won with anyone at the helm including Hakstol. Name one coaching move in 2016 that made a difference?

• Upvote 1

This season so far can be summed up from one play last night........Rhett's lack of effort and poor play on the puck on the ENG.

Regardless of the score and the time left in the game to watch that play from my seat was disheartening and frankly embarrassing.

7 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

So we have the culture, the history and the facilities , so why are we not competitive?

I believe 2016 was more about the core group of players and how the went about things then Brad Berry. 

That team could have won with anyone at the helm including Hakstol. Name one coaching move in 2016 that made a difference?

We don't have the culture right now. Not sure if it's Berry not holding players accountable, multiple staff members more concerned about their player kid's feelings than the team, poor upper class leadership, or bad puck bunnies, but something is wrong. 

• Upvote 1

.......and is there anyone in college hockey on any level that tries to make each game he is in "all about me" than Anderson. Actually surprised he doesn't carry a mirror in his pocket when he officiates.

download.jpeg

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

We don't have the culture right now. Not sure if it's Berry not holding players accountable, multiple staff members more concerned about their player kid's feelings than the team, poor upper class leadership, or bad puck bunnies, but something is wrong. 

I blame Gersich

22 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

More black jersey nights?