SiouxSports.com Forum

St. Cloud State at North Dakota (January 25 & 26)

GoalieMask

1 hour ago, burd said:

I guess I don't see how anyone can be the least bit surprised that a team ranked #23 in the pairwise lost to the team ranked #1 by 1 goal (and ENG). 

6 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Can't recall a more thorough dismantling of a UND team at the Ralph since it opened. That was about as lopsided a last 40 minutes as one is going to see.

Glass half full...meet glass half empty.

At 12 wins and 11 losses (and 1 tie), I’ll go with Oxbow6’s take here.

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

Starman: "North Dakotas team speed is not that great."

Is UNDs lack of skill that obvious to everyone?

YES.  Following the 1st period tonight, watching the 2nd and 3rd periods, it became so obvious to this non-hockey great mind and never played hockey that St Cloud is light years ahead of us speed-wise and offensive-skill wise.  I'm not sure our 1st line is as good as their 3rd line.  It's painful, how the eff did it get to this in just 2 seasons?  Seriously.  This has gotta change, no excuse for this proud program who lands top recruits. 

1 hour ago, crb1 said:

How is it that we have a team like this. I just can’t believe it. There is no reason St. Cloud should field a better team than us. It’s just mind boggling. 

You summed it up.  We all know the reason, the elephant in the room.  There better be a change after this season or this cold go on for several years.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Let's break it down:

-Scheel was fantastic.

-They are on a different planet than we are.  When both teams settled in it wasn't close.  Skill, speed, crisp passes, and their PP actually looks like they want to score.  

-Knee on knee hit by Schuldt should get him a game tomorrow.  And to think it was a well officiated game to that point. 

-Our second periods suck.....

-I thought our team had to do pushups for missing the net?  Guess not.....

-Had an opportunity to maybe steal one, but I can't remember a great scoring opportunity for us the third period.

#process

You said it, we were so over-matched skill and speed-wise. Embarrassing.  And yes, our 2nd periods suck every game.

1 hour ago, burd said:

I guess I don't see how anyone can be the least bit surprised that a team ranked #23 in the pairwise lost to the team ranked #1 by 1 goal (and ENG). 

I get your point but that's why you play the game.  LOWLY Canisius swept us so why can't we, with a program of our stature and high-end recruits/draft picks, win one game or even sweep St Cloud?!  Plus we're at home.  Plus it's on NHL size rink.  But no, we get embarrassed/outclassed the last two periods.  There's gotta be change.

Recap 

https://seamoresports.com/2019/01/26/special-teams-stats-prove-deceptive-as-st-cloud-state-takes-opener-3-1/ 

For stuff on the hit, im uploading a podcast all are welcome to listen to and provide feedback on. Tried to talk to SCSU fans, UND fans, and provide a recap here all in 20 minutes. Please listen and provide feedback if possible, good bad or otherwise, trying to do what I can to help cover all UND sports as much as possible! 

6 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

I see you two haven’t put down the 2016 champagne glasses, eh?

:D  I was actually trying to say that if anyone is surprised, it should be that we didn't get beat worse.   The teams are ranked where they are for a reason.  

8 hours ago, Godsmack said:

I’m not disagreeing with you, just not pinning this loss on Poolman. It was looking inevitable that St. Cloud was eventually going to take the lead anyway, it was just a matter of when.

Sure,  but he still screwed up.  Players do screw up and he did.

Other then Senden, who I don't think will score quantity, but he will score some big ones, and maybe Hain, this team is hurting next year too.  UND has a nice crop of forwards coming in but expecting a couple freshman forwards to carry this team (which they will need to do) is alot to ask.