Power play

SIOUXELEVENS

54 minutes ago, R_Schneider_4 said:

Here’s the PP % since Shaw arrived

2015-2016 (19.1)

2016-2017 (18.5)

2017-2018 (20.5) 

2018-2019 (17.4)

How do those numbers compare with Hak's teams and other teams in the conference?

I have not been able to watch the last two weekends, but prior to that they seemed to be maintaining possession pretty well--certainly better than last year.  They just don't seem to have the shooters.   If that is true, they probably need to get more dirty rebound, tipped and deflected goals off of shots from the point.   That is probably how most teams get their 5-4 PP goals. 

EDIT:  I see the numbers compared to other teams this year was posted on another thread.

11 minutes ago, burd said:

How do those numbers compare with Hak's teams and other teams in the conference?

I have not been able to watch the last two weekends, but prior to that they seemed to be maintaining possession pretty well--certainly better than last year.  They just don't seem to have the shooters.   If that is true, they probably need to get more dirty rebound, tipped and deflected goals off of shots from the point.   That is probably how most teams get their 5-4 PP goals. 

2007-2008 (18.4)

2008-2009 (17.2)

2009-2010 (20.6)

2010-2011 (22.9)

2011-2012 (22)

2012-2013 (19.4)

2013-2014 (17.2)

2014-2015 (20.4)

not sure about other teams in the conference. CHN on the phone is slow so not going to look all those up. 

I don’t disagree that the PP we’ve seen this year is a mess, but I’d like to know what the PP% needs to be before we’re satisfied. Do they need to get it above 20? 22? 25?

To me it just seems like our talent depth up front is the biggest factor this year. We normally aren’t an outstanding PP team, but it gets the job done most years.  Seems the type of players we recruit may be a factor, as we’re usually very responsible in our own zone and have a good PK. 

4 minutes ago, Snake said:

I don’t disagree that the PP we’ve seen this year is a mess, but I’d like to know what the PP% needs to be before we’re satisfied. Do they need to get it above 20? 22? 25?

I'd like to see it above 20 every year. If it's above 20 every year that should keep you in the top third in the country. The other part is maintaining possession and keeping the pressure on all the time whether they're scoring or not. 

You want your power play and penalty kill to add up to 100% or better.

The most noticeable thing with other teams power plays is movement. The puck doesn’t stay in one place long and players are getting to the soft spots while the guy with the puck is getting a defender out of position.

There are many reasons why this is so frustrating to fans:

- It has been going on for so long

- There is no reason with our talent (other than this year - a whole other issue) that it should occur

- Although we have a coaching staff with outstanding resumes, absolutely nothing seems to change - nothing (including having Shaw in charge)

- Other teams with a much lesser roster seem to have much less trouble  

- It is brutal on the eye test - no bang bang plays, no back doors, no crisp passing, no overloads caused by quick passing, very little in front of the net presence,  just endless perimeter passing, teeing it up, passing some more, then either shooting in to someones' shins or losing the puck - rinse repeat.

- Did I mention that nothing ever seems to change? - This bears repeating.

- Oh, and it has cost us (especially last year when one more win would have put us in the tourney) and will continue to bite us.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, for me it's not puck movement, it's player movement. Guys without the puck should be moving to get themselves a shooting or screening lane. It's easy to defend a power play that has several players standing still. So UND gets the bang bang plays, but usually very quick once possession is established, before they actually setup. Once UND sets up the pp, they tend to camp out.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, franchise said:

We should mimic Army.  They are at 29% and probably don't have much for talent.

We'd need to start scheduling Robert Morris, Mercyhurst, Sacred Heart, Bentley, Niagara, and Canisius more then to mimic their scheduling as well.  Heck of a lot easier to score PP goals against those opponents rather than UMD, WMU, etc.  We saw it earlier when we played UAA...we do play Canisius soon though so hopefully that will help bump our PP%.  :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, brianvf said:

We'd need to start scheduling Robert Morris, Mercyhurst, Sacred Heart, Bentley, Niagara, and Canisius more then to mimic their scheduling as well.  Heck of a lot easier to score PP goals against those opponents rather than UMD, WMU, etc.  We saw it earlier when we played UAA...we do play Canisius soon though so hopefully that will help bump our PP%.  :D

Oh man, if the boys go 0-fer against Canisius, you're getting a notification :lol:

From The Schloss ... 

The power play went 0-for-7, but outside of the poor major power play, I think you can give them a little bit of a break. Because of the injuries and Kawaguchi’s ejection, they were using units that they’ve never used before. They were using some forwards on the power play who I haven’t even seen practice on those units since preseason. Not surprisingly, the power play got better as the game went along. Bulldog goalie Hunter Shepard made some remarkable saves during a late second-period power play, where the Fighting Hawks launched seven shots on goal. During UND’s first 9:32 on the power play Saturday, it had a paltry one shot on goal. During the final six minutes of power-play time, UND had 10 shots on goal.

Chiming in with one comment on the weekend's powerplay, that noone has mentioned (that I saw).

UMD's PK is #1 in the nation.   That's despite playing arguably the toughest schedule in the country so far.

I can think of several excellent plays where we were foiled by a great save or a nice defensive play.

Credit to the opponent (this week), would be my viewpoint.   Along with Schlossman's note about injuries.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, farce poobah said:

Chiming in with one comment on the weekend's powerplay, that noone has mentioned (that I saw).

UMD's PK is #1 in the nation.   That's despite playing arguably the toughest schedule in the country so far.

I can think of several excellent plays where we were foiled by a great save or a nice defensive play.

Credit to the opponent (this week), would be my viewpoint.   Along with Schlossman's note about injuries.

^^^      best post of this thread.

3 hours ago, farce poobah said:

Back out last weekend and our pp % is still hot garbage.

• Upvote 1