SiouxSports.com Forum

WR and OL Coaches

FlinFlan80

1 hour ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

So under your definition of "in-bred", when Sam King was hired the first time as a GA, Bubba went outside the circles of UND Football to find him in the first place and hired "new blood". 

But after Sam coached at UND for 2 years, then went to Duluth to coach running backs under Noah Pauley for 2 years in UMD's high octane offense, he's now considered an in-bred hire and not new blood or new-fangled  ideas? 

Got it.

You may not agree with me, but I think most everyone on the board understands my point.  Again, I am not judging Sam, just commenting mainly on Bubba's stubborn refusal to change.  I think Bubba's body of work speaks for itself as does his sticking with Rudolf again last year. And how many years has he had to clean up punt blocking?  You have to admit Bubba is not a flexible fellow - which can be admirable if you are winning championships but a liability when you are a .500 team. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Irish said:

You may not agree with me, but I think most everyone on the board understands my point.  Again, I am not judging Sam, just commenting mainly on Bubba's stubborn refusal to change.  I think Bubba's body of work speaks for itself as does his sticking with Rudolf again last year. And how many years has he had to clean up punt blocking?  You have to admit Bubba is not a flexible fellow - which can be admirable if you are winning championships but a liability when you are a .500 team. 

Your premise on being the most in-bred staff in the country is patently false though in my opinion. Admittedly the definition is pretty subjective, but...

Of the 10 coaches on the staff currently, 3 are actual alums (Schmidt, Freund and Schwenzfeier). 

I'll give you Bubba because of his vast experience with the program over 4 different decades.

All indications point towards the OL coach hire being an outsider.

So even with Bubba (a non-alum), that's 4 out of 11.

Is it really that bad in-breeding on staff?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Irish said:

This is not a judgement on Sam King, whom I don't know much about.  Just an observation about our program in general - It has to be one of the most in-bred programs in the country.  Bubba has successfully resisted any change for 5 years and the result is mediocrity.  Finally he is forced to make some staff changes and we immediately hire either someone who is already on staff or someone that has spent time here.  God forbid we get any new blood or anyone that would bring in any new-fangled ideas.  We have an incredible tolerance for a crap program because he is "one of us, one of us".  The GOBC really let us down on this one - we have wasted a decade now - how much longer are we content.

You bring up fair points and I’m embarrassed that so many would down vote your post because the truth hurts. Not so much that the program is “in-bred”, but that those who have been a part of this stale regime continue to be elevated and/or relied upon. 

I think Freund and King are high-potential young coaches that could do great things for UND at their new positions. 

With that said, potential is the  key word. Neither one of them have coached at this level at their new positions. There is definitely a sizable risk. 

Biggest limiting factors seem to be salary and the program’s reputation. UND can’t pay assistant coaches enough - it is a legitimate problem and it limits their scope when searching for candidates. Lastly, the program doesn’t have the greatest reputation and trajectory based on the past two seasons. 

All in all, a lot rides on the unproven shoulders of Freund for 2019; fair or unfair, it is what it is. Go UND

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Very consistent program. Kirk Ferentz does a real nice job. Sucks NDSU barely beat them. 

Yep, in 5 of the last 8 years he's been 7-6 or 8-5 with an FCS win against UNI who we all know is a football juggernaut.  I think Kirky Boy is a little overrated. Of course there was the Rose Bowl year, 45-16 loss to Stanford, and that 4-8 year in 2012.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

Yep, in 5 of the last 8 years he's been 7-6 or 8-5 with an FCS win against UNI who we all know is a football juggernaut.  I think Kirky Boy is a little overrated. Of course there was the Rose Bowl year, 45-16 loss to Stanford, and that 4-8 year in 2012.

Is he overrated? Maybe, but I believe he’s done a good job in a very tough conference. His record might not fly at Michigan or Ohio State but he’s not far from the likes of Alvarez and on the same level as Tiller. In my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Hey, that kind of sounds like UND under Bubba.

One really good season, one really bad season, and otherwise a bunch of average seasons. 

Certainly better than a collection of losing seasons, though. 

18 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Iowa is top 5 FBS Rudy-esque offenses, too.  How they tanked one for the Turd I will never forgive them!!

21 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

One really good season, one really bad season, and otherwise a bunch of average seasons. 

Gundy did call it Rudy-esque. :D

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

This is how I sum up each year under Bubba:

1. Rebuilding, cabinets bare boned, tough to watch

2. Got some momentum, play-off snub for a hot team

3. Won a lot of close games after 0-2 start, defense aided record, play-off disaster

4. In like a Lion, left like a lamb

5. The mirror season, couldn't deny the changes that had to be made looking into the mirror

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

3. Won a lot of close games after 0-2 start, defense aided record, play-off disaster

5. The mirror season, couldn't deny the changes that had to be made looking into the mirror

This.  Somewhat disagree with 5, though.  Defense, to me at least, seemed much improved.

46 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

#3 and #5 stand out

#3 - und lost the playoff game because they couldn’t maintain the lead (17 point lead) and run out the clock

#5 - UND didn’t make the playoffs because they couldn’t maintain the lead (Idaho State, Idaho)

as a result, offensive line coach (needed for running out clock) and offensive coordinator (innovative calls to run out clock) are fired.

i see similarities between both seasons and the common denominator is the above mentioned issues 

here’s to hoping Freund and newly hired OL coach can improve this fatal flaw in 2019

• Upvote 1

We have not earned a high ranking yet. When we have actually been ranked we failed. Tough to complain about being under ranked and feeling slighted when we have a recent history of tanking when it counts. 

Now with new coaches everything changes :0  

No, we still have to prove we belong. Hopefully with these changes we can prove we belong sooner than later. And then, more than a one year shot, year in and year out consistency in proving we belong. That way we can get the benefit of the doubt.

Everyone here already knows this.

Isn't it the AD's job to make sure he approves of the hirings of all the Head Coaches on campus? It is literally impossible to judge the hire until we see what type of product is put on the field. I do know that Darin King, Sam's dad, was a hell of a coach and Red River football would have been in a much different position had King kept coaching. Instead, Darin worked his way up and is now a big wig with the NDUS. Apples don't fall far from trees. I'm sure Sam King knows his stuff and for 40k a year (minimum wage) he could be a steal.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1