SiouxSports.com Forum

WR and OL Coaches

FlinFlan80

Not that I think it will happen but it would be awesome to get Kuper for the OL. To tell you the truth I’m concerned that we won’t find an improvement at this position. Not even sure Knauf should’ve been fired to begin with. He had some bad luck with big recruits not showing, leaving or being booted off the team. I think the line performed well considering the talent he had and the OC calling the plays. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, bang said:

Not that I think it will happen but it would be awesome to get Kuper for the OL. To tell you the truth I’m concerned that we won’t find an improvement at this position. Not even sure Knauf should’ve been fired to begin with. He had some bad luck with big recruits not showing, leaving or being booted off the team. I think the line performed well considering the talent he had and the OC calling the plays. 

"considering the talent he had".  He was in charge of recruiting that talent and was poor at doing it.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

"considering the talent he had".  He was in charge of recruiting that talent and was poor at doing it.  

He’s part in control. The coaches take territories and recruit from there. At any rate like I stated he had some bad luck. Slater, Williams, Grady, the guy from Minot that got hurt and the unnamed players who got booted. There might have been more to it I don’t know. Out of all the coaches (minus the OC) he’s not the one I get rid of. 

This is not a judgement on Sam King, whom I don't know much about.  Just an observation about our program in general - It has to be one of the most in-bred programs in the country.  Bubba has successfully resisted any change for 5 years and the result is mediocrity.  Finally he is forced to make some staff changes and we immediately hire either someone who is already on staff or someone that has spent time here.  God forbid we get any new blood or anyone that would bring in any new-fangled ideas.  We have an incredible tolerance for a crap program because he is "one of us, one of us".  The GOBC really let us down on this one - we have wasted a decade now - how much longer are we content.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

This is NOT a UND thing. 

Urban Meyer was a GA at OSU 20 years before he became their head coach. 

Every college keeps an eye on the good young coaches they helped cultivate.  

Almost all colleges looking for a new coach now are contemplating hiring someone who played there or formerly coached there. This is not new.

I agree with Shep, but what Irish is saying is true. Yes, let’s get former players like Kuper who has massive experience outside of UND. Kings coaching experience outside of UND doesn’t amount to much. In this case it may have come down to salary. It’s hard to say not knowing. I know on paper there was more qualified candidates but could the staff lure them in with money that was available? 

2 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I'm not sure he was forced to do anything.  He made a choice.

There's no wonder we aren't hiring high end experienced coaches for these positions with a $40k salary.  Need to up our salary pool if we want to attract more experienced coaches.  That is on the administration - not Bubba.

Point #1: ummmmmmm.........no!

Point #2: spot on.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

The choice was Bubba's. The AD isn't dictating mandatory staffing moves. 

We must have different sources and connections. I'll stand by mine. It was not Bubba's choice alone.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Point #1: ummmmmmm.........no!

Point #2: spot on.

Pt #1 - conjecture or do you know it was dictated to Bubba?   I don't know for sure but knowing Bubba a little I think he made the decision on his own.  He gave Rudolf an extra year to right things but I believe that was a mistake. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

We must have different sources and connections. I'll stand by mine. It was not Bubba's choice alone.

Maybe but there was no ultimatum. Not that it mattered, there was no one against the decision but Bubba made the call not Chaves. 

What sort of issues do you get when the AD starts dictating staffing decisions? Pretty easy to push any failures back to the top when you do things like that.

6 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Maybe but there was no ultimatum. Not that it mattered, there was no one against the decision. 

What sort of issues do you get when the AD starts dictating staffing decisions? Pretty easy to push any failures back to the top when you do things like that.

Point #1: I think you are onto something here.

Point #2: Well Bubba still has a job so there's that.