SiouxSports.com Forum

UND - Northern Arizona Game Day Thread

SiouxFan100

For as bad as NAU played (yet somehow still won) yesterday, the Jacks had played worse in the previous three games. NAU's seniors were up for this game. NAU's 4th string QB, Porter, and 3rd string QB, Campiotti, who came in for relief made fewer mistakes than previous weeks. UND looked lethargic but I don't think it was just the elevation. 

If it makes you feel any better, this exact conversation about Bubba's mediocre coaching career in what NAU fans have had for years over Jerome's (Souers) coaching career in Flagstaff. An occasional 8-3 season but 5-6 or 6-5 more common. 

18 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Rudolph picking Kett does not mean he’s better than the others.

And if Rudolph had the authority and assignment to select the starter, then this program is even more turned around than we can possibly imagine.  Bubba is the CEO, should listen to the evalutations of his assistants, but the call to pick the starting QB has to be his and his alone.  That is not something you defer to a coordinator. 

2 hours ago, mtjack said:

For as bad as NAU played (yet somehow still won) yesterday, the Jacks had played worse in the previous three games. NAU's seniors were up for this game. NAU's 4th string QB, Porter, and 3rd string QB, Campiotti, who came in for relief made fewer mistakes than previous weeks. UND looked lethargic but I don't think it was just the elevation. 

If it makes you feel any better, this exact conversation about Bubba's mediocre coaching career in what NAU fans have had for years over Jerome's (Souers) coaching career in Flagstaff. An occasional 8-3 season but 5-6 or 6-5 more common. 

NAU probably looked better because of who they were playing. Tough to say, but UND looked like they gave up. 

1 hour ago, ep92501 said:

And if Rudolph had the authority and assignment to select the starter, then this program is even more turned around than we can possibly imagine.  Bubba is the CEO, should listen to the evalutations of his assistants, but the call to pick the starting QB has to be his and his alone.  That is not something you defer to a coordinator. 

It’s clear that this staff has completely botched, in every way possible, the most important position in all of sports. Great qb play can carry an offense pretty far. Haven’t had that in a LONG time. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

It’s clear that this staff has completely botched, in every way possible, the most important position in all of sports. Great qb play can carry an offense pretty far. Haven’t had that in a LONG time. 

#Cogswellcannon

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Feff said:

NAU probably looked better because of who they were playing. Tough to say, but UND looked like they gave up. 

Wonder if UND looked like they gave up because they were frustrated with the guy they voted to be captain not getting a shot in a game where it was clear Kett wasn't getting it done.  Putting Zimmerman in could have really given the team a shot in the arm.  Missed opportunity to change momentum in the game.  Very narrow minded decision by Bubba.

I wasn't able to watch the game this weekend. But from reading the comments today, I get the sense the program took a step backwards with the loss to NAU. Not to pile on, but I was impressed with Zimmerman against Montana last year as I said before; disappointing that he didn't take any meaningful snaps this year. But, it appears once Kett decided to come to UND it was his job going into the season no matter what. Bubba needs to know its okay to sub a guy out who may be struggling. Its not like the NFL where you pretty much have to trade or release the starting QB if you decide to make a switch during a game.

My other concerns is the injuries and our inability to finish games when we were leading late in the game. If UND wants to compete at the top of the pack in the Valley Conf., money needs to be found to fund a legit nutrition program; and the strength program needs to improve. I think we had speed guys on the roster being wasted and player development appears to still be an issue. Finally,  I heard there is no sled machines in the weight room. If true, that's astounding to me. Having a strong core and base means everything as the season progresses.

8 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

With an O line that protected him and the awesome defense.... great memories. So sad to read this stuff and really, really hope the program comes back. The MV looks tough... hope we are ready.

Speaking of a good passing pocket.....why is our QB so shallow and the pocket so small?  One missed blocked and Kett only has time for a duck and cover.  

14 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Speaking of a good passing pocket.....why is our QB so shallow and the pocket so small?  One missed blocked and Kett only has time for a duck and cover.  

QB sets up shallow because our route tree is not designed to have have guys run routes beyond 30 yards, so he is expected to get rid of ball quick which means he has to time to go threw progressions. The bad part, defenses can keep everyone within 15 yards of the LOS. which hurts the run game and nullifies the passing game.

3 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Kett kept getting shallower and locking in on Wanzek more and more as the season went on. 

Towards the end if the year: Kett drops back, is very shallow and isn’t very active with his feet so if pressure gets anywhere near him he ducks and covers. No awareness or escapability in the pocket.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

QB sets up shallow because our route tree is not designed to have have guys run routes beyond 30 yards, so he is expected to get rid of ball quick which means he has to time to go threw progressions. The bad part, defenses can keep everyone within 15 yards of the LOS. which hurts the run game and nullifies the passing game.

Well, that strategy sucks, then.  Every other team gives their QB a lot of space to make plays while we trust in a cozy little pocket that in a split second goes to hell.

2 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

Kett kept getting shallower and locking in on Wanzek more and more as the season went on. 

Towards the end if the year: Kett drops back, is very shallow and isn’t very active with his feet so if pressure gets anywhere near him he ducks and covers. No awareness or escapability in the pocket.

Ya, I noticed that. Shallow pocket, no escape, it looks like we have no idea what we are doing with a passing game.  10 points on Portland St, Eastern puts up 74......they might be onto something.

6 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

Why were people thinking Kett was going to be an all-conference type QB. He transferred from a Big Sky school that is not exactly a powerhouse because he couldn't win the starting job. And it wasn't like he was behind a Gubrud. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Ya, I noticed that. Shallow pocket, no escape, it looks like we have no idea what we are doing with a passing game.  10 points on Portland St, Eastern puts up 74......they might be onto something.

Kett started to notice the rush. It's hard but the QB has to be able to look past and ignore the rush. He didn't trust his blocking and his feet froze many times. Bubble screens and dump offs to the RB in the flat slows down the pass rush, but we didnt try much of that the last few weeks. Brady caught a nice one late against Portland State but it was a rare occurrence that we even attempted it. I know I am in the minority but Harris was faster that most of the other WRs. I think his skills could have stretched the field with a 6' 3" frame which could have help the passing game.

23 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

When we got the ball with less than a minute before the half, back around our own 15.......Maag was lined up wide right......short corner right up on him....looked like no help over the top with the safety more towards the other side Wanzek was on.  I was like......man.....just chuck it up to Maag.....Maag had probably 6 inches on that corner....and Maag is a stud.  Maag was lined up on our side so he was almost right in front of me....could easily see the height difference between him and the corner.   I mean I know Wanzek makes crazy catches and stuff.....but I really thought should have ran a go route down the sideline and thrown it up for Maag to make a play.  He did run that route but of course Kett threw the go route to Wanzek over on the left side and it was incomplete, think probably out of bounds.  

12 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

When we got the ball with less than a minute before the half, back around our own 15.......Maag was lined up wide right......short corner right up on him....looked like no help over the top with the safety more towards the other side Wanzek was on.  I was like......man.....just chuck it up to Maag.....Maag had probably 6 inches on that corner....and Maag is a stud.  Maag was lined up on our side so he was almost right in front of me....could easily see the height difference between him and the corner.   I mean know Wanzek makes crazy catches and stuff.....but I really thought should have ran a go route down the sideline and thrown it up for Maag to make a play.  He did run that route but of course Kett through the go route to Wanzek over on the left side and it was incomplete, think probably out of bounds.  

Good observation. I wonder if Kett has the autonomy to check off the "hot" receiver if he sees a mismatch?

4 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Why were people thinking Kett was going to be an all-conference type QB. He transferred from a Big Sky school that is not exactly a powerhouse because he couldn't win the starting job. And it wasn't like he was behind a Gubrud. 

He has the arm talent but is lacking in most other areas. QB’s haven’t developed well under Rudy so it’s not a surprise to most of us that he struggled. 

He kept getting worse and worse while continually getting less and less confident as the year went on. It was very depressing to watch

• Upvote 1