SiouxSports.com Forum

UND - Northern Arizona Game Day Thread

SiouxFan100

2 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Why were people thinking Kett was going to be an all-conference type QB. He transferred from a Big Sky school that is not exactly a powerhouse because he couldn't win the starting job. And it wasn't like he was behind a Gubrud. 

Can you find the posts where people were thinking he would be an all conference player?  Not sure anybody ever said that.  We did think he'd bring the ability to throw a better deep ball, which he did.  We did probably think he'd be better than he turned out to be, particularly the second half of the season.  Part of that of course is normal wishful thinking. 

Surprised you are able to type today, you know....figured you be so red faced and teary eyed from how you guys got "screwed over" in the bracket because you have to play the MVFC teams.  No need to worry about SDSU, they've never won a big game in their program history.  I'd rather have seen EWU or Weber State on your side of the bracket, likely a much tougher test for you.  

7 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

Good observation. I wonder if Kett has the autonomy to check off the "hot" receiver if he sees a mismatch?

He'd likely get yelled at, you know like Zimm did.  Zimm getting yelled at....to me was actually a good thing, because you should be able to do the opposite of what Rudy wants you to do if you see something better.   Or even if you don't....maybe just do the opposite of what Rudy wants you to do  :D

12 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

He'd likely get yelled at, you know like Zimm did.  Zimm getting yelled at....to me was actually a good thing, because you should be able to do the opposite of what Rudy wants you to do if you see something better.   Or even if you don't....maybe just do the opposite of what Rudy wants you to do  :D

A QB  needs to be able to improvise. If Zimm was getting yelled at for making plays that kills morale. Hell when i coached Pop Warner my QB had the ability to audible or switch the play from the strong side to weak side or vice versa if he saw something that was available by simply tapping his helmet or leg while making eye contact with his receivers and RBs.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

download.jpeg.7bff04bca4dc6894f85f3bc6562dc807.jpeg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mtjack said:

UND looked lethargic but I don't think it was just the elevation. 

I am very disappointed another university’s fan could notice UND’s lack of energy and enthusiasm. The guys weren’t ready to play in a huge game for UND football. That’s very, very disappointing. UND would be in the playoffs if they could’ve just focused, which is supposedly the very mantra of Bubba Scheweigert’s coaching style. 

9 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Ya, I noticed that. Shallow pocket, no escape, it looks like we have no idea what we are doing with a passing game.  10 points on Portland St, Eastern puts up 74......they might be onto something.

Yeah, that sequence of games right there demonstrated offensive ineptitude by UND. UND only scored 10 offensive points at home against Portland State.

UND’s passing game and QB play has been below average to terrible during all 5 of Bubba’s years as head coach. You can’t win like that unless the running game is well above average, which for UND, unfortunately, it is not. Many times this season UND’s patented running game stalled in key situations against poor teams (Idaho State, Idaho, Northern Arizona, etc.). 

8 hours ago, F'n Hawks said:

He has the arm talent but is lacking in most other areas. QB’s haven’t developed well under Rudy so it’s not a surprise to most of us that he struggled. 

He kept getting worse and worse while continually getting less and less confident as the year went on. It was very depressing to watch

No development with this QB coaching staff. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Yeah, that sequence of games right there demonstrated offensive ineptitude by UND. UND only scored 10 offensive points at home against Portland State.

UND’s passing game and QB play has been below average to terrible during all 5 of Bubba’s years as head coach. You can’t win like that unless the running game is well above average, which for UND, unfortunately, it is not. Many times this season UND’s patented running game stalled in key situations against poor teams (Idaho State, Idaho, Northern Arizona, etc.). 

It's like Bubba remembers the days of Division 2 football where UND could just push their way down the field 4 or 5 yards a crack.  There aren't many teams that are going to allow that to happen, especially when they know exactly what you are going to do.  That is the main problem, they are so vanilla that teams know what they are going to do, and when they are going to do it. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I am very disappointed another university’s fan could notice UND’s lack of energy and enthusiasm. The guys weren’t ready to play in a huge game for UND football. That’s very, very disappointing. UND would be in the playoffs if they could’ve just focused, which is supposedly the very mantra of Bubba Scheweigert’s coaching style. 

If it’s obvious to all of us that the offense is a disaster, do we really think it is not obvious to the players?  A penny for Santiago and Oliveras thoughts today.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Sioux95 said:

Wonder if UND looked like they gave up because they were frustrated with the guy they voted to be captain not getting a shot in a game where it was clear Kett wasn't getting it done.  Putting Zimmerman in could have really given the team a shot in the arm.  Missed opportunity to change momentum in the game.  Very narrow minded decision by Bubba.

Zimm's performance last year when he got in after Studs went down was the best Sioux QB performance I have seen in 4 years.  And talk was he and Kett were neck and neck through fall camp.  So the coaching staff road right along with Kett as he went down the cliff.  This is 100% on Bubba.  

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, ep92501 said:

Zimm's performance last year when he got in after Studs went down was the best Sioux QB performance I have seen in 4 years.  And talk was he and Kett were neck and neck through fall camp.  So the coaching staff road right along with Kett as he went down the cliff.  This is 100% on Bubba.  

11-20 for 179 and 2 TD is the best performance you have seen in the last 4 years? Come on...... I get you're a big AZ fan by all your posts and you apparently have some sort of grudge against the staff (maybe just a coincidence to the first part) but not even close.

I actually think AZ (or Boltman) probably could have provided a spark in the last game as he has a tendency to take chances and what they were doing wasn't working but then again, when you have 3-4 defenders in your face before you've even completed your drop-back or hand-off, it doesn't really matter who's under center.

And just because the recently removed OC said the QB's were neck and neck doesn't mean all coaches felt the same way or that it was anything more than coach-speak. 

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

11-20 for 179 and 2 TD is the best performance you have seen in the last 4 years? Come on...... I get you're a big AZ fan by all your posts and you apparently have some sort of grudge against the staff (maybe just a coincidence to the first part) but not even close.

I actually think AZ (or Boltman) probably could have provided a spark in the last game as he has a tendency to take chances and what they were doing wasn't working but then again, when you have 3-4 defenders in your face before you've even completed your drop-back or hand-off, it doesn't really matter who's under center.

And just because the recently removed OC said the QB's were neck and neck doesn't mean all coaches felt the same way or that it was anything more than coach-speak. 

I believe Zimm's stats in that game were for the second half, correct?  If so, do the math.  And it's not just all about stats.  You could see then entire offense spark up when they finally saw a guy with the ability to get the ball down the field.

I'm not a big fan of Zimm's any more than I am of any other player, I'm a fan of the Fighting Hawks.  I simply want to see the team win.  My post wasn't just about the last game, go back several weeks and see what I said then.

My grudge about the staff is that they are knuckle heads starting at the top.  The second half of the season speaks for itself.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2