SiouxSports.com Forum

UND - Northern Arizona Game Day Thread

SiouxFan100

17 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

If I had a nickel for every time I tell someone that I went to UND who immediately responded with, “you Bison have an awesome football team up there,” I’d be a rich man.  

They knew who UND was when we had the fighting Sioux logo...... now no one recognizes us. Very seldom do I get a Sioux ya ya when I am traveling compared to 5 years ago.

4 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

False.  I've lived in both Colorado and Michigan and there are definitely college hockey fans in these states.  Plus the entire New England region.  In the NCAA world football is bigger.  In the UND world hockey is and always will be bigger.

That is where you are really wrong.  Nationally NDSU football dwarfs UND hockey.   Those are just the facts.  No reason UND football cant do the same.

3 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

False.  I've lived in both Colorado and Michigan and there are definitely college hockey fans in these states.  Plus the entire New England region.  In the NCAA world football is bigger.  In the UND world hockey is and always will be bigger.

But not women's hockey, which is what a few dumb posts have attempted to claim. Post a dumb opinion on a sports forum and it's going to get sh*t on.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Again I love UND hockey but venture out of Minnesota or North Dakota and mention collegiate hockey and you will get a blank stare 99% of the time.

We’re hosting 3 17-18 year old junior hockey players from Ohio, Florida, and Finland, respectively.  It didn’t take long after billet family introductions to chat Fighting Sioux hockey.  But I suppose that’s anecdotal too... 

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

But not women's hockey, which is what a few dumb posts have attempted to claim. Post a dumb opinion on a sports forum and it's going to get sh*t on.

Great post.  I’d suggest a moderator take a look at it, but, hey, I believe you ARE one...

1 minute ago, MafiaMan said:

We’re hosting 3 17-18 year old junior hockey players from Ohio, Florida, and Finland, respectively.  It didn’t take long after billet family introductions to chat Fighting Sioux hockey.  But I suppose that’s anecdotal too... 

But are they on your broomball team?

• Upvote 2

Just now, MafiaMan said:

Again I love hockey and UND hockey but to compare UND hockey and NDSU football national recognition to the average sports fan is silly.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

The last time I looked the flagship sport looks again like a mid tier team this year and the Ralph is now struggling to sell out the arena. The anti hockey crowd should be careful what they wish for. 

Anti football posters  brought up WIH. Anyone with a brain knows WIH was at such a low level that even football couldn’t stoop that low.

2 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I'd hope junior hockey players are aware of the teams in the leagues they hope to someday play in. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Sioux>Bison said:

The last time I looked the flagship sport looks again like a mid tier team this year and the Ralph is now struggling to sell out the arena. The anti hockey crowd should be careful what they wish for. 

Anti football posters  brought up WIH. Anyone with a brain knows WIH was at such a low level that even football couldn’t stoop that low.

For the record, I am NOT anti-football and pro womens hockey.  I  was very much in favor of shutting down the womens program but am sick and tired of being slightly below Dickinson State University in terms of football program familiarity around the country.

2 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

So you’re saying that some junior hockey players are aware of a successful college hockey program? And that they represent the general population of their respective states? 

4 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

For the record, I am NOT anti-football and pro womens hockey.  I  was very much in favor of shutting down the womens program but am sick and tired of being slightly below Dickinson State University in terms of football program familiarity around the country.

Please stop while you can still save some face.

2 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

They are hockey players and junior players?  Really?  That is your sample?

What’s yours, tough guy?  You think a college football fan of Texas, Alabama, or Ohio State can tell the difference between NDSU and UND football?