SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

This thread dam near came to a screeching halt over the long Memorial Day Weekend, but some of  the tough guys came back on line and even SD is helping again.  These next 10 days could explode this thread into a 100 pages by the next 10 days, hopefully it's about good news and then we start a process of unifying our fan base!

Could there also be HPC phase II news in the coming days?

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

fun thing about this meeting is we will know who won when the new floor is painted soon....hawk means kennedy...north dakota means engelstad mcgarry.  i'm thinking a hawk will on the floor in the next three weeks

This.......^^^^. 

Betty logo was probably negotiated on the premise MK would not bring out the handcuffs and make citizen's arrest on McGarry for allowing the REA to pillage and steal from the FB program.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

This thread dam near came to a screeching halt over the long Memorial Day Weekend, but some of  the tough guys came back on line and even SD is helping again.  These next 10 days could explode this thread into a 100 pages by the next 10 days, hopefully it's about good news and then we start a process of unifying our fan base!

Could there also be HPC phase II news in the coming days?

Least we all were made aware today that the Michigan St. mascot was a Trojan............... :blink:

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

fun thing about this meeting is we will know who won when the new floor is painted soon....hawk means kennedy...north dakota means engelstad mcgarry.  i'm thinking a hawk will on the floor in the next three weeks

I heard there will be no logo, just North Dakota

1 hour ago, Milford torgerson said:

To sum it up, a skilled team of ars kissers was sent in to diffuse the situation and Pres did as he was told

Maybe they had to play nice for now...doesn't mean they won't eventually get what they want.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, coachdags said:

I heard there will be no logo, just North Dakota

Not a shocker that they wouldn’t do that. What will be a shocker to them is what happens when UND takes control in twelve years. Hawk logos everywhere. 

9 hours ago, Milford torgerson said:

To sum it up, a skilled team of ars kissers was sent in to diffuse the situation and Pres did as he was told

MK was a successful businessman and elected politician before venturing into academia, I think he's handled more than a few of similar situations with "investors" or "donors". I'm thinking he knew what he needed out of the meeting and walked away just fine with how it went.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

MK was a successful businessman and elected politician before venturing into academia, I think he's handled more than a few of similar situations with "investors" or "donors". I'm thinking he knew what he needed out of the meeting and walked away just fine with how it went.

He did walk away. Accourding to reports

He made introductions...genuflected, bent the knee... and softly limped away with his tail between his legs, and left the negotiations to others....

Which in truth maybe shows an improvement in judgement on his part.

If they really came together on a contract that truely benefits all UND athletics, expect the terms to reflect an increased REA responsibility in managing a larger portion of the athletics budget.

I've seen that technique before, namely, when one person knows they are a disruptive or distracting influence in a negotiation they step out. I had a boss do that to me one time. It works. The other side feels like they've won (got "that person") out of the room before they even start talking. 

In my case I'd been briefed on "musts and wants". Before excusing themself, my boss explained they had been called to their boss' office (a bit of a fib) and that I would have to stand in as negotiator, but I had full authority to make decisions. I walked out with all the musts and about half the wants and yet the other side thought they'd hornswaggled me. ;) 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Exactly.  Many moving parts to this, very complex situation. 

8 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

If they really came together on a contract that truely benefits all UND athletics, expect the terms to reflect an increased REA responsibility in managing a larger portion of the athletics budget.

Why? How have they helped the football team with their current share of the ticket revenue, and how would their managing a larger portion of the budget help them in the future? 

Basically, Kennedy flew out to Vegas, made introductions and left the discussions to the adults.  The end result of the discussions is the North Dakota logo stays at center court and UND thanks the mega-donor foundation and family for helping them navigate this thorny issue.  Someone at NDUS decided to get involved and establish what was going to happen IMHO.  I'm hoping the REA extends the facility management contract further as I'm confident once UND and NDUS get control of the building it will become a huge property tax boondoogle for the city to support the building (see TRF experience). Especially since UND can't manage the money they have now and with ND looking at making even more cuts to Higher Ed funding....

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, BobIwabuchiFan said:

Basically, Kennedy flew out to Vegas, made introductions and left the discussions to the adults.  The end result of the discussions is the North Dakota logo stays at center court and UND thanks the mega-donor foundation and family for helping them navigate this thorny issue.  Someone at NDUS decided to get involved and establish what was going to happen IMHO.  I'm hoping the REA extends the facility management contract further as I'm confident once UND and NDUS get control of the building it will become a huge property tax boondoogle for the city to support the building (see TRF experience). Especially since UND can't manage the money they have now and with ND looking at making even more cuts to Higher Ed funding....

Is this what you have heard happened or just speculation? Thanks for the clarification.

4 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Why? How have they helped the football team with their current share of the ticket revenue, and how would their managing a larger portion of the budget help them in the future? 

Who knows how much better off the FB program could have been if their budget had been managed better?  Might even have won a few more games, or been able to afford a logo at midfield?

I believe that the REA has, does, and could, manage the budget and planning better than the UND has in the past, and although the previous comment is obviously (unless the reader is a complete idiot) tongue in cheek, we will be able to judge exactly how capable the Chaves led department is over the course of the RR  golf land and HPC2 process. 

What's the hardest thing in the world to do? Trust. 

What do leaders do? Hand over responsibilities and expectations and then trust people to achieve. 

Kennedy walking out of that room tells me he understood the situation (he'd become a distraction) and trusted his people to get what he came for. 

We'll find out one way or another when "the ink dries". 

• Upvote 2