SiouxSports.com Forum

Summit League MBB

20 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Was considering making the 200 mile drive, but teams are weak and weather is iffy. Do they still have a ticket system that favors SD fans?

Yes and no.  I mean, the fact that the tournament has been in Sioux Falls for 11 years certainly is more convenient for SD fans.  Some Summit fans like to complain about that, and I would say too bad.  SF has supported it, and it's $ucce$$ful.

Some might complain that the Jacks fans have taken it over, providing an unfair advantage, and I'd also say that argument is BS.  The Jacks fans have had the same access to tickets as anyone else, and they have chosen to commit to it.  Too bad.

The thing that I would argue is that All-session pass holders having first option on renewal, and also the selling of 2-year passes with first option renewal has had a chilling affect on any fan base that wants to try to grow a presence at the tournament.  That's not the Jacks fans' fault.  They are just supporting their teams and supporting the tournament.  I don't know if that ticketing model is used at other conference tourneys or not.  Someone on here said that was how the Hockey tourney is. 

I'm sure that strategy is wildly successful at making money.  I just wish the Summit would make an effort to involve out-of state fan bases more, and get them to grow their presence at the tournament.  partition off some lower bowl sections for each team, Make it easier to get there with travel packages, or something.  To me, the more out-of-state fans you can involve, and get to travel to SF the better.  Like a tourism thing.

Us Yote fans really have no excuse to not have a large presence there, but it's still a struggle.  Mostly because you have to plan ahead and commit to the all-session passes if you want to get half-decent seats.  Just my two cents.

For those of you that have purchased all-session passes, but would like to improve your location, I believe you can ask to be placed on a waiting list, FYI.  There are some pass-holders that choose not to renew every year.  Also, there are a lot of individual game tickets on the secondary market (Craigslist et al.), but they go fast for some sessions.

Since the Horizon-Summit showdown can start next year, the Big Sky schools can be moving over this spring.

W Illinois will be retained for at least a year and then replaced by Augie.  PUFW and Robert Morris to the Horizon for a 12x12 challenge.  ORU to the WAC as a travel partner for UMKC.

WIU to the OVC when Augie comes in.

29 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

A fan of ladder brackets like the WCC has.  A #1 seed shouldn’t be playing the #8.  Winning the regular season should mean something.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_West_Coast_Conference_Men's_Basketball_Tournament

Well they get a night off if they win and play on what is pretty much a home court....SDSU is getting plenty. 

25 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

A fan of ladder brackets like the WCC has.  A #1 seed shouldn’t be playing the #8.  Winning the regular season should mean something.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_West_Coast_Conference_Men's_Basketball_Tournament

It does. It means you get to play the worst team.   And get an extra day of rest against you semifinal opponent. That's plenty. 

48 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The one benefit of this could potentially your #1 seed getting a better chance of getting to the Dance.