SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-19 Season

bounce

2 hours ago, TheFlop said:

It is an interesting dynamic that on the UND hockey team, anytime a solid/star player leaves early to better himself he is still revered.......while on the UND basketball team the player that leaves early to attempt the same thing is ridiculed.  

Would your hockey guy be revered if he left early to play college hockey at say . . . Minnesota.   See the difference?

I can understand the frustration of a fan seeing Geno leave, but I think it's best to just wish him well and hope he is successful in his next venture.  I would have loved seeing him play his last year for UND, but it isn't in the cards and we need to move on and cheer for the rest of the team that is here.

Good luck Geno!

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, Hambone said:

I can understand the frustration of a fan seeing Geno leave, but I think it's best to just wish him well and hope he is successful in his next venture.  I would have loved seeing him play his last year for UND, but it isn't in the cards and we need to move on and cheer for the rest of the team that is here.

Good luck Geno!

I think frustration is what sums it up for most fans.  It just seems odd that during college when you make lifelong friends that you would leave for a one and done scenario when professional opportunities wouldn't really improve.  I certainly can see if you are looking at different educational opportunities, but you would think that a bonding experience such as the trip to the NCAA last year would really make leaving your friends for another school difficult without those opportunities.  But as you say, hope he does well and is an impact player for the team he chooses, because that would reflect well on our level of basketball. 

8 minutes ago, tnt said:

I think frustration is what sums it up for most fans.  It just seems odd that during college when you make lifelong friends that you would leave for a one and done scenario when professional opportunities wouldn't really improve.  I certainly can see if you are looking at different educational opportunities, but you would think that a bonding experience such as the trip to the NCAA last year would really make leaving your friends for another school difficult without those opportunities.  But as you say, hope he does well and is an impact player for the team he chooses, because that would reflect well on our level of basketball. 

Someone other than me said it best.... it feels so good to be recruited. Some just need to revive that feeling again. 

53 minutes ago, tnt said:

Add in the fact that he actually hasn't even graduated yet and is apparently going to have to work pretty hard just to do so this summer and I think your comment is pretty spot on. 

This is interesting to me because I agree with a lot of what people on the board are saying both ways.  For me, the bottom line is that Geno needs to do what he thinks is best for him and his future.  Right or wrong it is for him to decide and the current rules allow for it to happen.  It is unfortunate that loyalty to a school, program, and coach is largely a thing of the past.  

46 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Seems to be a trend. Best get use to it.

We are used to it. But in this case he is going out of his way to try to be a big-time grad transfer when it really doesn't apply, in my opinion. 19 credits... really?  Joke.

26 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

he is going out of his way to try to be a big-time grad transfer when it really doesn't apply.

What does that even mean?

He wants to play somewhere else just like Berstine, Shanks, and Jones.

No need to get hell bent because of it.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Cratter said:

What does that even mean?

He wants to play somewhere else just like Berstine, Shanks, and Jones.

No need to get hell bent because of it.

Sorry, Dad.  If you would look into the back story of it you would realize why people see it as a farce.  He wouldn't even be in this position if not for the entire coaching staff holding his hand for 4 years.  

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Sorry, Dad.  If you would look into the back story of it you would realize why people see it as a farce.  He wouldn't even be in this position if not for the entire coaching staff holding his hand for 4 years.  

Youre mad cause the coaching staff helped a UND basketball player get better (on and off the court)?

That's their job, Son.

You should be happy the staff did such a good job.

Just like for Berstine, Shanks, and now Crandall.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to move away from Geno for a bit and focus on the current roster for this post. 

With Geno gone, it means that, more than likely, that Marlon and Cortez will lock down the 1 and 2 spots in the lineup. Could be beneficial to Cortez has he will be playing his natural position at the 2.  Brown and Moody, I would suspect, would back them up  with Panoam taking the minutes that Tray had last year. 

What will be interesting now is who will start at the 3 spot in the line up.  Jones MO has been to play 3 guards, (Webb/Anderson/Huff, Q/Geno/Corey, Geno/Marlon/Seales).  What I would like to see is either Saddler or McCauley get the nod to start and whoever doesn't will back him up.  It would be a better lineup over starting Brown (which I have a bad inkling in the pit of my stomach that Jones is going to lean in that direction to stick with his traditional 3 guards who can handle the ball).

Nothing changes at the 4/5 spots in the lineup.  Jal and Avants start, Marko and Walter back them up. 

This means that the incoming players need to be more than ready to contribute IMMEDIATELY and now puts more pressure on Marlon and Seales to have big summers to be ready to lead this team. Marlon and Seales better be ready and comfortable shooting 3's.

Right now this is a midpack to lower Summit league team.  Too many question marks at the forward spot outside of Avants and you don't easily replace what Geno brought to the table.   

9 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Youre mad cause the coaching staff helped a UND basketball player get better (on and off the court)?

That's their job, Son.

Don't think you understand. 

13 minutes ago, Cratter said:

That's their job, Son.

Maybe they just don't think it's fair to the program that he wanted to openly lead them on through at least the end of the summer just in case his Plan A of taking a bunch of credits to graduated didn't work and all the while having UND hold his scholarship for him just in case (instead of recruit someone who would be here in the fall to help the team).

Bernstine and Shanks actually graduated in May and made their moves known right away. Situation is completely different.

Jones isn't a comparison either. He had an injury riddled past and the staff at Iowa told him he would get more minutes finding somewhere else to play. Again, completely different.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I'm going to move away from Geno for a bit and focus on the current roster for this post. 

With Geno gone, it means that, more than likely, that Marlon and Cortez will lock down the 1 and 2 spots in the lineup. Could be beneficial to Cortez has he will be playing his natural position at the 2.  Brown and Moody, I would suspect, would back them up  with Panoam taking the minutes that Tray had last year. 

What will be interesting now is who will start at the 3 spot in the line up.  Jones MO has been to play 3 guards, (Webb/Anderson/Huff, Q/Geno/Corey, Geno/Marlon/Seales).  What I would like to see is either Saddler or McCauley get the nod to start and whoever doesn't will back him up.  It would be a better lineup over starting Brown (which I have a bad inkling in the pit of my stomach that Jones is going to lean in that direction to stick with his traditional 3 guards who can handle the ball).

Nothing changes at the 4/5 spots in the lineup.  Jal and Avants start, Marko and Walter back them up. 

This means that the incoming players need to be more than ready to contribute IMMEDIATELY and now puts more pressure on Marlon and Seales to have big summers to be ready to lead this team. Marlon and Seales better be ready and comfortable shooting 3's.

Right now this is a midpack to lower Summit league team.  Too many question marks at the forward spot outside of Avants and you don't easily replace what Geno brought to the table.   

Pretty frustrating  that we have a lost/rebuilding season before we even start. How are fans supposed to get excited when we don't have a chance going in. We don't reload - we hope for one good year out of four.

11 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Pretty frustrating  that we have a lost/rebuilding season before we even start. How are fans supposed to get excited when we don't have a chance going in. We don't reload - we hope for one good year out of four.

If you want a silver lining, outside of SDSU, can you tell me who the 2nd best team in that conference is? The gap between 1 and 2 is larger between 2 and 8 (I have Omaha pegged dead last). I just have far too many questions about this team to put them any higher.  Maybe they do come together, the freshman bigs are as advertised, Marlon and Cortez take big steps and it leads them to a top half finish. 

SDSU is going to buzzsaw through this season, I wouldn't be shocked if they run the table in conference play. 

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Maybe they just don't think it's fair to the program that he wanted to openly lead them on through at least the end of the summer just in case his Plan A of taking a bunch of credits to graduated didn't work and all the while having UND hold his scholarship for him just in case (instead of recruit someone who would be here in the fall to help the team).

Bernstine and Shanks actually graduated in May and made their moves known right away. Situation is completely different.

Jones isn't a comparison either. He had an injury riddled past and the staff at Iowa told him he would get more minutes finding somewhere else to play. Again, completely different.

So if he would have let them know in late May he would have been fine but early June he screwed them over???