SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Union - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

8 hours ago, OETKB said:

Perhaps in the 2nd period, but certainly not  for the full game.  UND looked decent tonight.  Had a lot of sustained O-zone time in all periods.  But, Union transitioned well, and executed when they had chances.  UND has to stop gifting the puck with blind cross-ice passes or passes that are too hard for the D to handle.

Other than the first period (friday night) we dominated too.  Weren’t the shots 2-1.  I mean, Friday night they got an empty net, lucky break away while we were over committed in the ozone and another where our goalie was out for lunch.  So we out shot them 2-1 and dominated possession.  Last night they out shot us and possession was 50/50.  2nd period was beyond terrible.  Last night felt like another loss (and a very boring game) outside of the gersich shorty.

I'll sum up my feelings on both games in this post. They definitely weren't as sharp as they could be on Friday, but overall, I didn't think they looked that bad. It reminded me of a game that would end their season in March / April. Outplay their opponent, but just can't bury the puck. In fact, I thought they had much better opportunities on Friday than Saturday. This year, I'll still say they've only had two games where I thought they played terrible (1) St. Lawrence Saturday (2) CC Friday, these two games wouldn't go under that category. 

The tie on Saturday was important, I just think we can mark this weekend up to (1) Opponents goalie > UND's goalie (2) No puck luck -- I actually thought Thome played well on Saturday, but Friday was the first time since Thome has been in, when I thought having Cam play might have made a difference. 

UND proved last weekend that they can play with and beat the best, now they just have to work on consistency. 

43 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

I want to know what happened when I think it was poganski who got taken down pretty much by the face behind our net with the ref RIGHT THERE, HOW IS THAT NOT A PENALTY?????

One word.........Anderson.

BTW........looks like he got some pre-holiday work done again. How much Botox and filler can one man's face indur? 

32 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

I want to know what happened when I think it was poganski who got taken down pretty much by the face behind our net with the ref RIGHT THERE, HOW IS THAT NOT A PENALTY?????

I think it's time for Berry to get vocal about the officiating.  Two weekends in a row that's been atrocious officiating. I remember that play with pogo from last night and was screaming at the tv.  There also was one that Simonson was interfered with away from the puck that kept him from getting a rebound opportunity. 

• Downvote 1

This team has to get some consistent offensive production from the 12 forwards that take the ice. Last 3 games (0-2-1) UND has scored 4 goals. 3 of the 4 have been scored by defensemen. 

19-14-22 combo doesn't work. Granted 19 scored last night but those 3 have been flat out bad for most of the season. Need to start getting something from the the 2 Euros too. 8, 18 and 16 show flashes offensively. 29...not so much. 7 IMO has upside offensively due to his speed. Getting Bowen's motor back will help too. 

3 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

Yes, lets all blame the officiating even though the forward core was able to muster one goal all weekend. Weak argument.

Remember the days when we b*tched about the WCHA officials and couldn't wait for a move to the new conference so that problem was fixed?  Yea, me too...

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

Yes, lets all blame the officiating even though the forward core was able to muster one goal all weekend. Weak argument.

I’m not putting all the blame on the refs but when they’re not calling stuff they’re supposed to that’s beyond old. How are you supposed to play the game with more discipline when you don’t know what penalty is? One thing isnt a penalty for the other team but it’s a penalty for you, that works.And the more irritating thing about it is nothing will be said about it because Barry has more class than that. So the NCHC or whoever it is is just going to keep screwing the Sioux over!

I think it's getting tougher and tougher to prepare for what kind of officiating you are going to get.  Complete opposite end of the spectrum from last weekend to this weekend.

UND plays like Union in Denver and they are killing interference penalties all weekend.  Fast forward and Union slows things down WCHA style and is given a free pass all weekend.

By no means did the officials cost UND wins this weekend.....but consistency with what is called would be nice from weekend to weekend. 

34 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

I'm not blaming the officials. Simply commenting on them. The members of the UND hockey team weren't the only ones struggling with their assignments this weekend. 

23 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

Was Hoff benched or injured last night? 

From the way it looked to me he was benched. As was Adams apparently. I was a little puzzled that Berry had the Smith-Simo-Rieger line out the pretty much the whole 3rd period and overtime. Also not trying to bash the kid but the fact that Johnson sees the ice over Keirstad has me scratching my head.

6 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

So we want more opportunities to watch our train wreck of a power play?

Do you think there would have been as much interference if the standard had been set early on Friday that you can't interfere?  Officiating affects more than just power plays. By not calling an interference penalty or 2 early on, the refs signaled interference is fair game. 

33 minutes ago, SiouxCrioux1 said:

From the way it looked to me he was benched. As was Adams apparently. I was a little puzzled that Berry had the Smith-Simo-Rieger line out the pretty much the whole 3rd period and overtime. Also not trying to bash the kid but the fact that Johnson sees the ice over Keirstad has me scratching my head.

No disrespect to those three there, but we're probably not going to score a game winning goal with them more often then not. They play hard and provide some energy and I appreciate what they do, but... 

3 hours ago, Emerald joker said:

I was at the game lower level behind that play and I couldn't believe it wasn't called, especially in light that a ref was looking right at it. Like, WTH's going on out there?!  Reminded me of the Vikes game vs Det when Diggs was mugged on the long pass downfield before the ball arrived yet a ref looking right at it made no call. 

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

This team has to get some consistent offensive production from the 12 forwards that take the ice. Last 3 games (0-2-1) UND has scored 4 goals. 3 of the 4 have been scored by defensemen. 

19-14-22 combo doesn't work. Granted 19 scored last night but those 3 have been flat out bad for most of the season. Need to start getting something from the the 2 Euros too. 8, 18 and 16 show flashes offensively. 29...not so much. 7 IMO has upside offensively due to his speed. Getting Bowen's motor back will help too. 

Ditto/spot on, we need more scoring from our forwards (especially sophs thru seniors).  They were certainly not all recruited as "muckers", some need to ramp  up their production.  Believe d-men Wolanin and Poolman are among our top goal scorers and point producers, which does not reflect well on the production of some of our forwards.    

Here's my solution: don't put the three forwards who SHOULD be leading this team offensively but aren't (19, 22, 14 )on the same line. You separate them. All three. Don't put two on one line and the other on another. Put one on the first, one on the second, and one on the third. Putting three guys who haven't been producing as often as they should on the same line is a terrible idea. 

Technically Gersich and Gardner are tied for 5th in scoring on this team behind Wolanin, Mismash, Jones and Poolman, but we all expected more from 19, 22 and 14 and that's the problem. Either they need to step up or we put other guys in a position to succeed instead.

The other thing that getting the injured guys back will do is create some internal competition that we haven't had in a few weeks at forward since we've had to use everyone. Make everyone earn there spots, because there were definitely a few forwards that would be in the stands if we had people to replace them with.

Side note: Matt Kiersted has 2 goals on 7 shots this season. He should shoot the puck more. :lol:

22 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

Ditto/spot on, we need more scoring from our forwards (especially sophs thru seniors).  They were certainly not all recruited as "muckers", some need to ramp  up their production.  Believe d-men Wolanin and Poolman are among our top goal scorers and point producers, which does not reflect well on the production of some of our forwards.    

In addition, we seemed to really struggle at puck handling and passing (with a few exceptions) this weekend.  We need more skill up front.