SiouxSports.com Forum

FIRE RUDOLPH

geaux_sioux

49 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

How much of this season is Rudolph and how much is the tons of injuries? Would we be on top of the conference if we had an injury free team or would we still be in the hurt bag with Rudolph’s playcalling? 

Could we have been towards or on the top of the conference with Rudolph calling plays this season, yes (assuming that the no injuries stipulation includes no injuries on OL and OL being able to run block)   Are there better OC's out there that could get even more out of our offense and still be a time possession based offense, yes.  

• Upvote 1

I believe you will definitely see a new O-line coach. I know Bubba has been hearing  comments similar to those  on this blog about a change in OC.  I don't believe in changing anything until season is over and then changes should be made right away to get new people in and part of the recruiting process.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, BigGame said:

First of all it wastes his time during a very busy time of year for him.  Second do you actually think Bubba is going to take into consideration what random fans think when they have little actual information about what is happening in the football offices.  If you want to email maybe save it for the end of the season but it is still a waste because as fans we don't know or have the expertise to discuss the topic with him.  I would bet Bubba has people in the football profession he trusts and can ask if he wants an educated opinion on the topic.  If Rudolph gets fire it isn't happening now, it will be the end of the season and it will not be decided because some message board titans spams his email inbox.  

Considering how the game plan never changes, he can't be THAT busy.  

I jest...  Not emailing him.  Rudolph still sucks though.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Okay, I'll just leave this here:

bubba.schweigert@athletics.und.edu

Please be polite and courteous, but don't be afraid to tell Bubba why you think Rudolph is the wrong choice to run the offense.

18 hours ago, BigGame said:

That is a horrible idea, lets all spam the head coach in hopes he will fire the OC.  

@fightingsioux4life didn't post anything that a person couldn't find him or herself in a 3 second search on the UND Athletic Department home page.  What's the big deal?  

• Upvote 1

Not a big deal, just isn't a good idea to harass coaches in season because you all can't get over yourselves and think what a random fan thinks about his staff matters to him.  If he would choose to fire someone based upon fan emails then he really shouldn't be a head coach anyway.    

14 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Considering how the game plan never changes, he can't be THAT busy.  

I jest...  Not emailing him.  Rudolph still sucks though.

Yeah email him at the end of the season but I still don't think it will do anything to help him decide whether or not to fire someone on the staff.  He isn't that type of person from my dealings with him, but I haven't talked with him in a long while.  

14 hours ago, TRex said:

How much latitude do our QB's have when it comes to play calling?    Is everything signaled in from the sideline?

The QB always has the last word.  Doesn't matter what the coach calls if the QB reads a different defense or disagrees with the call he should change the call. If he isn't a wwell establisehed QB and doesn't have a good relationship with the OC and head coach he may end up on the bench. 

14 hours ago, iramurphy said:

I believe you will definitely see a new O-line coach. I know Bubba has been hearing  comments similar to those  on this blog about a change in OC.  I don't believe in changing anything until season is over and then changes should be made right away to get new people in and part of the recruiting process.

My assumption is that Bubba is always evaluating his staff and he will look at the entire picture when he decided to retain or let people go.  

I am not on the bash Rudolph bandwagon but it seems every game we have a some absolute head scratcher play calls.  Maybe he is trying to be clever and it doesn't work because that does happen with all OC's sometimes but it seems to happen a lot.  Like the draw on 3rd and 10 which he has called plays like that in the past and it has worked but I didn't like the call because the passing game looked pretty good at that point and the run game not so much. 

You can run the football without being a true power running team but it requires a real threat in the passing game which UND doesn't really have.  The WR's have gotten better the last few years but I don't think we have played a team in which the opposing coach would be willing to trade WR groups if you asked them.  Rudolph did adjust the running game some by putting more zone read (not certain it is an actually read) so allowing the QB to run.  I would run Brady and JJ and just put John out in the slot because as explosive as Santiago is it seems he makes a big play or loses yards and in any offense it is tough to get out of 2nd or 3rd and long consistently.    If the offensive line play and blocking by everyone in general was better I would revise my opinion about John in the backfield.  

19 hours ago, darell1976 said:

How much of this season is Rudolph and how much is the tons of injuries? Would we be on top of the conference if we had an injury free team or would we still be in the hurt bag with Rudolph’s playcalling? 

They did manage to run off 9 straight including going 8-0 in conference last year with him calling plays....

9 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

That had alot more to do with the defense leading the nation in takeaways than it did our offense. Our offense cost us the playoff game. 

The offense put up 24 points and didn't turn the ball over. Pretty big stretch to claim that loss was all on them. The team had a 17 point lead in the 3rd quarter. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

The offense put up 24 points and didn't turn the ball over. Pretty big stretch to claim that loss was all on them. The team had a 17 point lead in the 3rd quarter. 

We started out well. The majority of the second half was a disaster. 

UND   3rd  H46  08:12  Punt  V36  04:46     Punt  7-18  3:26    
UND   3rd  H19  00:15  Kickoff  H35  12:55     Punt  4-16  2:20    
UND   4th  H27  10:20  Kickoff  H32  09:22     Punt  3-5  0:58    
UND   4th  H17  05:18  Kickoff  H38  03:00     Punt  5-21 

2:18 

7 minutes ago, SkoHawks said:

Not really feasible probably, but I'd be interested in Freund calling plays using rudolphs playbook for rest of the year....would be a hell of a way to evaluate Rudolph. Lol

There is only so many various formations one can use to run off tackle on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down...........

• Upvote 1

Some people keep referring to last years success and how it’s the same offense, same playbook. Right, it is. And I agree with some that the defense played a huge role in last years success. But what is being missed in all of this is that we don’t have the same players as last year. And we didn’t have the injuries last year like we do now. So yes, same offense, but as a play caller, you can’t expect a less experienced group to perform the same. You can use the same playbook, but you have to alter it to the talent you have available. That’s where I’m fed up with the playcalling. It isn’t the actual plays themselves, it’s the manner in which they are used. Those are the changes an OC has to be able to make, and Rudolph clearly hasn’t done that. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

That had alot more to do with the defense leading the nation in takeaways than it did our offense. Our offense and Kostich cost us the playoff game. 

FYP     Blocked punt and running into the kicker......were a huge part of it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ibleedgreen said:

How about anyone that is not part of UND's past and present? We need the next Craig Bohl....

I don't disagree with your sentiment, but I'd prefer not getting someone who came with Bohl's off-field baggage at the time. Hell, he wasn't even NDSU's first choice, Terry Allen was.

Just now, jdub27 said:

I don't disagree with your sentiment, but I'd prefer not getting someone who came with Bohl's off-field baggage at the time. Hell, he wasn't even NDSU's first choice, Terry Allen was.

Bohl's "off-field baggage" is looking pretty good right about now. Looks like Bubba is recruiting more kids with "off-field baggage" than Bohl was at that time...