SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Minnesota

AZSIOUX

Minnesota's injuries to Sheehy (especially) and Reedy are ones to watch. It was nice to see some goals finally yesterday, but given they were so hard to come by the first three games, I'll go with a split. The big X factor is special teams and will be all year, against solid teams, they have to be at least even with their opponents. I bet one of the nights UND loses, their PP with go 0-fer and Minnesota will get a couple. 

3 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

Come out with a win Friday and go from there. Split will do, a sweep would be unreal at the Ralph. 

Wouldn't mind returning the favor from last year with at least a win and a tie.  That would give us a little extra for the pairwise should they have a slip at Wisconsin or another non-conference series.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, AJS said:

Watched the Gophers game today, thought they looked good, especially being down three of their best forwards. Going to be a tough test for UND, going to stick with my split prediction. 

Both team looked bad on different days. If they played Saturday Penn State probably gets the win.

Based on Lucia’s hyperbole several years ago regarding the UND/Minnesota series, I was surprised that they resumed playing one another. Did Lucia have a change of heart or did he see the writing on the wall and want this to benefit the Minnesota program? To me, it seems like a series they need much more than we do IMO. 

• Upvote 1

I hope our new guys other than Mismash and Kiersted are brought up to speed quickly on the level of emotion to expect this weekend.  I am sure all Minnesota players have a hatred engrained in them for North Dakota, so hopefully the veterans can express to guys like Jones, Adams and Kawaguchi the intensity level increase that will be needed from last weekend to this weekend.   When Rizzo visited a while ago, was that his official visit? Would be nice to have some big time recruits in this weekend to witness the atmosphere.  A lot of recruits in the past have committed after the series.

So I was just browsing some stats over on collegehockeynews, (because I'm a nerd) to prepare for this weekend's series and couple things jumped out that I thought I'd share.

1. UND's power play is clicking at a higher percent than Minnesota (:0 is the apocalypse coming?)

2. Minnesota is 4th in the country in penalty minutes and only kills 67% of their penalties.

Granted we are only a couple weeks into the season and we could be looking at completely different numbers later in the year, but intrepreting that info makes me understand why Minnesota has a 2-2 record. Power play hasn't been clicking, taking too many penalties and can't kill those penalties off that well. 

• Upvote 1