SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Minnesota

AZSIOUX

40 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

If its not a rivalry, why is it one of the only games they can fill marriuci for?

and again if its just a plain game, SEND ME YOUR TICKETS

Guck the Fophers.

Even if it was a plain game, why would I send you my tickets? dumb....

• Downvote 1

57 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Were you at Marriuci? Friday night was nuts and the crowd was going wild. I talked to Gopher fans who said it was the craziest atmosphere they've seen since the Big10 started and bemoaned the current state of their league because atmosphere was nothing like that weekend.

So according to you, I haven't moved on from the Sioux nickname right? 

I was there and I've gone to other games that have been full.

• Downvote 1

56 minutes ago, Mhockey said:

Not a rivalry? Why are the tickets for this weekend worth 5x as much as most conference play? If it's not a rivalry you should tell the people that are paying 150 a seat

Because people are building it up to something it isn't. When they played on a regular basis you could get that ticket any day of the week, now people see it as a way to make a quick buck. Just because it is a high ticket doesn't make it a rivalry, it just makes it a premier game.

• Downvote 5

"A sports rivalry is intense competition between athletic teams or athletes, but not directly related to the formal sport and the practice thereof. This pressure of competition is felt by players, coaches, and management, but is perhaps felt strongest by the fans."

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, tnt said:

Don't know that any other series that the ticket site at the Ralph would average $235 a ticket for over 550 tickets sold.  That would be the very definition of a rival. 

This series this weekend will be nothing like the ones from the past. They took too long to start playing and Lucia was right, it is cooled off and now it is just a PREMIER game. Play a weekend series every year from now and and then it will become a rivalry.

By your logic the Wild and the Golden Knights would be a rivalry because the ticket prices are on average $30 more than most other games.

12 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

Because people are building it up to something it isn't. When they played on a regular basis you could get that ticket any day of the week, now people see it as a way to make a quick buck. Just because it is a high ticket doesn't make it a rivalry, it just makes it a premier game.

If people get jacked for the game, and look forward to watching it, and reminisce about all their memories from previous match ups, etc. it IS a rivalry game. That doesn't mean it has the same implications as other rivalry games (ex. Denver), but it is still a rivalry game. A rivalry game does not always have direct implications on the success of the that particular season. 

A sports rivalry is intense competition between athletic teams or athletes, but not directly related to the formal sport and the practice thereof. This pressure of competition is felt by players, coaches, and management, but is perhaps felt strongest by the fans.

Rivalries require time.  They require history and tradition.  Pain and Joy of a collective fan base.  Those of us over 30 have vivid memories of battling the Gophers on the way to championships- the road to which ran through GF or Mariucci many times. I can see kids under 20 not having that same  collective memory and thus not appreciating what made the rivalry.  It wasn't the fights, the fights were the by-product.  It was the games for titles and to keep seasons alive, where both teams were great.

The rivalry was electric, especially in the 80's and the 2000's.  Gophers were a dynasty in the 70's and the Gino era led to super competitive games, in the 80's, UND won 3 titles, but the Gophers had amazing records and just couldn't finish.  In the 2000's both teams were awesome and some of those games, especially at the Final Five were legendary. Loaded with future NHLers.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

This series this weekend will be nothing like the ones from the past. They took too long to start playing and Lucia was right, it is cooled off and now it is just a PREMIER game. Play a weekend series every year from now and and then it will become a rivalry.

By your logic the Wild and the Golden Knights would be a rivalry because the ticket prices are on average $30 more than most other games.

So if players or coaches on UND talk about this weekend as a rivalry game, then they are idiots?

23 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

That may be how you see it. You are the minority without a doubt.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Mhockey said:

That may be how you see it. You are the minority without a doubt.

That's fine, it doesn't make me wrong though. Again, all I am saying is it isn't a HUGE rivalry as it once was, its cooled off far too long. To me it has been regulated to just a premier game. Play each other every year and you bet this will become a huge rivalry again

5 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

That's fine, it doesn't make me wrong though. Again, all I am saying is it isn't a HUGE rivalry as it once was, its cooled off far too long. To me it has been regulated to just a premier game. Play each other every year and you bet this will become a huge rivalry again

And if anyone thinks it's still a rivalry they can't move on from the Sioux nickname, right? :lol:

53 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

Uhhh...